Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb

Ok so this has been puzzling me... if you can move 'upstream' against a current and scurry so that you don't keep ending up on the same space how can a mouse end up being pushed off the board and being captured? Surely you just scurry all the time to avoid it til u can get out?

I kinda like the idea that you can't move against the current as makes it more challenging. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are more minions than mice in the same space as the active mouse, he or she can't move out of the space.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you could be blocked from moving upstream if the space you want to move to is full. I don't think it's really meant to be a significant danger, but it does restrict your options. You might back yourself into a position where you have to choose between fighting a minion and moving up-stream. Also, depending on how you deal with it, it could slow you down, meaning you could end up with more cheese on the wheel than otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Collins
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, has anyone been in a situation where you need to move a mouse downstream at the end of their turn but the target space is full? I played it that it just didn't move, not sure what everyone else thinks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, Mark.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Also, you could be blocked from moving upstream if the space you want to move to is full. I don't think it's really meant to be a significant danger, but it does restrict your options. You might back yourself into a position where you have to choose between fighting a minion and moving up-stream. Also, depending on how you deal with it, it could slow you down, meaning you could end up with more cheese on the wheel than otherwise.

Good answer Ray.

It's not crazy difficult to keep from getting pushed off the board, but there are situations that can make it more difficult, with situations you mentioned. The other thing you mentioned that was key is that while a mouse can keep scurrying to keep from being swept away, the cheese wheel can keep getting filled up and surges can happen, which will cause more issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
daveyleedsUK wrote:

Ok so this has been puzzling me... if you can move 'upstream' against a current and scurry so that you don't keep ending up on the same space how can a mouse end up being pushed off the board and being captured? Surely you just scurry all the time to avoid it til u can get out?

I kinda like the idea that you can't move against the current as makes it more challenging. Thoughts anyone?

Cheers
you cannot move against the stream. You can only move in the direction of the current.

(Crud, I just looked back at the rulebook, and it is not mentioned that a mouse cannot move against the current, this is an oversight. Mice cannot move against the direction of he current.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, wow. So in Chapter 1, after the mice drop through the grate into the Sewer, they basically have three turns to swim to the other side and get out of the water (assuming nothing blocks the current from pushing them)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Oh, wow. So in Chapter 1, after the mice drop through the grate into the Sewer, they basically have three turns to swim to the other side and get out of the water (assuming nothing blocks the current from pushing them)?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Klaw
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yow, so you have to choose between fending off the attacking minions or searching for the thread and needle. I think I like it better that way; I promised the kids we would do scenario 1 again this weekend so I'll try playing with the corrected rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Phillips
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire,
flag msg tools
mb
nobeerblues wrote:
daveyleedsUK wrote:

Cheers
you cannot move against the stream. You can only move in the direction of the current.

(Crud, I just looked back at the rulebook, and it is not mentioned that a mouse cannot move against the current, this is an oversight. Mice cannot move against the direction of he current.)

Kewl. I thought so otherwise seems too easy. I like this idea and that is how I've bin playing it as makes it more exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Yes.

So, in the King's Tunnels, going from the ladder to the large platform, or the large platform to the small platform, you literally have one opportunity to Scurry up the other side of the stream, before being swept away?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Cheers[/q]you cannot move against the stream. You can only move in the direction of the current.

(Crud, I just looked back at the rulebook, and it is not mentioned that a mouse cannot move against the current, this is an oversight. Mice cannot move against the direction of he current.)[/q]

Where did you read this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adjacentbeastman wrote:
Where did you read this?

In his mind? As the designer of the game, Jerry doesn't need an external source to be authoritative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Austria
Graz
Steiermark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh it's the designer =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Yes.

So, in the King's Tunnels, going from the ladder to the large platform, or the large platform to the small platform, you literally have one opportunity to Scurry up the other side of the stream, before being swept away?
I'm not sure I'm following you. The King's Tunnels seems to be a fairly easy water based obstacle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's not that difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:
I'm not sure I'm following you. The King's Tunnels seems to be a fairly easy water based obstacle.

Really? I must be misinterpreting something. As I interpret the map, from the ladder platform it's impossible to reach the small platform by the stream on the left. If you jump into he right stream as far upstream as possible, at the end of your turn you're swept down to the space just before the black exit space. From that space it looks to me like the walls block your movement to the big platform, and you have to climb back to the ladder platform to start over. If the intent was to be able to reach both sides of the stream from that space, then it would've been fairly trivial to make the map MUCH clearer with only slight alterations. Removing the pebble on the corner, or nudging the line in the river up by 1/4" on that side would make that intention clear; instead I'm left to interpret that it's all supposed to be wall.

Crossing from the large platform to the small platform is a nearly identical circumstance.

This layout made perfect sense to me when you could swim upstream, but seems like a seriously difficult traverse now. In chapter 4 we had 3 non-ranged mice against an Elite Rat warrior on the small platform; I'm pretty sure he would've killed us all under these rules. Or maybe I just need to roll better and it won't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
As I interpret the map, from the ladder platform it's impossible to reach the small platform by the stream on the left.

As I read it, you could jump in with your movement and then immediately use your action to scurry up onto the left platform, but if you missed then you would be swept downstream. From there you would have two full turns to climb back up onto the ladder platform.

Quote:
If you jump into he right stream as far upstream as possible, at the end of your turn you're swept down to the space just before the black exit space. From that space it looks to me like the walls block your movement to the big platform, and you have to climb back to the ladder platform to start over. If the intent was to be able to reach both sides of the stream from that space, then it would've been fairly trivial to make the map MUCH clearer with only slight alterations. Removing the pebble on the corner, or nudging the line in the river up by 1/4" on that side would make that intention clear; instead I'm left to interpret that it's all supposed to be wall.

I disagree with that interpretation. The pebble separating the water space from the far side of the stream is much smaller than the base of a mouse figure, so per the adjacency rules these two spaces seem clearly adjacent to me. I would say that jumping into the upstream space, you have one scurry action plus one full turn to attempt to climb out onto the far side. If you miss all of those, then I think that the dark space is still within reach of the ladder side, so you would still have one more full turn to try to climb out on that side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Genschmer

Alabama
msg tools
I was under the impression that anytime you move into water, either from non-water space to water, or water to water, your turn ended. So how can you make a scurry action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krisgensch wrote:
I was under the impression that anytime you move into water, either from non-water space to water, or water to water, your turn ended. So how can you make a scurry action?

Your movement (not your turn) ends when moving into a water space. So you have to stop your movement upon entering a water space, but then you can use a Scurry action to move again. But the water rules still apply, so if you use Scurry to move from one water space to another, you still end your move on the second water space. But if you are adjacent to a land space, you can use Scurry to attempt to climb out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing this wrong the opposite way originally. I had interpreted "your movement ends" to mean "you cannot move for the rest of the turn" not "lose your remaining movement points for this move action." It seemed... pretty harsh.

Knowing that you can scurry, just not upstream, it seems like a good balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Sewickley
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobeerblues wrote:

This is good to know, but I wish this was included in the FAQ on the Plaid Hat site. Seems like a VERY important rule omission that players need to know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hawthorne
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruskicowboy wrote:
nobeerblues wrote:

This is good to know, but I wish this was included in the FAQ on the Plaid Hat site. Seems like a VERY important rule omission that players need to know about.
this is important. It will be in the next FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Hadn't realized that we couldn't move against the current, definitely good to know though!

Is it confirmed then that scurry can be used both to move a second space in water, and be able to test twice to climb out of water? (Our group had also never considered this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.