Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

Many of you have seen our recent announcement of our upcoming game Quarantine. We're definitely looking forward to bringing you this game.

On the other hand, the team at Mercury Games enjoy both designer-style games and war games. And we know that BGG has quite a few folks who like war games too!

This is why Mercury Games is telling all fellow fans of war games (or "wargames" if you prefer) that we have not forgotten about you! In fact, we have another big announcement with you in mind.

We would like to invite you all to keep an eye on us here on BGG, but specifically during the week of December 10th, 2012. That week, we'll be making an announcement that should have wargaming fans very excited indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
otrex wrote:
(or "wargames" if you prefer)

Yes, we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am really hoping it's Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
otrex wrote:
(or "wargames" if you prefer)

Yes, we do.

Me too. Spellcheck seems to be the only dissenting voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I think its going to involve zombies...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is going to be funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you're excited about whatever it is, Kevin, but in my case at least, you'd do better by waiting until you're ready to actually tell us what you've got. When I read an announcement for a future announcement, I just get irritated.

(I hope that's useful feedback. It's not like wasting a minute of my time is that big a deal, but if I'm not the lone ranger, somebody should tell you. Marketing 101 tricks meant to build interest have the opposite effect on some of us.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Testy Testerson
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I'm sure you're excited about whatever it is, Kevin, but in my case at least, you'd do better by waiting until you're ready to actually tell us what you've got. When I read an announcement for a future announcement, I just get irritated.

(I hope that's useful feedback. It's not like wasting a minute of my time is that big a deal, but if I'm not the lone ranger, somebody should tell you. Marketing 101 tricks meant to build interest have the opposite effect on some of us.)

Seconded. It's not enough to make me "HAET MERCURY GAMES FOREVAR" or anything, but it is kind of vexing. I don't have countdowns going for companies that mostly publish euros where they better publish a wargame soon OR ELSE!

That said, I will still look forward to the game announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Fair enough; I think that's reasonable feedback. It wasn't our intent to "string you along" with this announcement.

Being both a new company and not yet known for wargames, we were concerned that the information may not reach all those who would want to hear. As wargamers ourselves, we often notice some general complaints in the wargame forum because it is forced to play "second-fiddle" to the Eurogame forums. Sometimes the main announcement can be missed by readers, and then they find out well after the fact when its "old news".

That's all I can add to this for now; I think additional reasons will become clear as we make more information available. Hopefully the time you spent reading this posting will be well rewarded next week (though we acknowledge that no matter what we announce, it certainly can't please everyone).

Again, we always value well-reasoned feedback. I'd like to think that we would never turn our back on constructive criticism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. No wonder we are called Grognards. Grumble grumble...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate your thinking of us, Kevin.

But if we don't like the surprise, we're gonna raise holy hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

Agreed. I also, personally, felt that the tone of the original post was a little patronizing. It's not like wargamers are shut in a ghetto with only 2 games to play. We're living in a time where there are several excellent wargame companies who produce high-quality games, and we're devoted to them. In order to get our attention, it's going to take a little more than, "hey, wargamers, don't worry, we'll make a game you'll like too!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wait. How are we so sure this is actually a wargame? Should we start a thread about the discussion now and get it all over with?

I feel I should actually discuss the topic as well. I'm not a big fan of the announcement of an announcement. However, that doesn't make me any less excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under promise and over deliver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please go ahead and forget us! We're all set! but thanks! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Marketing 101 tricks meant to build interest have the opposite effect on some of us.

Fair enough; I think that's reasonable feedback...we were concerned that the information may not reach all those who would want to hear.

That's all I can add to this for now; I think additional reasons will become clear as we make more information available. Hopefully the time you spent reading this posting will be well rewarded next week

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but why when people are trying to sell me something do they always insist on telling me that I'm the one going who's going to be rewarded when they get my money for their magic beans?

Anyway, consider me waiting with bated breath until whatever obstacle is preventing you from releasing your information ceases to oppress you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
As wargamers ourselves,

I have no idea whom you are, but I skimmed your list of owned games here on the geek and think it contained several items and comments to support that statement. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of that block nonsense, hexes and counters please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not bothered at all by the announcement of an announcement. However I do wonder if the game will have minefields, considering the OP just walked into one here......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
otrex wrote:

This is why Mercury Games is telling all fellow fans of war games (or "wargames" if you prefer) that we have not forgotten about you! In fact, we have another big announcement with you in mind.

Who are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Just let me give you my address for that review copy... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Low
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
otrex wrote:
Hi Folks,

Welcome to the (sub)forum. I hope you survive your time here. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
Just let me give you my address for that review copy... whistle

Stand in line... angry behind me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the future, if we're going to be getting announcements announcing announcements, I think I'd like an announcement in advance of the announcement's announcement.

Just as an...announcement, you know. I like to be kept abreast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't this a fun thread?

I hope the game is as fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.