Subject: Some NEW mage knight impressions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MARIOS CHRISTAKIS
Greece
KASTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I made a review before about Mage knight and its diferences between D&D miiatures game and warhammer. Now after a long time I want to make again a new review from other point of view.

After many months (more than a year...) and after many game sessions with other games (I am a warhammer fan and player now, fantasy and 40k) and after many board game session I had the thought to play again "some" mage knight.
I read again the rules to clear some things inside my head, I made two 200-points warbands and I gave it a try with my wife on a well-done wargaming table with grass, buildings and stuff.

We used objectives and kill points (each figure count as a point) and at our second game we used time limit that gave a great feeling to the game.We played for 1 hour and a half.

First thought about the rules....Work really well.You have to play it to understand how it plays correctly and why there is the "pushing" rule (at first I thought that was a borring rule). I strong believe that after you learned your figures-warriors you can be "one" with them and feel the game much more than change the warriors game after game.You have to invest some time on this game to receive its magic touch.
I have to tell that I use figures from different sets and I use the 2.0 rules and I don't find any problem (but I understand many complaints from gamers that they had invest time and money to 1.0 edition and then the problems that they had with the 2.0 edition).
But the purpose of this review is exactly that. I had bought some years before many miniatures at low price (with darkriders boosters, sorcery and some more) and now I have a box full of them and I decided to give it a try and as I said before I had a blast!

The game plays fast, the MAIN "wizkids mage knight thing" with different stats after hits or pushing give life to the game and If you have create a good team then you can live a great adventure or a great battle-skirmish.

One more thing, I decide to use the same teams inside a dungeon (using d&d tiles) but without the mage knight-dungeon rules, but with some hindering or concealing terrain images to make the dungeon come to life. I just want to play a normal mage knight game inside a dungeon BUT at the same time I had throw blank objects-tokens from object-item cards from mage knight (I don't know from which expansion-booster) and we put the wining condition:item cost.The player that receive and control or take out from the dungeon an item, he will receive its point cost.Simple and easy.

A blast again! Mage knight worked great, with no home rules except the simple "ability" to receive-thow-control an item.There was a great session with much tension because we didn't know which token corespond to each item.
Sorry if I confused some of you with the dungeon game thing.

One thing I want to say at last. Mage knight was and is a great miniature game that can give many hours of replayability and can create a great and UNIQUE fantasy atmosphere because of its well done world and many special abilities that give a great flavor to the game.
Perfect for "heavy" gamers that they want to play a fast battle without a headache after an hour and at the same time is an easy game for a "normal" moderate gamer.

Mage knight is at my "loving" games list now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.