Popular Tags: [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Recommendations.

I have a nice-sized kitchen table with overhead lighting that would be just perfect for playing games except that the surface is rough, unvarnished wood that does not play nicely with cards and other game components. I thought a tablecloth might help, but I wasn't present when the purchase was made, and the one that came home has an odd texture that tends to snag on the edges of cards. I've played a few games with it, but I always get uncomfortable when guests slide their cards along the tabletop (I always handle mine gingerly).

Recently I had a semi-tragic event while playing a solo card game on the same kitchen table. In the middle of the game, my cat came along and sat on a large pile of cards, pushing them along the surface of the table. After I was able to get her to move, I saw that the edges of several of the cards had been pushed up so that the white shows. Luckily, it doesn't affect playability of this game, but it's still a bit depressing, especially since it was my most recent purchase and I'd been keeping it like new.

Assuming I don't want to put my cards in sleeves, does anybody have recommendations for easy-to-find table coverings that will keep cards and other game components nice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
Assuming I don't want to put my cards in sleeves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Large piece(s) of plywood covered in a layer of felt or felt backed vinyl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Cat pelt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
In the summer of 2011, my old 60" television died (you know, the big, heavy, clunky TVs they had before the flat-screens came out). I had a screen protector on it. It's a nice 60" diagonal piece of transparent plastic. When I got rid of the TV, I kept the screen protector. I often lay it across the table when I play games . . . especially games that involve lots of cards. The cards lay flat on it and slide across it very nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you don't want to sand and varnish your table? That'd probably be the best idea. A layer of plexiglass would work as well, but can be a bit pricey depending on the size of your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If it doesn't have to look pretty, or blend in with the existing table, you could get a piece of corrugated plastic for whatever size you need. That might work for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
felt

This.

There's a reason they use it to cover poker tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ramsey
United States
Schwenksville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/3852/outside-the-scope-of...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed G.
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently use felt, but find it getting nappy over time and the fibers eventually pull off and get in with game components and it has generally become more of a mess than I'd like. When I replace it, I plan to use automotive headliner as suggested here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adventus wrote:

Lots of neat ideas so far, and I'm sure at least one of them will work for me. Now I just need to decide which one. The one I've quoted seems like a good balance of price vs. time investment, but it seems like a lot of them are out of stock on the website. And no, it doesn't really need to look pretty, just something to throw on when it's game time. Portability's a plus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I went through this conundrum. I finally settled on going to the fabric store and buying a few yards of heavy black vinyl / blackout cloth. It was about $15 at JoAnn's. It's worked pretty well, but now it's left on as a table cloth and gets food on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check out this thread: board game table cover meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Irish wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Orph wrote:
felt

This.

There's a reason they use it to cover cheap poker tables.

Don't they use baize? Baize produced for a pool table is napless, so the cards should snag less than if you use snooker table baize.

Corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Ursus_Major wrote:
but find it getting nappy over time

That's what Don Imus said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.