Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Hero recommendations for 4 player campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Scott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hello all! Just created my account-this is my first post!

My gaming group and I are nearing the finale of our first campaign and having a great time. The OL owns both editions and the conversion kit and showed us the ropes. We struggled at first but after upgrading XP and weaponry the game has become very balanced and exciting!

Our hero group consists of Hugo the Berserker (myself), Avric the Disciple, and Tomble the Thief (probably the MVP of the group). The three hero party format of damage dealer, treasure seeker/utility, and support/healer seems to be the way to go, as we have managed to win every quest (albeit a bit narrowly) except for one.

Given how much we're enjoying ourselves, we're probably going to play another campaign immediately following this one. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any advice for our next hero/class combos. I will most likely play the primary damage dealer again, but I want to go mage. Should I play a Necromancer or Runemaster? Is the Spiritspeaker a good enough healer, or should we have someone play a Disciple again? What hero options are best for Runemasters/Necromancers or for Spiritseakers? Can anyone suggest a three hero/class combo for us?

Our objective isn't to powergame, but it is a lot more fun when the heroes are winning quests! Any advice/commentary would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the boards! I just joined a few months ago and found this an invaluable resource.

I think as far as mages go the Necromancer is more fun. There is a certain satisfaction in walking your reanimate into a group of archers and corpse blasting them!

As far as a threesome including Necromancer, the current campaign I'm OL against is a Necromancer, Disciple, Berserker. The combination has been pretty forminable.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jonny18 wrote:
As far as a threesome including Necromancer

Gross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lord Hawthorne, and get him the two handed axe ASAP. He makes Conan look like a princess laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Necromancer sounds like a lot of fun, especially with Army of Death/Vampiric Blood/Undead Might combo. I'm thinking either Leoric or Master Thorn...not sure which would make the better Necromancer.

Necromancer/Berserker/Disciple sounds potent, but I doubt the other two guys in my group will want to play those classes again (we're currently Berserker/Disciple/Thief). Perhaps Necro/Spiritspeaker/Wildlander would work? Not sure what heroes pair well with those classes, either.

A threesome with a Necromancer definitely sounds like a good time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We are actually about to begin a second campaign as well, with me switching from Overlord to Hero, and I'm thinking of going Mage. Personally, I think that the Runemaster has better damage output than the Necromancer (with skills like Runic Knowledge and Rune Mastery), but the Necromancer has more options to control the battlefield, as the Reanimate can form an impromptu wall of bones. My current thoughts right now are that I am either going to go Runemaster Mad Carthos for huge damage output, or Runemaster Master Thorn, for decent damage and great movement.

For the other questions, I prefer Disciple over Spiritspeaker, because at the end of the campaign, a Disciple's Prayer of Healing can be extremely useful (heal damage, possibly heal fatigue, cure Conditions, add brown defense and yellow power dice to two separate heroes for the cost of 1 fatigue). However, since you have already played with a Disciple, you may want to try out the Spiritspeaker just to get to know it first hand.

For Spiritspeakers, you generally want a character with high Stamina and high Willpower (for Nature's Bounty and Tempest, respectively), but it's not a huge deal if you don't, especially if you don't like the sound of those skills anyway. Elder Mok has a Hero Ability that works well with Healing Rain. Aurim has high Speed and Stamina, which are always good, but work especially well with Nature's Bounty.

For your third, I'd suggest trying out a Wildlander, unless you guys are really into how well the Thief treated you during the last campaign. Jain Fairwood makes a fantastic Wildlander, but there are some other good ones in the Conversion Kit as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Olavio84 wrote:
Perhaps Necro/Spiritspeaker/Wildlander would work? Not sure what heroes pair well with those classes, either.

The one thing I'd add about this combination is that if you do end up going without a Warrior Class, you also want to consider your choice of hero for your Spiritspeaker, because he will be your best shot at having a tank. Generally, most Mages and Scouts have low HP, and a lot of Healers do too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Neufeld
Canada
Port Alberni
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:
jonny18 wrote:
As far as a threesome including Necromancer

Gross.

Mind in the gutter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Challara Necromancer, so she has two familiars at once. Fun, and she has almost as much to do on her turn as overlord

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! Quick response time!

I looked at Hawthorne...how relevant does that reach become? I can't recall a specific place where it would have come in handy yet, but gaming sessions usually involve drinking so my memory is a bit hazy. Jain looks sick as a Wildlander, and comboing Elder Mok's ability with Healing Rain looks pretty ridiculous.

As far as compensating for the lack of a warrior, I feel like that's where the Reanimate will really shine. Once we grab the Mana Weave, Master Thorn will be moving all over the place while shooting, and if I use his feat, I can pop behind or around whatever's in our way, and bring my Reanimate with me for one fatigue!

The guy playing the Tomble Thief in our group is a bit obsessed with treasure...he will frequently abandon the game plan in order to hit those search tokens. It hasn't really hurt us much, since we generally assume when assessing the tactical situation that he will do so. I feel like he's going to pick Silhouette as soon as he sees that feat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Sutherland
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hawthorne's reach has come in very handy for me. Instead of moving to get in range, sometimes he can use 2 attacks instead.

Sometimes you can't reach a monster in one move without it.

kinda makes up for only having 3 fatigue.

Use him as a Knight and buy Advance as soon as you can. He becomes a walking meat grinder.

I don't think he is into threesomes though, if thats your thing...yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Olavio84 wrote:
As far as compensating for the lack of a warrior, I feel like that's where the Reanimate will really shine. Once we grab the Mana Weave, Master Thorn will be moving all over the place while shooting, and if I use his feat, I can pop behind or around whatever's in our way, and bring my Reanimate with me for one fatigue!

