Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT: Sal's Unconditional Surrender! vs Danny's The Supreme Commander
Hey, so I am looking for my next purchase and I want a grand WW2 in Europe game.
I have looked a a bunch of games that look to complex (total krieg...). The wife would like these.... then I find a few that I like but are kinda spendy(eastfront2/westfront/euro) and then I am cruising GMT and find these 2 beauties for a nice price:

Unconditional Surrender! http://www.gmtgames.com/p-310-unconditional-surrender.aspx

and

The Supreme Commander http://www.gmtgames.com/p-278-the-supreme-commander.aspx

they look similar. Can any one help me figure out how they are different?
Thanks

P.s. I am double posting this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe has monthly turns. That makes for a long campaign game. Conversely, it might make the individual scenarios more interesting.

I think The Supreme Commander has 8 turns/year, which is already a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. Sal gave me a link to download his whole game... way cool. I am going to try it and most likely preorder it.

I find it interesting that GMT is doing 2 very similar games at the same time. Strange really. They both look like winners. I hope they make both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elrond3737 wrote:
Thanks. Sal gave me a link to download his whole game... way cool. I am going to try it and most likely preorder it.

I find it interesting that GMT is doing 2 very similar games at the same time. Strange really. They both look like winners. I hope they make both.

They cover the same period, but my impression is they are not that similar and that is why GMT was willing to put both games out there at the same time.

I have to admit to not expecting TSC to still being on P500 after all this time. When USE got on P500, I thought TSC was far enough along that it would be published by now. But things happened and it wasn't. It may have hurt both of us to some degree, but they'll eventually get done. In fact, TSC is scheduled to be printed 2nd quarter 2013.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
elrond3737 wrote:

Thanks. Please let me know how it goes.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have case blue set up and ready to go... I will try and muck my way through some of it tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was out of touch wearing the Green for much of 2010 due to other commitments..

svasta wrote:
elrond3737 wrote:

They cover the same period, but my impression is they are not that similar and that is why GMT was willing to put both games out there at the same time.

I have to admit to not expecting TSC to still being on P500 after all this time. When USE got on P500, I thought TSC was far enough along that it would be published by now. But things happened and it wasn't. It may have hurt both of us to some degree, but they'll eventually get done. In fact, TSC is scheduled to be printed 2nd quarter 2013.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is kinda neat that game designers actually respond to the masses(hate that term). I am planning on playing Sal's this weekend and reading Danny's rule book at various times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pfeiffer
United States
Laporte
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duh.
One major difference is time.
Unconditional Surrender: 30 mins to 3000 mins
The Supreme Commander: 300 mins

similar amount of counters. same size map. similar playing aids.

Not sure how the play differs. I can only assume that SC is a faster playing game.

Crap... I might have to buy both just to figure it out. That is what Danny and Sal would want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse LeBreton
United States
Kingsford
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elrond3737 wrote:
It is kinda neat that game designers actually respond to the masses(hate that term). I am planning on playing Sal's this weekend and reading Danny's rule book at various times.

That's because these guys are just regular guys like us. I've met many game designers, and they are not Egomaniacs. They just love playing board games like us, but have taken it one step further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lebatron wrote:
elrond3737 wrote:

That's because these guys are just regular guys like us. I've met many game designers, and they are not Egomaniacs. They just love playing board games like us, but have taken it one step further.

Thanks for the compliment. My dream is to one day be such a successful designer that I'll be famous and rich enough to be an egomaniac, but not become one.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, would an egomaniac recognise that he was an egomaniac? I'm not sure egomaniacs are self-analytical enough to notice. They're simply always right, after all...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HenryTheSecond wrote:
Hmmm, would an egomaniac recognise that he was an egomaniac? I'm not sure egomaniacs are self-analytical enough to notice. They're simply always right, after all...

Of course we're always right. And humble, don't forget very humble.

For those interested, SC should be shipping now and USE is tentatively set to publish in Nov-2013.

Sal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.