Subject: Civil War in Terrinoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few notes and questions about the Civil War in Terrinoth scenario.

1) It can take 4 turns before there is anything in the opposing army when you draw Spies. Bribery can often be completely alleviated by destroying all the gold cards in your hand, when you only have drawn one or two. Perhaps there should be an initial army setup?

2) More often than not, Diplomacy is never used, as it is frequant that there is no opposing force before Diplamcy is drawn. Again, perhaps an initial opposing force setup?

3) If spies is the only card that adds enemies to the opposing force in the stage 1 event cards, then at most you have an opposing force of 4 at the end of turn 4.

4) The opposing force can easily be destroyed by the Bowman from turn 2, reducing them to nothing, as with Spies giving them a value of 4, you can limit the numbers to two cards, making it even easier to destroy with wounding abilities.

5) I assume that when, at the end of an event phase, the opposing force attacks your lowest city, if they fail, and have not been wounded, they stay as they are?

6) To make the scenario harder, the opposing force should attack the strongest city you control (I did this the first time I played, as I misread the objective card)

7) I think the "Undefeated:" status is unnecessary, although it adds clarity.

8) The objective is too easy. Perhaps bump it to 10 influence? I've not tested that. The key is to finish off this scenario on turn 5, before you draw stage 2 cards. The Latari Elves can do this easily, they yawned through this scenario, it really suites them, although see 8)

9) If you even need to draw a stage two event, then you need to think about keeping the number of cards in the opposing force down, as they will quickly grow.

edit: Original thread Anyone thought up any new solo scenarios? I like to try them.
note: Links to files are broken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
A few notes and questions about the Civil War in Terrinoth scenario.

Wow, thanks a LOT for the feedback! If you don't mind me asking, how many times did you play, and with which factions?

SJack wrote:

1) It can take 4 turns before there is anything in the opposing army when you draw Spies. Bribery can often be completely alleviated by destroying all the gold cards in your hand, when you only have drawn one or two. Perhaps there should be an initial army setup?

I like this idea. I guess I figured that the loss in gold was a early game tradeoff for facing a smaller (or no) army. I wonder if Bribery would be better as add X where X is the number of cards remaining in your hand. Could be brutal though. This is the 3rd revision of the cards. The scenario was initially harder.

SJack wrote:

2) More often than not, Diplomacy is never used, as it is frequant that there is no opposing force before Diplamcy is drawn. Again, perhaps an initial opposing force setup?

Yes, that would help for sure. The few times I've played the scenario I don't believe I ran into the situation w/ no army before Stage 2 cards were hit.

SJack wrote:

3) If spies is the only card that adds enemies to the opposing force in the stage 1 event cards, then at most you have an opposing force of 4 at the end of turn 4.

4) The opposing force can easily be destroyed by the Bowman from turn 2, reducing them to nothing, as with Spies giving them a value of 4, you can limit the numbers to two cards, making it even easier to destroy with wounding abilities.

I initially had a rule that you had to start with lower cost units first, but I was trying to make the scenario not have so many fiddly rules like that. I think your idea of a starting army would be a very elegant solution.

SJack wrote:

5) I assume that when, at the end of an event phase, the opposing force attacks your lowest city, if they fail, and have not been wounded, they stay as they are?

Yes

SJack wrote:

6) To make the scenario harder, the opposing force should attack the strongest city you control (I did this the first time I played, as I misread the objective card)

Hmm, I guess here I figured they'd have a better chance of taking away the influence if it were the lowest. I will have to try this.

SJack wrote:

7) I think the "Undefeated:" status is unnecessary, although it adds clarity.

Yes, I've re-done all of the cards with my own templating and that was something I added (I've made a bunch of customs too). Main factor of making my own was I wanted full-sized cards for solitaire play, multiplayer I just break out the original cards.

SJack wrote:

8) The objective is too easy. Perhaps bump it to 10 influence? I've not tested that. The key is to finish off this scenario on turn 5, before you draw stage 2 cards. The Latari Elves can do this easily, they yawned through this scenario, it really suites them, although see 8)

It originally was 10, and the Elves were what I was concerned with since their thing is influence generation. Not sure how to deal with that other than something hamfisted like, units which generate influence, do not. That would pretty much neuter the Elves I would think.

