BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: game reviews - have it your way rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gavin lalor
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Hey there to all the BGG inhabitants. My name is Vinn and I have decided to try my hand at doing some game reviews. I am a gamer at heart, and have been playing for as long as I can remember. I have not been an active poster on BGG and so I thought rather than just put up random game reviews with little history into who I am, I would provide some insights for you. I also thought it would be good to get some pre-posting feedback/suggestions about what you would like my reviews to contain.

For some people I have asked via private messages (you know who you are) they wanted my outlook on gaming, some wanted my life story, others wanted me to stop typing. With that in mind I give you Vinneth: the gamer.

As a very young imp/boy/problem child I can remember hounding my uncle to explain to me the games in his collection, including Britania, Civilization (the original), Mine a Million (one of my favourite childhood memories), and Swindle.

I moved on to cribbage with my parents and their friends, and in the early 90s pc games took my attention. I was particularly engaged with the mighty Diablo in 1995. We migrated to warhammer and warhammer quest, with book based Roleplaying (anyone for Rulemaster? I have 17 books with 200 charts we can examine every 2 minutes) becoming the norm on every weekend for a group of 4.

About 15 years ago my wife, best mate, and his wife, all got together to play Mah Jong after my wife decided she wanted it enough that i bought her a set for her birthday. That turned into a weekly gaming session that has expanded into the most awesome part of my week.

I love gaming, particularly eurogaming, because there is always a new type of game around the corner, and every game is a way of learning new ways of thinking. I enjoy the challenge of playing a game with a particular strategy in mind, developing that strategy for a few games, and then switching to a brand new one once people are comfortable with the way I am playing. To me the important thing isn't winning, it is the experience gained, the time spent, and the feeling of accomplishment.

I plan on providing reviews that give my playing perspective of the game, including the physical components, board, artwork, rule book, and most importantly for me, the interplay between the players, how games differ between different numbers of players, and the ways to play each game.

So far my favourite Euro game (along with most of the gaming world) is Ticket to Ride, particularly Europe. I am also a fan of Pizarro and Co, Ankh Morpork, and Stone Age.

Given a lot of the games I play are highly ranked on this site already, I wondered what it is people would like to have included in the reviews I am going to do. The games I plan on reviewing are below in a list, please give your feedback so the posts I do are relevant, helpful, and wanted.

Ticket to Ride: Europe
Stone Age
Pizarro and Co
Ankh Morpork
7 Wonders
Munchkin
Bohnanza
Ra
Race for the Galaxy
Alhambra
Monty Python Flux

If there are any other games you would like reviewed, feel free to suggest them. I am always looking for our next game, and whilst I don't yet spend a lot on our games, we are at that time of year where we purchase a couple to get us through the heat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.