Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Godstar
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just curious if anyone caught that they used the Dragon Magazine #108 artwork (I have it and when I saw the artwork in game I thought it looked familiar!) for one of the characters in the game.

Did they use any other art pieces from Dragon or elsewhere? I wonder if they had to license that, and if that's more expensive than coming up with your own art. Also, if so, why was that particular piece chosen over others?

Very interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They used Larry Elmore's art for the game; I think it's a good bet that he did the cover for that issue of Dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godstar
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you're right and now I feel silly and didn't realize what a vast body of work he's done over the years, and the connection to the game.

That's what I get for not reading the artist's signature underneath my old Dragon magazines I was rifling through this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the art work in the game was done by Larry Elmore, who has done tons of great fantasy artwork. I remember him doing lots of art work for TSR in the 80s -- Dragon, Dragon Lance, etc. One of the main reasons why I bought Defenders was for the artwork as for me being a teenager in the 80s, Elmore is fantasy art.

I don't think there was any new work done for Defenders of the Realm but I think some of may have been touched up a bit to reduce the amount of skin.

Considering Eagle Games mentions using his art work a big selling point in their description of the game I think it is a safe bet that they paid him for his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
but I think some of may have been touched up a bit to reduce the amount of skin.

With this image being a prime example of that having been done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Still, it's neat to see the original piece. Thanks for digging it up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools

There is (or was) a thread on this from way back when it first came out. I think that's his wife, which is all the more reason to reuse it.

Hmmm, all I could find is this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/727279/defenders-of-the-r...

I think Eagle's forums were long gone by the time the game was released, so I don't know where I heard that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
All the art work in the game was done by Larry Elmore, who has done tons of great fantasy artwork. I remember him doing lots of art work for TSR in the 80s -- Dragon, Dragon Lance, etc. One of the main reasons why I bought Defenders was for the artwork as for me being a teenager in the 80s, Elmore is fantasy art.

Evidently a lot of people feel the same, going by how well Elmore's kickstarter project for his body of work is doing.
http://kck.st/Sx6ksx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Ryan
Australia
Richlands
QLD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
One of the main reasons why I bought Defenders was for the artwork as for me being a teenager in the 80s, Elmore is fantasy art.

What he said.

I was on the verge of buying Pandemic waaay back when as my first co-op game, as I'd heard nothing but rave reviews and I liked everything about the idea of it... except the theme.

So then I hear about this game that's (let's face it) essentially the same... BUT with a fantasy theme, lots of dice rolling, lots of miniatures AND the fantasy art by Elmore that I grew up with?

OH YEAH BABY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for sharing that cover!

clip611 wrote:
I don't think there was any new work done for Defenders of the Realm

I think the game's cover was a new work: I don't remember having seen that drawing before.

Anyhow, for me too Elmore's art was what made me buy Defenders: I loved and still love his paintings so much, they are how fantasy paintings should look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.