SJack wrote:

9) If you even need to draw a stage two event, then you need to think about keeping the number of cards in the opposing force down, as they will quickly grow.

Yes, stage 2 is brutal, maybe it needs to be a little more balanced towards the stage 1, so that it's more of a complete arc to complete the scenario rather than trying to "beat" the game before Stage 2.

Again, thanks so much for the playtest info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played it a couple times with Humans and a couple of times with the Elves. With the Elves, I won once before the second stage of events and once not far after that. With the Humans I won before drawing the last event of the second stage, so I have yet needed to reshuffle the stage two cards.

I think I could be playing this wrong though.

Quote:
Hmm, I guess here I figured they'd have a better chance of taking away the influence if it were the lowest. I will have to try this.

Your comment confuses me. The opposing force is conducting a siege is it not? so we should compare attack values no? The city's cost doesn't come in does it? or have i missed something obvious. Also, I think the opposing force should be allowed to attack strongholds.

More thoughts.

a) I love the theme, "opposition leader", "diplomacy", "spies", bribery", "traitor", "civil war". The card names are thematic and the card effects are well suited for the most (more on that later).

b) There aren't enough cards that build up the opposing army. Only 50% of the cards add to the opposing army, and you might not see all of those.

c) Bribery is too powerful *in* my favour. I have seen it on turn 1 or 2, and it is great to cull the 1 gold cards. I can cull three, then get strongholds, then get the 2 gold cards without having 1 gold cards clogging up my deck.

d) Propaganda has only worked once. I have drawn it every time when there are no cities out of play, so the worst it does is add one opposing unit of value 3 (which ends up being one unit). Perhaps Propaganda should be a stage one event. I don't understand the theme for this card. I mean the card effect doesn't fit Propaganda in my head.

e) The opposing force has never successfully conquered my lowest city. Yet. But that could be because I'm playing it wrong (as above).

f) I still think 8 influence is too short. Each faction has 3 influence from strongholds, and at least 4 influence from the two neutral cities, and at most 6 influence from the two neutral cities (if not playing the Elves). So if you end up with the minimum of 7 (which will happen quickly as the 2 value cities have a low cost), all you need to do is defeat the opposition leader and you have won. In fact you can't win without defeating the opposition leader, as he lowers your influence value.
Perhaps in the setup, take 3 neutral city cards without looking at them, shuffle and create a draw pile, turn the top one up, you don't know what the other ones will be (but you will have a minimum of 6, and bump to objective up to 12. It's good not to know how much influence you have to play with. With that minimum you will *have* to kill the leader *and* the hero.

g) I have never used Diplomacy, as it arrives before the opposing force is a problem, and even if there was an huge army in the opposing force, I don't think i ever would. Diplomacy, with it's "spending influence to dampen the enemy" is great thematically, but destroying a city is not going to happen in exchange for lowering the opposing force by 1, 2 or 3 points. a 3 point city would cost 7 to 9 strength to regain!

i) Have I mentioned I love the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Civil War in Terrinoth with the Dwarfs today.

Order of draw cards.

Turn 1) I got a stronghold and two units.
Event 1) Spies. Gave the opposing force 2 cards. They took my stronghold.
Turn 2) I got two stongholds.
Event 2) Bribery. I destroyed four 1 gold cards. Opposing force took another stronghold
Turn 3) 2 influnce neutral city cost of 5 for me.
Event 3) Diplomacy, Ignored it. At this stage I wiped out (destroyed) the opposing force by attacking one of my strongholds. Got other stronghold back without resistence.
Turn 4) Bought more units for three gold, spent influence on neutrals.
Event 4) Opposition Leader. No opposing army.

Turn 5) to Turn 8) Army got up to 12 strenght, but no match for Forgemaster+Sentinel and the occational Manticore. Reduced to nothing again by turn 9)

Event deck of three shuffled.

By this time I have all my strongholds back and control both neutral cities. All I need to do is beat the opposition leader with 2 Sorcerers (destroying a Forgemaster or two) and any other unit.

Lost to attrition die on first attempt, and any subsequent opposing force failed to take any of my cities as my hands were stong. Succeeded on third attempt

Apologies if I'm being verbose, but I really like this scenario and I'd like to see it polished. Then we can concentrate on The Horde - heh.

