Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Adventure: Demonic Intervention rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Firstly a big thanks to GeckoTH for his adventure template and to Shnar for his tileset.

This adventure is very loosely based on the events of "Siege of Darkness", and should hopefully provide a challenge for those finding things a little too easy. A carefull choice of powers and a certain amount of tactical thought will be required if the companions are to prevail against the unholy union between Yvonnel Baenre and her shadowy ally.

The adventure makes use of the Monster tokens from Castle Ravenloft, but they may very easilly be replaced by pieces of paper with numbers written on the underside.

I've played it through twice now using all five heroes. The heroes lost the first time through and won the second. Both times were a lot of fun so I thought I should take the opportunity to give something back to The Geek. I hope you enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like an epic Adventure, awesome work! (You used the template to great effect, btw. And the inclusion of Shnar's tileset works flawlessly.)

Minor typo notes:
On pg 1 under Special Adventure Rules, you have a section called "Events", which tell you when to draw an Event Card. I assume you mean Encounter Cards?

On pg 2 under The Pit description, you talk about Fissures but sometimes leave out an 'r', resulting in 'Fissue'.

Some of the mechanics you've got going here look really cool. Pre-built dungeon with Monster Tokens, a Pit that randomly drops you onto different tiles, etc. I'm excited to try this one out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A good reception! Thanks for the kind words and for running your keen eye over the text. I've edited the images accordingly.

Tell me how it goes when you get a chance to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Dinin Do'Urden is mistyped under Adventure setup.

A question, when exactly does Yvonnel's 5HP event trigger - upon her activation or at the end of the Villain phase? This would have implications on the activation of the new monsters placed as well as Errtu (immediately moving 1 tile towards the Glyph?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers!

Thanks for the correction. I've updated the file.

I've been playing it so that Yvonnel's 5HP event triggers as soon as it happens (interrupting the turn of the active hero). Once all the actions in the adventure text are resolved the hero who damaged her then continues with their turn as normal. This also gives the heroes a small chance to stall Errtu's advance early on.

Edit: I've slightly changed the text on Yvonnel's 5HP event to clarify the above point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work Sam, looks good! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Hopefully any creases have been ironed out now.

As a side note it occured to me that playing this one with less than 5 heroes might make things a little hard going. It'd be impressive if anyone managed to complete it with fewer than 5, but players might want to consider adding a surge or an ally card for every hero less than 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Haver
United States
Upper Arlington
Ohio
flag msg tools
www.theCOGS.org
badge
www.theCOGS.org
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, excellent. I can't wait to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cashtool wrote:
Wow, excellent. I can't wait to give it a try.

Cheers! Tell us how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Nice use of the templates and tileset!

It's nice that we can play static scenarios like this and the normal random dungeon scenarios as well!

Yeah, the effort that the likes of Gecko and shnar put into this community is immense. Thanks again chaps thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice touch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 228230. TrueLolzor
  • 1d20 =
  • (20) =
  • Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:05 am
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it out yesterday. It was awesome!
Though I made some things different(like encounter draw system).

The only two problems I encountered was:
1) Random tile placement resulted in a straight tunnel of 6 tiles.
2) I met Dinin as soon as I left this 6-tiled tunnel, so not much exploration was involved.

Suggestions to fix this:
1) Take a tile with no walls and connect it to the surface hollow, then proceed with random tile placement.
2) Set aside 4 monster marker, shuffle all others, then shuffle it within the second half of the markers, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Flintham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Glad you had fun!

A straight tunnel of 6 tiles! wow That's incredibly unlucky.

I've had two really satisfying plays with nice sprawling layouts, and one time only finding Dinin on the last token.

Your solutions to your problems sound good. I'd thought of adding something simillar, but didn't think anyone would be so unlucky! Did the heroes win when you played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the fact we found the Key as soon as we left the tunnel meant we could just rush to the doors, and when we chased Yvonnel, 3 of 4 heroes rolled 16-20 and came straight at her, while Keyleth rolled 6-10 and held back Errtu a bit(YOU SHALL NOT PASS!). 1 surge was spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.