Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Complete Trilogy – Adventure Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: More info? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kinda interested in this, but know next to nothing about the game itself.

Does anyone who has it want to share some further info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Short answer: Avoid. Really.

I bought the Pressman 'Hobbit' tie-in game which purports to be plug-compatible, so to speak, with the LotR game and which I think I can reasonably infer to be quite similar.

All the meaningful decision-making of Candyland and Chutes and Ladders combined with a lot of fussy record-keeping; apparently Pressman was too cheap to supply currency-like counters for life points or a scoring track instead of a scorepad). Nothing but dice rolling and do-what-it-says card drawing of the sort where you need card X in order to use card Y when it is drawn, or in order to get past point Z on the board. One card does nothing but tell you you are going to need cards A and B to get past point Z. Oh, sometimes you can give victory points to other players or get them by boosting others' positions, but since there's no scoring track, this isn't facilitated by the game's pencil-and-paper tracking ("excuse me, how many points do you have now? And you? And, oh, everyone else?").

Too fussy for small fry; too mindless for anyone else. The film images weren't even very good (the 'stealth goblins' are a pretty much undifferentiated black frame; another card is the image of a blurry pair of feet). I have no reason to think the LotR game is any better, except that nine walkers are slightly less unwieldy than thirteen dwarves and their two friends, and there are probably better still-photo assets from which Pressman could select card and board images.

Somewhat disappointing, but perhaps not so much from a company whose usual stock in trade is franchise games based on Power Rangers and Smurfs.

With the film imminent, it is surprising how few 'Hobbit' film tie-in games are out there. There's Games Workshop ($85 and up), there's the Hobbit Heroclix (which it seems that Wizkids got out in time, though you couldn't tell it by looking at the front page of their web site), there's this thing, and there's the Lego product, a cute little memory game which is probably a better buy as a family game if you like the Lego style of art. But you asked about the LotR game, not the Hobbit game, so never mind...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn S
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with Mike. This game is not fun. In any regard. All the pain of a no choices track game, plus annoying fidgeting, plus the most boring combat ever. We played 2 hours and tried so hard to love it, but ultimately ended up quitting out of frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Greuel
Benin
Dulles
Virginia
msg tools
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16
badge
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." -Mark 16:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if you've seen any of the Roseart games named after each movie that came out along with the trilogy, but this seems to be a condensed version of all of them. I haven't played it yet, but it looks like there's a little less garbage, no 3-D board anymore, and the same lame gameplay. We're going to play it tonight since we spent the money on it, but I'm not expecting to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Millett
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, lots of hate for this game. I think its an okay game, but you need the right group of people to play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Greuel
Benin
Dulles
Virginia
msg tools
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." -John 3:16
badge
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned." -Mark 16:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I think more people is better. I don't enjoy having to move a whole bunch of non-player characters just to get to the end once all the playable characters have done what they needed to do. I have a feeling the Hobbit version of this game will be much more of that since all the Dwarves need to survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.