I noticed that the Demon Neutral card is never bought. You can't actually buy him, because by the time you generate enough influence, the Opposition Leader lowers their influence. Perhaps the Demon should be replaced by something cheaper?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
I only played it a couple times with Humans and a couple of times with the Elves. With the Elves, I won once before the second stage of events and once not far after that. With the Humans I won before drawing the last event of the second stage, so I have yet needed to reshuffle the stage two cards.

I think I could be playing this wrong though.

Quote:

Your comment confuses me. The opposing force is conducting a siege is it not? so we should compare attack values no? The city's cost doesn't come in does it? or have i missed something obvious. Also, I think the opposing force should be allowed to attack strongholds.

My bad, for writing that as late at night as I did. During a siege only the defense value of the city comes into play. So yes, the highest influence city makes more sense here, both thematically and from a gameplay standpoint. I've made that rule change for a 1.3 version I'm working on.

SJack wrote:

More thoughts.

a) I love the theme, "opposition leader", "diplomacy", "spies", bribery", "traitor", "civil war". The card names are thematic and the card effects are well suited for the most (more on that later).

Cool thanks. It seems a little flavorless to me as far as Terrinoth, but I'm just not familiar enough w/ the material.

SJack wrote:

b) There aren't enough cards that build up the opposing army. Only 50% of the cards add to the opposing army, and you might not see all of those.

I think your idea of having a starting army setup would solve this to some degree. When I get some free time I hope to playtest this more and see if I can tweak things a bit.

SJack wrote:

c) Bribery is too powerful *in* my favour. I have seen it on turn 1 or 2, and it is great to cull the 1 gold cards. I can cull three, then get strongholds, then get the 2 gold cards without having 1 gold cards clogging up my deck.

Yeah, the double edged sword of allowing trashing of gold.
I need to come up with something for this. Ideally destroying gold would not be desirable in this case, or at least somewhat painful.

SJack wrote:

d) Propaganda has only worked once. I have drawn it every time when there are no cities out of play, so the worst it does is add one opposing unit of value 3 (which ends up being one unit). Perhaps Propaganda should be a stage one event. I don't understand the theme for this card. I mean the card effect doesn't fit Propaganda in my head.

It's been a while since I've played the game, but I thought only a subset of neutral cities were in play for the game (based on the # of players IIRC).

As far as theme, I guess I was thinking that Propaganda got a neutral city not wanting to be part of the 'War' on their side. It's a stretch.

SJack wrote:

e) The opposing force has never successfully conquered my lowest city. Yet. But that could be because I'm playing it wrong (as above).

f) I still think 8 influence is too short. Each faction has 3 influence from strongholds, and at least 4 influence from the two neutral cities, and at most 6 influence from the two neutral cities (if not playing the Elves). So if you end up with the minimum of 7 (which will happen quickly as the 2 value cities have a low cost), all you need to do is defeat the opposition leader and you have won. In fact you can't win without defeating the opposition leader, as he lowers your influence value.
Perhaps in the setup, take 3 neutral city cards without looking at them, shuffle and create a draw pile, turn the top one up, you don't know what the other ones will be (but you will have a minimum of 6, and bump to objective up to 12. It's good not to know how much influence you have to play with. With that minimum you will *have* to kill the leader *and* the hero.

Hmm, this sounds good to me. I will have to try it out.

SJack wrote:

g) I have never used Diplomacy, as it arrives before the opposing force is a problem, and even if there was an huge army in the opposing force, I don't think i ever would. Diplomacy, with it's "spending influence to dampen the enemy" is great thematically, but destroying a city is not going to happen in exchange for lowering the opposing force by 1, 2 or 3 points. a 3 point city would cost 7 to 9 strength to regain!

Yeah, this IMO is the weakest card. I'm not a big fan of it. I think
theme drove the ability here and it isn't interesting/compelling enough.

SJack wrote:

i) Have I mentioned I love the theme?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bogert
Japan
Amagasaki
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
http://chrisbogert.wixsite.com/chaturanga-family
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play it a few times, and have enjoyed it. I'm just a casual player though, so don't have all that much to input besides I thought it was fun.
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:

telengard wrote:

It's been a while since I've played the game, but I thought only a subset of neutral cities were in play for the game (based on the # of players IIRC).

