Subject: Fourth Hero for Solo Against DL 7 Scenarios? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Hey...this may sound strange, but what if you add a 4th Hero? I have often thought of adding a fourth hero to beat a DL 7 scenario (Dol Guldor???), but only adding the threat of 3 heroes. This is strictly for solo. I only think about it because well, DL 7 scenarios, particularly Dol Guldor, is NOT winnable solo. Anyone try this? Does this ruin the scenario?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
A 4th hero is a huge boost. 33% more resources from the start, huge Willpower/Attack/Defence bonuses and an awesome ability. Its just too overpowered for my taste.

Why not play solitaire with two different decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
WOODLAND HILLS
California (CA)
flag msg tools
Meh...one deck just keeps it simple for me. I mean...dude, I barely BARELY win the first scenario of the game. That's right, the first scenario in the boxed set! I get killed by Spiders and Hummerhorns.

Random question...am I supposed to start the game with any resource tokens? that is to say, before turn one begins? I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
Rule Book - Page 12 Round Sequence
"Phase 1: Resource Each player adds 1 resource token to each of his heroes' RESOURCE POOL."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Whittaker
United States
Andrews AFB
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Romans 1:16
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should do whatever you want to make the game fun.
House rule the snot out of the game if you want to! You should't have to struggle through the scenarios however; there are tons of resources to help you build decks. If deck building isn't your thing but youi like the game go find some decks build em and play. The beauty of this format (co-op) is that you aren't hurting anything by playing your way. Obviously you would have to conform to a tournament format if you played in anything official. But yeah... tweek to your hearts content.

have fun,
airmanwhit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Reeves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi

Have a look in the files section for the "fellowship rules". This basically allows you to have more heroes but tweaks other rules in the game to produce a 2 player effect. I have found these rules makes solitaire much more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does not scale well. In general, it is much more difficult solo than with two players. The intro scenario is a good example: you start with the forest spider and the road location REGARDLESS of the number of players. You have to overcome the initial threat value alone when questing or your threat rockets and … you know. Also, some of the treachery cards are devastating early: for instance, the spider attachment that does not allow readying without paying. You should feel proud winning the intro with initial (not optimized) decks.

The Dol Guldur is very hard solo. It is possible to win it with good deck and ton of luck but .... in short, I understand why you are looking for variants. Adding the fourth hero to Dol Guldur in solo is not overpowered. It is a significant boost but it pales in comparison to the boost you get with playing two deck solo (i.e. two player game solo). Try the four hero variant and let us know how it turned out!

P.S. Before switching to solo two-deck play I experimented with variants. I liked the following variant the best because it mitigated risks in the early game when the solo player is most vulnerable without giving much boost later. The variant is simple: you get one resource gathering and card play phase before any random elements of the setup of the quest. That is, read the scenario instructions, put the indicated cards to the staging area etc but do not reveal cards if the scenario so instructs. First, gather three resources and one card, play allies and attachments. You can take actions but but xhausted heroes remain exhausted. Then continue with the setup and start normal play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not do this if you have any integrity at all.

It is meant to be hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is meant to be fun. You should tweak it if it makes the game better. Besides, for solo play Dol Guldur is at least difficulty 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the game became easier once I read some deckbuilding articles and started to look through the encounter deck before I built a deck. This allowed me to focus my deck and heroes to respond to what was in the encounter deck. I also run with a high proportion of allies, usually at least 50% of my deck and in DG I made it even higher. This is the only way I have managed to win solo. Also helps to choose low threat heroes to avoid the whole hummerhorns issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mlodzkoski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Before adding a 4th hero, try "stacking" your draw first. For example pick 3 cards in your initial hand and draw the other 3. Reduce the number picked if it is too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.