Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a simple "Sudden Death" optional rule I'm thinking of perhaps adding if there is a reprint (or not!), for both 1st edition or 2nd edition rules.

"After 1941 there can only be a German "Sudden Death" victory if Moscow is controlled by them"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that negates the possibility of a Case Blue style of victory in the Summer of 1942 - does it not?

Will it not channel play to the north half of the board and result in an ahistorical 1942 Summer campaign by the Germans?

Just my initial thoughts - great game anyways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you explain whether the motive greater historical realism, or game balance, or something else?

Is the anticipated benefit worth the extra cost of an additional rule/exception to remember, and probable confusion/disagreement when opponents meet and play, only one of whom knows about the new rule change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the way the game naturally flows north to south (usually), as the initial drive to Moscow stalls in the forests but the wide open spaces of the south beckon the Axis in 1942. I'm very much opposed to the rule, Carl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenhope wrote:
I love the way the game naturally flows north to south (usually), as the initial drive to Moscow stalls in the forests but the wide open spaces of the south beckon the Axis in 1942. I'm very much opposed to the rule, Carl.

Well, it's only an OPTIONAL rule anyway, so you cannot really oppose it. If regular rule, then yes!

So... This was just an idea; it's perhaps too "Historically Constraining". I thought about it because in a LOT of games (if not the majority) I have seen the Soviets defend almost equally all along the front. Historically Stalin concentrated tons of troops in front of Moscow in a defensive posture in 1942 and this allowed the Germans very spectacular advances in the south (the Soviet fiasco at Kharkov also helped I guess).

But it's perhaps better to let players "suffer" through their "mistakes". Usually when I play the Soviets in 1942 I put out a very strong defence in front of Moscow. The one game I lost I sent too many troops south at the start of 1942 (goaded to do so by onlookers, so this was not my fault, really. LOL!); And lost by just one point (Tula was captured and two infantry Fronts died OOS)! Usually I prefer to let the Germans go deep in the south.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easier to encircle them later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.