As far as theme, I guess I was thinking that Propaganda got a neutral city not wanting to be part of the 'War' on their side. It's a stretch. :)

Can you clarify Propaganda, and specifically the "out of play pile"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
SJack wrote:

telengard wrote:

As far as theme, I guess I was thinking that Propaganda got a neutral city not wanting to be part of the 'War' on their side. It's a stretch.

Sure. So when setting up the solitaire game, you use 2 neutral cities (the rules do not say choose randomly but I believe that was the intent) from all of the neutral cities that came with the game. The rest are "out of play" or in the box, etc. They are not used for the game.

However, when Propaganda is played, you choose one of these out of play neutral cities and place it on the side of the opposing army. The thought here was it would be an additional source of influence, if you could defeat it.

Does this make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisbogert wrote:
I got to play it a few times, and have enjoyed it. I'm just a casual player though, so don't have all that much to input besides I thought it was fun.
Chris

Cool, glad you liked it! I need to find some time to do a bit more playtesting and tweak things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
SJack wrote:
SJack wrote:

telengard wrote:

As far as theme, I guess I was thinking that Propaganda got a neutral city not wanting to be part of the 'War' on their side. It's a stretch. :)

Sure. So when setting up the solitaire game, you use 2 neutral cities (the rules do not say choose randomly but I believe that was the intent) from all of the neutral cities that came with the game. The rest are "out of play" or in the box, etc. They are not used for the game.

However, when Propaganda is played, you choose one of these out of play neutral cities and place it on the side of the opposing army. The thought here was it would be an additional source of influence, if you could defeat it.

Does this make sense?

I see. I took out of play to mean in the stash of (2) neutral cities that haven't been conquered yet, hence the problem that when I drew Propaganda, there were no neutral cities left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this scenario tonight using Waiqar the Undying. I had fun trying it out. 1 question for the Brian and one request for Scrumpy Jack:

Brian,
1. The Skeleton Archer card says "Destroy 1 opposing unit whose strength is equal to or less than the total strength of all 'Skeleton Archer' cards participating in this combat." I assume I should only consider friendly Skeleton Archer cards when coming up with the total strength. Does that sound right?

SJack,
Can you include a link to the original rules thread at the top of this post? It will helps folks find the scenario much more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, one more general comment, just because.

At the end of my first turn, I had 4 coins and 1 Renamiate in my hand. I drew the Bribery event and destroyed all 4 of my money cards. What an opportunity to get rid of all those small coins! At least it seems like a good idea. I find those small coins just get in the way and they are easy enough to replace with bigger coins after a turn or two. I LOVE Bribery as it is right now.

Are the cards in the file section the most current version of the events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
I tried this scenario tonight using Waiqar the Undying. I had fun trying it out. 1 question for the Brian and one request for Scrumpy Jack:

Brian,
1. The Skeleton Archer card says "Destroy 1 opposing unit whose strength is equal to or less than the total strength of all 'Skeleton Archer' cards participating in this combat." I assume I should only consider friendly Skeleton Archer cards when coming up with the total strength. Does that sound right?

Hi Albert!

Yes, only friendly participating Skeleton Archers.

fractaloon wrote:

SJack,
Can you include a link to the original rules thread at the top of this post? It will helps folks find the scenario much more easily.

The original rules, at least as hosted on my web space, are currently unavailable due to comcast having difficulties w/ transitioning my account (I recently moved). I will post the rules here (or the link if my webspace comes back soon) once I've playtested the latest round of changes based on feedback in this thread. I hope to do that soon! ninja

Thanks for trying it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Okay, one more general comment, just because.

At the end of my first turn, I had 4 coins and 1 Renamiate in my hand. I drew the Bribery event and destroyed all 4 of my money cards. What an opportunity to get rid of all those small coins! At least it seems like a good idea. I find those small coins just get in the way and they are easy enough to replace with bigger coins after a turn or two. I LOVE Bribery as it is right now.

Are the cards in the file section the most current version of the events?

Yes, Bribery is a bit too good. I've changed it for the next revision of the scenario. The idea was to make it somewhat painful (but still be thematic) but depending on when the event comes out it can be too *helpful*. I am playtesting a change and I hope it plays out a bit better.

The cards in the file section are the latest, yes. I will, however, be playtesting some changes.

