Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there!

Recently i started painting miniatures. I really enjoy it!
I've copy of Descent at home, so i started out by painting a couple of those miniatures. Thing is that its a lot of the same and i would like to paint more different and unique miniatures. Also, the miniatures are not of good quality. Many have bends in them. So i'm searching for a boardgame that has special miniatures. I noticed Kingdom Death: Monster on Kickstarter. Thats exactly what i'm searching for. Does anyone know similiair games?

I'm not searching for games like Warhammer. I had a starter box of that once, but i don't really like that kinda games so i never got to painting more then 1 miniature of it. I also have a Tide of Iron, but those miniatures are way to small (and again, to many of the same).

Tips are welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide has wargame quality minis. Sedition Wars does as well but isn't out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Zombicide has wargame quality minis. Sedition Wars does as well but isn't out yet.

Yeah, noticed those

Should have mentioned that i already asked Santa Claus for Zombicide
So i'm searching for anything other then that (or Kingdom Death).. and preferably something that is out already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most miniatures that come with board games are not the best quality, and as you have noticed you get multiple copies of the same figures.

There are a lot of companies that make excellent miniatures that are not necessarily paired with a specific game. Some of my favorites are made by Heresy Miniatures, Hasslefree, and Copplestone Miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
Most miniatures that come with board games are not the best quality, and as you have noticed you get multiple copies of the same figures.

There are a lot of companies that make excellent miniatures that are not necessarily paired with a specific game. Some of my favorites are made by Heresy Miniatures, Hasslefree, and Copplestone Miniatures.

Yeah perhaps thats the best option. Perhaps i can find miniatures of the same size as Descent and them use them in the game, because i really want to be using them.. not just for show

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk (third edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of war
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Super Dungeon Explore if you are specifically looking for miniatures that come with a boardgame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find Song of Blades and Heroes to be an excellent game for using any fantasy miniatures you choose.

Reaper miniatures is another manufacturer I like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot
Mice and Mystics

and any of these...
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9547/dungeons-and-d...

EDIT:

OR Best Eye-Candy board games with miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 2nd edition of Cave Troll has some cool minis.

You could also go with something like Dungeoneer and add in the miniatures of your choice to replace the cardboard standees. Caesar Miniatures has some very cheap but good quality packs of plastic fantasy miniatures. They're not hard to find online.

When working with plastic miniatures, you often have to straighten them first. You do it by filling a mug with hot water (just boiled) and then immersing the bent mini for about 10 to 20 seconds. It will straighten by itself, but if there is still some bend afterwards, you can straighten it with your fingers while it's still warm. I drop mine into a glass of ice water once I'm happy with the position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay I
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malifaux
Puppet Wars
Earth Reborn
Hordes
Warmachine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As already mentioned above, boardgame-wise Earth Reborn is probably your best bet. Only two of the same type of models, namely two zombies (one male, one female). Plus, they are already primed (but not deflashed, which is sad). The game itself is amongst the best of what you can get in this genre at the moment, even compared to 'real' miniature games.
But that's just a personal opinion.

If you want some 'real' miniature games, check out Infinity and MERCS. Haven't played those games myself, but keep on reading about them because I'm interested in them. Be aware that in order to really enjoy both of them you need a ton (literally) of scenery, ideally multi-story buildings (or ruins). This is true for most of the small scale skirmish systems out there, so it's a factor you should take into account.

Also, Necromunda or Mortheim could both fit your bill. Both of them old GW systems where the only thing you need to start is a gang, rulebook is for free. Plus the mandatory ton of multi-story buildings, of course. Since they are of an older design, gameplay is not as sophisticated as it is in modern miniature systems, but you have a campaign system included, improving your gang characters over time.
Same as above: not played it myself, information is gathered by reading about the games (or their respective rulebooks, since they are free).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! That is a lot to choose from. First impression is that i prefer games like Puppet Wars above the GW games(read: i like the the ones including a gameboard).

Earth Reborn also looks very nice. Gonna look into it more, soon thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.