Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally beat my buddy Chip at Labyrinth. I was determined to show him I'm getting better, then we had one of those games where I got most of the breaks. That's Labyrinth; sometimes you're just playing to see how well you can do under the circumstances. It's happened to me, too.

In the last turn I ended up with fourteen cards. Funding was in the toilet and only a few cells were on the board in Fair Ally Indo/Malay and Islamist Pakistan. Interestingly, Chip had four WMDs, the only time I've ever seen that, but the Patriot Act was in effect so it would not be easy for him to get to the U.S.

I held a card from the previous turn. Chip moved the I/M cells to Thailand and the Philippines then used a Martyrdom Operation to place two plots in the latter. In my first round I played Oil Price Spike (naturally, I got both OPS cards in what was supposed to be our first of two decks). I dumpster-dived for KSM and used him to Alert what turned out to be two WMD plots and draw two more cards. Two cards played, eleven now in hand.

Chip concentrated his three remaining cells in I/M, then recruited two in Pakistan. I played Martydom Operation. Chip replaced one I/M cell with two more plots. I used the 3 MO ops to Alert one of the plots, then played Let's Roll to remove the other and draw another card. (This time they were not WMDs.) Four cards played, ten now in hand.

Chip's third round was minor Jihad, which succeeded in knocking down I/M, and recruit I/M. Two cells each in Pakistan and I/M, and only one Jihadist card left. I played one op to Reserves, then tried to WoI I/M but totally failed (no Aid). Six cards played, eight in hand that I would be able to play without response - more cards than Chip had at the start of the turn!

In Chip's last round he travelled the Pakistani cells to I/M. Four cells to go, but I needed to successfully WoI I/M first. I did so with my 7th card play. Card 8 was Deploy two troops to I/M. Cards 9, 10, 11, and 12 I disrupted the cells out of I/M. No cells were left on the board for an instant U.S. win, with two unplayed cards left.

The I/M WoI was critical, else I would not have had enough ops to finish the game. The two unplayed cards were Jihadist events that placed cells I would not have been able to remove in time. That was the first time I've seen the U.S. win by removing all cells from the board. It would have been a curious world, with Jihadists reduced to only a handful, but still possessing significant WMD capability.

The craziest feeling though was sitting there with so many cards!

Tim K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Feldheim
Israel
flag msg tools
Seems like valid play, crazy though. I heard only in about 1% of games ends like this (all cells dead), and usually due to risk taking by the Jihadist knowing he/she has nothing to lose as things are just too bad.

14 cards is impressive indeed, I wonder what the maximum is though .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wow, impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.