Speaking of which, is there a text spoiler for Oath and Anvil? My copy is being held up by a pre-order. I'm curious about the neutral cards most specifically as I'd like to replace the Demon for this scenario, and have currently changed it to the Dragon. I'll probably have guidance in the setup based on whether or not a player has Oath and Anvil or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:

Done.
As Brian stated, the links to his scenario are broken, as are the links to mine. (I need to make changes to the events, and ask Chris if he can find the time to update the cards - Chris, are you about?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
Speaking of which, is there a text spoiler for Oath and Anvil? My copy is being held up by a pre-order. I'm curious about the neutral cards most specifically as I'd like to replace the Demon for this scenario, and have currently changed it to the Dragon. I'll probably have guidance in the setup based on whether or not a player has Oath and Anvil or not.

I just added this. I hope it helps.
Neutral and Mercenary card list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
telengard wrote:

I just added this. I hope it helps.
Neutral and Mercenary card list

Thank you! Bummer that most seem to be very multiplayer-centric on first glance. I'll have to go read the rules to see what 'Landmarks' are.

I've been playtesting this scenario (going through a few more revisions) a lot more and am honing in on rules I'm happy with. I'm finding the scenario to be a challenge to beat, but that is what I enjoy about this game.

I'm hoping everyone will like the modified Bribery... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, here's the latest (my web space STILL is not up so I can't put up new cards) for those who might want to make proxies. I've done a bunch of playtesting and have gone through about 5 more revisions for balance, etc. Feedback is welcome and appreciated! The last round of feedback helped a LOT.

I'm pretty happy with these rules (except Diplomacy which is a bit situational, but can come in handy depending on how you purchase from your Barracks, etc). One of the key changes, and I think for the better, is that the opposing army just goes for your Home Realm. You still get to battle them (which was the point of the scenario) but you don't fight over the neutral cities. It makes things a bit easier to manage and also more challenging (but not unbeatable)!

Note, some stages for certain cards were changed for (hopefully) improved playability.

Scenario rules/notes:

; - Neutral cards are Sorcerer, Manticore, and Dragon.
;
; - The opposing army is all unit cards in the army placed at the other side of your playing area. Your 'virtual' opponent who will be attacking every turn.
; - The opposing army is a single Unit with strength equal to the total strength of all participating units.
; - All abilities of the units in the opposing army are ignored.
; - When asked to choose units from your barracks to place in the opposing army, unless criteria is specified, any can be chosen. If there are no longer units to take to fulfill
; requirements when specified, they are taken from your hand instead.
; - When choosing units from the opposing army to destroy (i.e. Dragon) always choose the one with the lowest cost gold cost.
; - When calculating the cost of cards, it is their printed cost. Abilities that modify the cost of these cards do not apply.
; - In the event of a tie for the cost or value of anything, you choose.
; - If at any point during the game you no longer have any units in your deck and can no longer purchase units, you lose.

Cards

Objective Card 9 Influence
Setup: Take 2 of your lowest cost units in your barracks and place them in the opposing army.
If you successfully influence this card with a 'Spend Influence' action you win the game.
At the end of each Event phase, the opposing army attacks your Home Realm.

Spies Stage 1
Instant
Take units with total combined cost of 4 from your barracks and place them in the opposing army (you must spend as much of the 4 as possible).

Traitor Stage 1
Instant
Take 1 card from the highest cost unit pile in your barracks and place it in the opposing army."

Diplomacy Stage 2
Instant
You may exhaust and then destroy any number of refreshed cards you control that generate influence. For each point of influence generated in this way, you may destroy 1 unit in the opposing army.

Opposition Leader 1 Influence Stage 1
Enemy Strength 9 Attrition die
If defeated, claim this card as a Reward.
Reward: Exhaust this card to generate 1 influence.Units that generate influence generate 1 less (to a minimum of 1)

Bribery Stage 2
Instant
If you have no gold cards in your hand, place 2 units from your hand into the opposing army. If you have gold cards in your hand, you may destroy any number of them. Then take X unit cards from your barracks, where X is 2 times the number of gold cards in your hand, and place them in the opposing army.

Recruited Forces Stage 2
Instant
Take X unit cards from your barracks, where X is the number of cities and strongolds you control, and place them in the the opposing army.

Influential Hero 2 Influence Stage 2
Enemy Strength 11 Attrition die
Reward: Exhaust this card to generate 2 influence.
The influence cost to retain a card during the 'Discard Hand' step is increased by 1.

