S Larkin
Canada
Carp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

(thumbsups appreciated!)

Thanks to Mike for posting last time.

Ludo Outaouais 2012 was a blast! Our Speed Puerto Rico Tournament went well. I ran it in practice/demo mode on Friday. Saturday we had 2 tables of four and one of three plus another table in demo mode. Dominic Blais won it. In both games he played, he had about 30 seconds left on the clock! Well done, sir!

Game Summit 2013 is coming in 60 days! http://www.gamesummit.ca/event/gs2013/

I am always keen to hear of your ideas, especially for the pavilion!

The club has acquired another game: Mahjong. The set has two character suits, one of which has been converted to dots! I just have to figure out how to score hands! Thanks to Paul of the Westboro Legion for his donation.

There will be a meeting of the Kanata Board Gamers this Thursday, 6 December 2012. The start time for the session is 6 PM till approximately 11pm.

The place is: Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church
Detailed directions follow, but it is quite close to the Wizard’s Tower and the Hazeldean Public Library.

Also, send me a geekmail if you want to let me know about anything - from suggestions for raising club attendance, club purchase suggestions, or just telling me whether you can make the meeting.

Feel free to use this forum thread to discuss what to play!

You may bring food & drink (be neat!). We can rearrange the tables & chairs provided we return everything an keep things tidy.

Our meetings are posted on meetup; check out http://meetup.gamesforall.ca/

Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (KCCRC) is 46 Castlefrank Rd (directions follow). There is parking outside. Follow the signs to the church basement.

I will be collecting $2.50 from each person. The first $20 collected is donated to our gracious venue. Any left over will go into a boardgame library fund. Maybe we'll have enough for some 2013 Essen picks? The war chest stands at $268.05 (Dave's nickel) and the library stands at 7 games (Lancaster, Automobile, Eclipse, The Forgotten Planet, Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas, Mahjong and Pergamemnon). Members can borrow from the library any time. Borrow it one session, bring it back for the next!

Visitors are always welcome. Come on in and check us out! There is no obligation, but if you decide to become a member it only costs $7.50 and entitles you to 10% discount cards at select local games stores.

Note if you want the discount cards (for Fandom II, Toys on Fire, and Comic Book Shoppe), let me know & I'll have them made up. 100% of the $7.50 fee goes to Can Games to support kids games and the cards are good for 1 calendar year from the month you get them. You have donated $38 so far.

Please add to this thread with your suggestions of what to play.

Hope to see you then!

Directions by car to the Kanata Community Christian Reformed Church (from the East):

1. Take Queensway/417 to MARCH/MARCH RD. exit, EXIT 138, toward CH. EAGLESON/EAGLESON RD./KANATA. 600m
2. Take the EAGLESON RD SOUTH ramp. 0.09 km
3. Turn LEFT onto EAGLESON RD/CHEMIN EAGLESON/RR-49 S. 2.1 km
4. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto HAZELDEAN RD/CHEMIN HAZELDEAN/RR-36 1.3 km
5. Turn LEFT onto CASTLEFRANK RD/CHEMIN CASTLEFRANK. 0.3 km
6. 46 CASTLEFRANK ROAD is on your left at the stop sign.
7. Go up the hill to the church and park at the top. There will be a sign on the church doors near the parking lot directing you.
8. Go thru' the doors and into the main hall.

Directions using public transportation (from the East)
1. OC Transpo route 118 starts at the Hurdman station.
2. For stops check the 118 route: http://www.octranspo1.com/maps/
3. The stop you want is Hazeldean & Castlefrank
4. Walk west on Castlefrank following signs for the library
5. The church is on your left and is well signed.
6. Go up the hill to the front doors
7. Go thru' the doors and into the main hall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be able to make it this week. Will be good to see everybody again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve and everyone else,

We should really try to think of how to spend that war chest. I know we can buy more games but at game nights I tend to see that people want to play their own games (although I remember that Eclipse got good mileage - a rare game at the time).

Most of us are professionals who tend to go out and buy the games we want to play. In that case we simply arrive with them and try to find takers.

So I'm asking if there is anything different we can do with the money. Some suggestions:

1) Buy hard-to-find or unique games for the club.
2) Maybe another could be to buy games for CHEO or something.
3) Perhaps choose another charity (gaming related) like those Christmas trees in stores.
4) We could also look at spending the money on gateway games for newbies who come in so we don't scare them away with some of the deeper games that we play (TTR, Settlers, Carc ect).

Any thoughts or other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion Don.

Scott, Starcraft this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:

Sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Halden
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockridge wrote:

We should really try to think of how to spend that war chest. I know we can buy more games but at game nights I tend to see that people want to play their own games (although I remember that Eclipse got good mileage - a rare game at the time).

Most of us are professionals who tend to go out and buy the games we want to play. In that case we simply arrive with them and try to find takers.