The Reanimate is one of the better damage dealers during Act I (and still decent during Act II if you get the skill that adds a yellow power die), but what he lacks that a Warrior has is high health. He starts with no defense die and only a few hit points, so he's really easy to destroy for the Overlord. Sure, you can always bring him back next turn, but that costs you not just a Fatigue, but also an Action. Reanimate is good to form a wall in a pinch when you really just need another body in between the Overlord and his objective, but he's easily the weakest link in that wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
I'd go with this: (just base heroes as I haven't had a chance to get the CK yet)

Avric as a Disciple
Leoric as a Necro
Jane or Tomble as a Thief

You'll prob blow the OL out the water.

And the treasure fixation is a good thing - more gold and items, always a plus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi David,

Welcome! Just a fair warning, I am very much a power-gamer, so take what I say with a grain of salt, and apologies if it's a bit too OCD.

In my humble opinion, a 3 player team already gives you, as the heroes an advantage as the overlord will have less actions to use in most scenarios provided he is picking big monsters to block hallways.

If you're designing a well-rounded team, I'd advise having the following:

- Area of Effect Damage (Whirlwind, Corpse Exp, Army of Death, Blast, etc.)
- Single target damage (Rage, Execute, Quick casting, pierce weapons, etc.)
- Stun/immobilize (Runic mastery, Dirty Tricks, Cripple, etc)
- Speed (Hero w/ 5 speed, Feat that gives double move, etc.)
- Tank/hp (Hero w/ 14 hp, chain mail/plate, etc.)
- Heal/dmg reduction (Prayer of healing, stoneskin, cloud of mists, hp pots, etc.)
- Removal of stun/immobilize (Disciple's cleanse (forget name), Curse doll, etc.)
- Treasure (having money makes shopping fun! : P And oh yeah, you can't win without items...so yeah, fairly important to search)

Without 4 heroes, it'll be very hard to satisfy every requirement with just abilities and feats, but the weapons you find and in-game treasures (health pots = Healing req., stamina pots = Speed req., Curse Doll = Removal of conditions requirement, Crossbow = board control, Sling-shot = stun) can help immensely in covering your team's weaknesses.

From your post and replies it sounds like you want to play a mage, specifically a necro over a runemaster. While I like the necro for board control and damage, you will be lacking any ability to stun/immobilize monsters that the runemaster gives. The necro does have some amazing AoE abilities though, so consider having someone in your party that can stun or immobilize. As far as hero choices, Mad Carthos heroic ability lends itself well to Reanimate but expect to die, as the OL will target you. Leoric and Widow Tarha are always strong, especially Leoric if your team will lack a disciple, as it sounds like you are trying a spiritspeaker rather than a disciple this go around. Leoric's -1 damage to monsters ability lends itself well with stone-skin, as this may help prevent stuns/immobilize conditions from monsters than need to damage you for it to inflict, key word MAY, however. Lastly, strongly consider Runewitch Astarra as her ability to MOVE monsters is incredibly strong, if not in need of an Errata. This removes the OL's ability to block hallways, which is a key ability of his/her for stalling you. Her and Steelhorns are the only 2 heroes I know of that can help you move monsters off an objective/hallway or if you like into an AoE blast : P.

If you're going with spiritspeaker, you really can't go wrong with either of the base characters. I like Avric as his ability and feat counters the spiritspeaker's weaker healing abilities compared to the disciple's, and can be a tank if need be. Ashrian might help as it'll give your team a much needed stun ability. Elder Mok can cause the OL some headaches with his heroic feat, and I do quite like Aurim (Sp?). His potion ability and influx of more search tokens may synergize well with your friend who likes to search, this will increase the odds of obtaining a treasure chest per mission. Not to mention make potions into AoE heals/stamina heals, yum. Just make sure your thief feeds him the potions and you're set.

Your last hero sounds like he/she wants to play a thief again, as he/she strongly prioritizes searching. While the wildlander is nice for single target damage, speed, and danger sense, searching will take a smaller priority. I agree that Silhoutte is incredibly strong as a thief, and makes some quests that involved searching almost trivial for the heroes (i.e. Cardinal's plight). Give her Tumble and there's little that can stop her from grabbing 2-3+ search tokens in a single turn. Jain can be a strong thief as well, as her double move is good no matter if she's a thief or wildlander. As you can tell, I'm partial to the heroes with double moves, just makes life so much easier in race scenarios. Also, consider caltrops and/or dirty tricks if you don't have a stun/immobilize. If you need a tank you can also use the thief's Unseen + Heavy Cloak item + Spiritspeaker's Cloud of Mists to essentially Dodge tank : P.

-John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Scott
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wow, lots of combinations I hadn't thought about. Thanks, John!

My group finished our first campaign last night (Hugo the Berserker with Grinding Axe + Mana Weave + Mastery = KILLING MACHINE!) I'm switching over to the OL for the second go around, and I'm facing an Elder Mok Spiritspeaker, Varikas the Dead as a Knight, and Jaes the Exile as a Runemaster. Talk about powerful! They already have the mana weave, and Jaes has Iron Will, so he's walking around with 6 stamina! And Varikas is healing Mok every turn! I don't like my odds...

My plan is to go Warlord...and move onto a different thread, because I'm getting off topic...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cool, great to hear about finishing your campaign, David! Yeah the grinding axe can be insane given abilities to provide surges.

Yeah that team of Elder Mok/spiritspeaker, Varikas/Knight, and Jaes/Runemaster will be tough to KO as it'll just be a game of bash Mok, heh.

They do lack a scout, so perhaps push for a gold-shortage and protect the search tokens, heh. And without a disciple they'll be fairly vulnerable to single target damage, and no way of removing conditions. Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.