Propaganda Stage 2
Instant
Choose 1 of the following. You must choose an option that you can fully resolve:
- Take 4 unit cards from your barracks and place them in the opposing army.
- Destroy a city you control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Fiedler
Australia
Colebee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work on this guys!
Any news on updated cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telengard wrote:
Ok, here's the latest (my web space STILL is not up so I can't put up new cards) for those who might want to make proxies. I've done a bunch of playtesting and have gone through about 5 more revisions for balance, etc. Feedback is welcome and appreciated! The last round of feedback helped a LOT.

I'm pretty happy with these rules (except Diplomacy which is a bit situational, but can come in handy depending on how you purchase from your Barracks, etc). One of the key changes, and I think for the better, is that the opposing army just goes for your Home Realm. You still get to battle them (which was the point of the scenario) but you don't fight over the neutral cities. It makes things a bit easier to manage and also more challenging (but not unbeatable)!

Note, some stages for certain cards were changed for (hopefully) improved playability.

Scenario rules/notes:

; - Neutral cards are Sorcerer, Manticore, and Dragon.
;
; - The opposing army is all unit cards in the army placed at the other side of your playing area. Your 'virtual' opponent who will be attacking every turn.
; - The opposing army is a single Unit with strength equal to the total strength of all participating units.
; - All abilities of the units in the opposing army are ignored.
; - When asked to choose units from your barracks to place in the opposing army, unless criteria is specified, any can be chosen. If there are no longer units to take to fulfill
; requirements when specified, they are taken from your hand instead.
; - When choosing units from the opposing army to destroy (i.e. Dragon) always choose the one with the lowest cost gold cost.
; - When calculating the cost of cards, it is their printed cost. Abilities that modify the cost of these cards do not apply.
; - In the event of a tie for the cost or value of anything, you choose.
; - If at any point during the game you no longer have any units in your deck and can no longer purchase units, you lose.

Cards

Objective Card 9 Influence
Setup: Take 2 of your lowest cost units in your barracks and place them in the opposing army.
If you successfully influence this card with a 'Spend Influence' action you win the game.
At the end of each Event phase, the opposing army attacks your Home Realm.

Spies Stage 1
Instant
Take units with total combined cost of 4 from your barracks and place them in the opposing army (you must spend as much of the 4 as possible).

Traitor Stage 1
Instant
Take 1 card from the highest cost unit pile in your barracks and place it in the opposing army."

Diplomacy Stage 2
Instant
You may exhaust and then destroy any number of refreshed cards you control that generate influence. For each point of influence generated in this way, you may destroy 1 unit in the opposing army.

Opposition Leader 1 Influence Stage 1
Enemy Strength 9 Attrition die
Reward: Exhaust this card to generate 1 influence.Units that generate influence generate 1 less (to a minimum of 1)

Bribery Stage 2
Instant
If you have no gold cards in your hand, place 2 units from your hand into the opposing army. If you have gold cards in your hand, you may destroy any number of them. Then take X unit cards from your barracks, where X is 2 times the number of gold cards in your hand, and place them in the opposing army.

Recruited Forces Stage 2
Instant
Take X unit cards from your barracks, where X is the number of cities and strongolds you control, and place them in the the opposing army.

Influential Hero 2 Influence Stage 2
Enemy Strength 11 Attrition die
Reward: Exhaust this card to generate 2 influence.
The influence cost to retain a card during the 'Discard Hand' step is increased by 1.

Propaganda Stage 2
Instant
Choose 1 of the following. You must choose an option that you can fully resolve:
- Take 4 unit cards from your barracks and place them in the opposing army.
- Destroy a city you control.

Finaly got to play this scenario.

I like it!

Few propositions:
- secured neutral cities enter player's area exhausted
- current Influential Hero seems weak, keep stats but change to "player may not refresh his city with the highest influence (choose one if tie)"
- swap naming of Influential Hero - Opposition Leader (it seems more logic that the Leader should be harder to capture)
- mythic units in opposing army should be undestroyable (only removed from current attack)
- the opposing army definitely needs the attrition die to simulate some casualties
- maybe it would be good idea to put ? shield on the objective to indicate its attack each turn
- it would be nice to have a third Enemy like "Soliciting Agent" or "Instigator" that would take away 1 unit at the start of each Event phase (stage I?)
- also, what about some stage 2 Event (instant) that would do siege on player's most influential city (destroyed if successful)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XehutL wrote:

--snip--

I like it!