So I'm asking if there is anything different we can do with the money. Some suggestions:

3) Perhaps choose another charity (gaming related) like those Christmas trees in stores.
4) We could also look at spending the money on gateway games for newbies who come in so we don't scare them away with some of the deeper games that we play (TTR, Settlers, Carc ect).

We discussed this at ludo a bit. We thought maybe The GreAt Zumbabwe could be a contender as it is doubtful anyone would buy it on their own. I like the idea of rare games or cheo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopper1 wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

Sure!

Since Scott requested, if he can't make it, I'll postpone. If it's a go, you're in. Seats up to 6, but it'd be a shorter game if we can stick to 4 max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
flag msg tools
Hopefully I can make it out as well this week as it has been too long. Chris, if I do make it would you want to give Lord of the Rings LCG another go? If so we can use your decks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lockridge wrote:

Another possibility may be to schedule a game day in Kanata on a weekend once or twice a year that is run by the club. The money could be used to rent a facility for a day and do some promotion.

I've also thought about the possibility of doing something in conjunction with the library since it is right beside the church. That might fit well with Don's suggestion of buying some lighter games and also kinda fits with my first suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
GamerAtom wrote:
Good suggestion Don.

Yup, I'm there! Mike, nice to see you're in! One more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Lockridge wrote:

AGoT tourney; winner take all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Gamer wrote:
Lockridge wrote:

Might as well save some time and give me the money now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:
Darth Gamer wrote:
Lockridge wrote:

Might as well save some time and give me the money now.

Playing for money certainly would change the game AND make it seem extremely thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Gamer wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:
Good suggestion Don.

Yup, I'm there! Mike, nice to see you're in! One more?

We've done 6 before at the Church and 'just' finished in time. If we do have 6, my only request is try to plan ahead and do your turn relatively quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
mvalenta wrote:
Lockridge wrote:

Another possibility may be to schedule a game day in Kanata on a weekend once or twice a year that is run by the club. The money could be used to rent a facility for a day and do some promotion.

I've also thought about the possibility of doing something in conjunction with the library since it is right beside the church. That might fit well with Don's suggestion of buying some lighter games and also kinda fits with my first suggestion.

Who knows, the publicity may lead to more gamers joining. I can see it now - Steve's mug in the Kanata Courier Standard handing a pile of games to a charity with the caption "Kanata Board Gamers Give Back to Community". (I'm kidding but not completely)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I've had time to read the classic Merchant of Venus rules if anyone wants a rematch. Last time we played the new "standard" FFG rules. Otherwise I'll bring something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
GamerAtom wrote:

We've done 6 before at the Church and 'just' finished in time. If we do have 6, my only request is try to plan ahead and do your turn relatively quickly.

No, I think 4 is a good idea if people are playing for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MIke H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Gamer wrote:
GamerAtom wrote:

No, I think 4 is a good idea if people are playing for the first time.

I want to play as the Borg!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be there this week - its been at least a year! I'm up for just about anything, but Merchant of Venus sounds good. I'm also interested in any of the following, if someone wants to bring/teach:

Lords of Vegas
Thunderstone: Advance
Core Worlds
King of Tokyo
Eclipse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
flag msg tools
Couldn't make it out again... grrr... ah well, maybe next time. One day I will get my game piece off of you Steve. Until then game on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Valenta
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was great to have a chance to come out to a game night last night. It's been a while. If I counted correctly, there were 16 or 17 people in attendance. I had a great time playing Innovation, Agricola and Tsuro with Dan, Remi and Fay(?). There were quite a few other games on the go, like StarCraft: The Board Game, Merchant of Venus (second edition), Hansa, Discworld: Ankh-Morpork and a few others I didn't recognize.

I'd be curious to know how the other games went including an assessment of whether the new Merchant of Venus rules are better or worse than the old rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
mvalenta wrote:
I'd be curious to know how the other games went including an assessment of whether the new Merchant of Venus rules are better or worse than the old rules.

Hi Mike,
Its been 20 years since I've played the original version but I do know that this new game comes with both classic and new rules. They've included components for both versions and all you have to do is flip the board to play one or the other.

I've played one game of each version so I suppose that makes me an expert now. The classic version has a shorter, simpler ruleset while the new version has more rules but seems more thematic. For example, Hazard spaces cost you money in the classic version while the new version requires either a laser check, shield check or piloting check.

I believe the new ruleset allows for more player interaction due to some Encounter cards and a greater ability to affect other player's plans by buying and selling goods. If your opponent beats you to a market you might suffer consequences.

Without going into too much detail I like both versions quite a bit for altogether different reasons. I would need to play it some more before I could form a solid opinion about which is better though.

If you like I could bring it again next week.

Oh, and glad you could make it back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.