BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Any fellow BGGers running "Board Games Cafe"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Smith
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hello,

I wonder if any of you runs so called "Board game cafe" - which is basically cafe but with free games library, which guests can play.

If so,

care to share what kind of games are most demanded, how much do you charge, how crucial is the location etc, any information would be much appreciated.

If not

What kind of service, games etc should cafe like this offer?

I am thinking of opening one, in my city

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own one, But Haunted Game Cafe in Fort Collins, CO does. They do not charge for games to play. They are their for free. They sell coffee and light food as well as a good selection of board games.

My understanding is their money making is mostly on the Coffee side of things and the games are less so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been to the Haunted Game Cafe in Fort Collins several times, (I currently live about 3 hours away) It is excellently run and the owner is great, helped me acquire some hard to find games. They sell all sorts of specialty drinks, not just coffee but iced drinks as well.

The Location he hasn't isn't actually that great, it is off the main road of town (between the downtown and the college which is good), but on a strip mall that is kind of out of the way and difficult to find get to via car.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Clymer
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I don't own one, But Haunted Game Cafe in Fort Collins, CO does. They do not charge for games to play. They are their for free. They sell coffee and light food as well as a good selection of board games.

My understanding is their money making is mostly on the Coffee side of things and the games are less so.

This is partially true. The niche for Haunted Game Cafe is that they let you test games from their game library before you buy them. Often, the staff will join and learn a new game with you should they not already know the rules or game play.

As for how they make money, they host Magic drafts/tournaments which is a big money maker, but the amount of loyalty they gain is huge. They are willing to do everything they can to get that elusive game on a player's radar and far more often than not, are able to deliver. Their commitment to having repeat customers is substantial to having a very friendly and helpful environment .

Being able to "refuel" between games without leaving the shop is a huge bonus as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.