Few propositions:
- current Influential Hero seems weak, keep stats but change to "player may not refresh his city with the highest influence (choose one if tie)"
- swap naming of Influential Hero - Opposition Leader (it seems more logic that the Leader should be harder to capture)
- mythic units in opposing army should be undestroyable (only removed from current attack)
- the opposing army definitely needs the attrition die to simulate some casualties
- maybe it would be good idea to put ? shield on the objective to indicate its attack each turn
- it would be nice to have a third Enemy like "Soliciting Agent" or "Instigator" that would take away 1 unit at the start of each Event phase (stage I?)
- also, what about some stage 2 Event (instant) that would do siege on player's most influential city (destroyed if successful)?

Lots of great ideas here, thank you! I will incorporate these into a new playtest set and see how it goes.

Some of these changes would make it more challenging, which is good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great that you are still here
Do you have any updated graphic cards somewhere?
I plan to do some tests soon also - I will post the outcome afterwards cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is anyone interested, I can send latest test-version of this scenario. Just email me where.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Solitary Man
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian – I finally got around to trying this…been wanting to for many, many months now. Anyway, I played the Daqan Lords and won rather easily with only 1 Damage to my Home Realm in the end. Makes me wonder if I’m doing something wrong. I used the rules a couple of comments above. So here’s the basic rundown:

Setup:
Faction: Daqan Lords
Neutrals: Sorcerer, Manticore, Dragon
Cities: Tamalir, Forge

Turn 1:
Opposing Army = 2 strength
Buys = (2) Bowman
Battles = (1) Stronghold, win
Event = Traitor
Seige = 1 hit to Home Realm

Turn 2:
Opposing Army = 6 strength
Buys = (1) Knight, (1) Sorcerer
Event = Opposition Leader
Seige = 0 hits to Home Realm

Turn 3:
Opposing Army = 0 strength
Buys = (1) Bowman, (1) Sorcerer
Event = Spies

Turn 4:
Buys = none
Battles = Tamalir, lose
Event = Influential Hero

Turn 5:
Buys = (1) 2-Gold
Battles = Opposition Leader, lose
Event = Recruited Forces

Turn 6:
Opposing Army = 1 strength
Buys = (1) 2-Gold
Battles = Opposition Leader, lose
Event = Bribery (I had a 2-Gold in my hand, but decided not to use the action)

Turn 7:
Buys = none
Battles = Tamalir, win
Event = Propoganda (four Units sent to Opposing Army)

Turn 8:
Buys = (1) 3-Gold
Battles = Forge, win
Event = Diplomacy (did not use action)

Turn 9:
Buys = none
Battles = Opposition Leader, win
Influence = 11, victory

I didn’t give every detail, so I’m not sure how much you can follow it, but basically, I used the Bowman to destroy Opposing Army Units whenever they had any. Several turns there was no Seige by the Opposing Army since there was none.

Also, I used the Sorcerer and losing to the Opposition Leader to cull my deck of excess cards. After that, I just had to wait it out until I had acquired both Cities. The next turn, I had just enough to beat the Opposition Leader, getting lucky that I had two Footmans in battle to lose to the Attrition Die.

Overall, I do like this! The theme is interesting…although I’d like to see a few sentences of flavor text once your feel it’s complete, kind of a background story or something to go along with the scenario. I like having to use Influence to win instead of just strength. Getting to use abuse the Bowman in my session was a nice change. Never get to use those types of actions when playing solo.

Obviously, I didn’t feel any tension in this session. But it is only one play!! I’ve got five other factions to try out too.

I like some of the ideas Tomas has put forth above as well. Especially:

One additional rule idea I’d like to mention is:
- at the start of the player round, if the Opposing Army has no Units, add two of the lowest cost Units available from the Barracks

To me, that is the only place where I felt a disconnect from the theme. It’s supposed to be a Civil War (or at least Opposition from within), but there were no Units on the other side much of the game. I kept looking for a dissension amongst my people and there wasn’t one….again, again – it’s only one play.

Cool stuff! Thanks for your work on this.

Mo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can upload the modified version I already sent to Brian for testing, it would be great if more players would have acces to it & could try + comment..

Do you agree, Brian?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.