13 Posts

Memoir '44» Forums » General

Subject: Air Pack, Command & Colors, Clunkers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Allen
msg tools
Few quick questions:

1. Is not having Air Pack a detriment to playing Pacific Theater or any of the other scenarios? (Many people seem to find the Air Pack rules confusing but I don't know if not having them at all would make a scenario even less interesting.)

2. How do the other Command & Colors games compare to Memoir '44?

3. Are there any generally acknowledged clunker expansions or scenarios in the Memoir '44 that I should avoid?

I just purchased the core and Eastern Front and Pacific Theater game pack and am anxious to play. It's been years since I had a chance to war game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark A
New Zealand
Rolleston
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the airpack, but have never used it.
IMHO not using it does not make the Pacific scenarios any less fun.

Have you tried the online version of M44.
When you sign up you get some free "Gold Ingots" which allows you to try a few battles for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaving out the Air Pack rules/features doesn't diminsh the gameplay in any way, in my opinion. Scenarios are perfectly playable without the expansion.

C&C:A has a different feel and tempo than M44. I prefer C&C:A - the battle back mechanic means you can get hurt by taking bad risks and the Line of Command type cards means that the position and formation of your units (besides left/center/right) is important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mallen717 wrote:
Few quick questions:

1. Is not having Air Pack a detriment to playing Pacific Theater or any of the other scenarios? (Many people seem to find the Air Pack rules confusing but I don't know if not having them at all would make a scenario even less interesting.)

3. Are there any generally acknowledged clunker expansions or scenarios in the Memoir '44 that I should avoid?

I just purchased the core and Eastern Front and Pacific Theater game pack and am anxious to play. It's been years since I had a chance to war game.

Thanks!

1. People want Air Pack for the cards, terrain, and the updated scenarios. Very few people like/use the air rules, and the cards are downloadable online I believe. Also the updated scenarios have no effect other than having terrain tiles that came later such as putting actual lake tiles in for the lake on Pegasus Bridge. Overall, you don't need it at all, and certainly not worth paying a ton for.

2. M44 is fairly simple in terms of rules and relies heavily on terrain and positioning. C&C:A and C&C:N are much more formation oriented and have very little terrain. They are also a step up in complexity featuring things like leaders and greater troop variation. Overall I prefer C&C:A to M44 which was a little too light and fiddly for me. I have not played Battllore, but you probably don't want to start investing in that now anyway.

3. In general, you will find most people will recommend any of the battle packs as they add a good bit of variation with Eastern probably being the most recommended. Investing in overlord and breakthrough can also be good if you expect to play a lot, but they are bigger investments since you will really need a few purchases to really get them going. Overall I don't think there is explicitly any expansion to avoid other than the Air Pack and the Bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Hurtt
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I compared the various variants of Borg's rules on my blog. That shows you a lot of the concepts that come out in his designs, and which one use which.

Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Allen
msg tools
Thanks to each of you for your fast and courteous replies! It is greatly appreciated.

I'm new to the website and, while browsing through the various game comments, I've been discovering that most of the forum members are very helpful and knowledgeable. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mallen717 wrote:
Few quick questions:

Thanks!

1. For me, the biggest advantage of the Air Pack is the revised scenarios. I'm not a big fan of the air rules, as I think having the airplanes flying around is a distraction.

2. Battle Cry is less detailed than Memoir '44. The other games in the series are more detailed. I like the "battle back" close combat mechanic that is included in the other games in the series.

3. I think most of the packs are quite good. I particularly like the Breakthrough command deck that's part of the Memoir '44: Winter Wars expansion. In fact, I prefer using the Breakthrough deck even for regular scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Not having the Air Pack is no detriment, as others have said the air rules aren't necessary and the expansion's biggest benefit is for those who own the Terrain Pack and other expansions, as it ties everything together in a big modular system.

Myself, I love the air rules, and don't find them complicated or distracting at all. Any one scenario will only invoke a fraction of the air rules anyway, and strafing and ground interdiction are useful abilities (and it's just plain fun to push a plane around the board). I use them whenever possible.

That all said, AP is out-of-print, so that's all moot.

3. The Campaign Bag is the only real clunker. But it's also OOP, so another moot point.

To summarize: I have nothing material to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Bristol
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
Overall I don't think there is explicitly any expansion to avoid other than the Air Pack and the Bag.
I am not a big fan of the expansion pack that was just released, Memoir '44: Equipment Pack. The badges worked fine for me and the grey figures I find distracting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agung Waspodo
Indonesia
Depok
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having an airplane on the board looks rather cool to me, it's the "keeping it fly" rule with section cards matching it that makes it so not-cool and takes away precious opportunities for land unit action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
mallen717 wrote:
Few quick questions:

Thanks!

Air Pack! thumbsdown (completely non-essential)

Everything else is the bees knees!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego (Scripps Ranch)
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is correct in stating that the Air Pack is not essential. However, whether one likes using it or not is subjective. Personally, I find it interesting and see tactical additions that help enhance the game.

Well, I really really enjoy Ancients, which I consider one of the best boardgames to play! I only now own the 1st Ancients game and didn't want to get into the purchase of all of the expansions. Although I, myself, have gotten a bit tired of Battle Cry, I know that others like all of the other Commands and Colors games.

Already covered. And, of course, forget about the storage bag (which I bought and wish I'd spent the money somewhere else).

I just purchased the core and Eastern Front and Pacific Theater game pack and am anxious to play. It's been years since I had a chance to war game. Although many prefer Eastern Front, I love Pacific Theater! I think Eastern Front interest stems from an overall interest in that theater of war. However, I also know of many who don't really enjoy the "Commissar Rules", although I like the rule. I feel that Pacific Theater does an excellent job of distinguishing the Japanese forces method of fighting. If used properly, they can be devastating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Allen
msg tools
I was wondering about the value of the storage pack. I'll skip that and stick with trying to find a plastic utility box at the dollar store.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.