Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of my biggest problems with this game is the ginormous board. Even when folded up this board is still huge. I've gotten rid of my insert and just use Plano boxes and small cardboard card boxes to carry my extra cards, but the game board still makes me keep the giant box around.

This got me thinking-- has anyone created there own board that's just 12 individual squares?

It _should_ be easy enough to do, just print up 12 separate zones, glue each one on some sort of thick base if I want, and then place something along the bottom to keep them from slipping.

The squares themselves are right around the side of the spellbook so that will drastically reduce the box size.

Does anyone have a PDF of one of those squares? If anything I suppose I could just use one of the Dungeons and Dragons tiles as a base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything the board could be a bit bigger

Once you get out several creatures and traps etc... it can feel a bit cluttered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of one of my questions after first play. There's no limit to the amount of stuff in a square, right? (Other than limits around duplicate stuff of the same name).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No there are no limits, bigger board is a necessity when the board gets busy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use "A/B" indicators, placing one of the "A's" on the board and placing an identical "A" off the board to reduce clutter and increase space when a square gets particularly stuffed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When playing the board would be the exact same size (you could actually increase it by moving the squares further apart), all I want to do is decrease the board size for storage and transportation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Stegner
United States
Grain Valley
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We printed the board out on vinyl and made it bigger! IMO its too small for swarms and multiple mages with multiple enchantments running on them (My only complaint about the game). Bigger is Better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a time when we thought of going puzzle-cut for the board, but we wanted the cards to slide as easily as possible, and we were worried about them getting caught on the puzzle edges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmccoy wrote:
There was a time when we thought of going puzzle-cut for the board, but we wanted the cards to slide as easily as possible, and we were worried about them getting caught on the puzzle edges.

I really hope some day you will reconsider.

The only physical weak link in Mage Wars is the board. It makes transport a big problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it's that big of a deal. It makes transporting the game a problem but nothing that you would need to release an entirely different board (unless maybe it was part of an expansion?). Luckily they're just squares with a material pasted on the bottom to keep them from sliding.

:-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stadi wrote:
seanmccoy wrote:

I really hope some day you will reconsider.

The only physical weak link in Mage Wars is the board. It makes transport a big problem.

Why don't you just cut your board to the size you want?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately the board creases through the middle of four squares for when it's folded to fit in the box, that's why I was wondering if anyone made their own for printing.

For instance, this is a DnD tile that could be made into one. Right now it's probably too small (8x8, I don't remember off hand what the Mage Wars are) but it would be easy enough to add squares to that to make it whatever size I wanted.
http://www.twesterm.com/DnD/Tiles/DMTiles/8x8_Dungeon_Floor_...

If I felt like being fancy I could even add props to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Edmond
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw someone on the mage wars forum use two standard CCG mats and then put them together. I think that would be the best for me. They would fit in a standard CCG case, and each player could personalize there side of the board and two of them put together is about the same size as the Mage Wars board. If these are not made, I think I will get them made, but I would like everyone to have them so if I went to a game store to play, I would know that someone else would have one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you don't really even have to have a board. you just need a grid of 8"x8" spaces (if you want the same size tiles).

personally, i'd just use some felt speed cloth; you can roll it up as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.