Popular Tags: [View All]
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Often when an old game arrives through eBay, I find the previous owner's name, either printed on a game envelope or scribbled elsewhere. It always seem to give me pause and I have even googled the fella's name to see if his obituary can be found. (Why else would someone give up a game, right?) Is this normal behavior?

Poll
Have you ever googled the name of a game's previous owner?
Of course, why do you think they invented Google?
Well, I would prefer not to admit it.
Morbid, man. Morbid.
Have you no decency, sir?
The past is past. (But why in hell did he have to use a push pin on all the corners?)
Other.
      176 answers
Poll created by Kluvon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never encountered a name, so the option hasn't been there yet. But I don't think I will. I imagine it'd kinda be like buying a house, knowing someone died in the living room. Forever weird.

With my luck,I'd google them and find out they died from a highly infectious disease. That is transmitted through cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
No, but I have continued to use their house rules, clarifications, improvements, and suggested new rules based on what they read in "scribble scribble by scribble - note RETURN TO LIBRARY"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
Scotland
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted: OTHER. And the description of my other would be: Errmm...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes Ebay sellers specify that an item is from a deceased estate and I must admit it gives me pause..at 58 I'm coming to realise that I may not live to play all my as yet unplayed games...

But on the other hand a couple of years ago on this very website...

Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb

..said that a true gamer CAN'T die until that last game is played which gives you some idea as to what form the coming Zombie Apocalypse may take..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Death is contagious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and terminal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Other. Don't care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Internet is the friend/bane of we obsessively curious! I can't calculate all the time I've lost looking up a bit of trivia, only to have it fork off numerous times, until I'm on something totally unrelated to my original source!

I don't put my name on my games, but I have always put the date that I got each on the inside top of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
RogCBrand wrote:
The Internet is the friend/bane of we obsessively curious! I can't calculate all the time I've lost looking up a bit of trivia, only to have it fork off numerous times, until I'm on something totally unrelated to my original source!

I don't put my name on my games, but I have always put the date that I got each on the inside top of the box.

Roger, we will keep looking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often old wargame magazines I have bought still have the address label from when the issue was sent to the original subscriber. These are usually from the 70's or 80's, and so far no one I recognized, but never googled one one either. Not saying I never will... I have looked up the name of some article authors. I remember doing that once and finding that the person had an account here and had been active only a few years ago. But it is a bit sad to see so many names I do not recognize looking at the names of article authors and names of persons that have sent letters to the magazines. A few I recognize though, and it is always nice to see some of you guys have been doing these discussions for 40 years and not quit. (Question is if I am weird for caring so much about what was written about games before I was even born?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
pelni wrote:
Often old wargame magazines I have bought still have the address label from when the issue was sent to the original subscriber. These are usually from the 70's or 80's, and so far no one I recognized, but never googled one one either. Not saying I never will... I have looked up the name of some article authors. I remember doing that once and finding that the person had an account here and had been active only a few years ago. But it is a bit sad to see so many names I do not recognize looking at the names of article authors and names of persons that have sent letters to the magazines. A few I recognize though, and it is always nice to see some of you guys have been doing these discussions for 40 years and not quit. (Question is if I am weird for caring so much about what was written about games before I was even born?)

Apparently I'm not the one to ask...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for death and games, I've left instruction in my will that I am to be given a Viking funeral, with my games stacked all around my body! I'll be taking them to Valhalla with me!
arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
RogCBrand wrote:
As for death and games, I've left instruction in my will that I am to be given a Viking funeral, with my games stacked all around my body! I'll be taking them to Valhalla with me!
arrrh
If you own "Case Blue," I'll be bringing oven mitts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought a game from one of my favourite game designers on eBay without realising it. When I saw the name and address of the sender I just added it to my list of people I will be stalking when I have more time and left it at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Ashiefan wrote:

I bought a game from one of my favourite game designers on eBay without realising it. When I saw the name and address of the sender I just added it to my list of people I will be stalking when I have more time and left it at that.

Heh. I did this with one of Berg's collection, but my suspicion
came from the ebay account. There was nothing in the game itself
to indicate (other than that it was untouched).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
The thought never crossed my mind till I saw your poll. I did sell a bunch of a late friend's games on Ebay but I don't think he had his name on any of the games. I don't know about push pins on the corners but some of his games he pushed pins through the counters so he could pin the game up on the wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Ha ha. Everybody knows CNA wasn't playtested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
usrlocal wrote:
calandale wrote:

Heh. I did this with one of Berg's collection, but my suspicion
came from the ebay account. There was nothing in the game itself
to indicate (other than that it was untouched).

Lemme guess. His personal playtest copy of The Campaign for North Africa?

:P

Nah. La Foi et le Glaive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit odd. But I've never done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
RogCBrand wrote:
arrrh
If you own "Case Blue," I'll be bringing oven mitts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think about 5 years ago I was looking through my old Avalon Hill General magazines at the opponent wanted page and found several ads from people in towns around here. Since at the time these were at least 20 years old I thought it probably would not be a good idea to try and look them up since who knows they might be deceased or not playing or able to play anymore. But then I thought that was probably unlikely and really they would be pretty close to my own age (mid-50) anyway, but the several that I looked up where no longer at that address. No indication of whether the address was a vacant lot, now that would make me feel old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
Doooo,wop,wop...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Another game I own but never played !

Did someone review this game recently ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.