Jungle» Forums » Variants

Subject: modified Cat.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The cat is basically a defensive piece as its too weak to attack unless the forces are greatly reduced.

One thing that adds to the charm of this game is that lesser pieces have certain unusual abilities (e.g. the mouse) to offset their weaknesses.

In the case of the cat he has nothing. His lesser the mouse has the great ability to kill Elephant and his better the Dog can swim in the lake.

So the Cat gets the modest ability of being able to leap over a trap or the den. Thus he can only leap one square, but with this it will add to his defensive ability as he is the only piece that can move across the den and defend from a different side.

Note: the cat is not allowed to capture in this way as otherwise it probably makes the game too likely to draw as its too easy to hunker down in the den area.

Giving the cat the ability to leap is also thematic as most or all of the other cats in the game can leap. This cat is smaller and therefor his leap is smaller.

Makes sense? The only thing that makes it inconsistent is the big cats can leap and capture but the house cat cannot capture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy
Germany
flag msg tools
Go Lizards, Go Hogs, Go Illini; and the Army keeps rolling along!
badge
Hillbilly Schwäbisch
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. I like it. May try this with my kids. They still haven't quite mastered how to defend the traps. They wait one move (at least) too long to respond, and then their defender gets to just watch the opponent move into the den.

I like the theme of "all cats can jump". Should the leopard get a similar capability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes the cat theme is very prevalent and the small leap is useful without being game breaker.

As for one move too late: I was doing that a lot when I first started playing a few days ago. Typically, you try to save a piece from an attacking animal only to realize that you've left two traps unguarded and a move to threaten both will win.

The trap concept is huge conceptual leap and really gives much of the character of the game.

As for leopard: It depends on which rule set you play. One version is leopards jump both sideways over lakes and forward whereas tigers/lions only forward. I am not sure this is a minority opinion or what. I cant recall from all the stuff Ive read. But I did send a question to a BGG user who plays this way to ask the origination .

Oh but you're asking if the leopard can jump sideways over the trap? I hadnt thought about that till now. Hmm. Let me think about that. That's a really interesting idea if he can jump sideways over either one trap or both traps/den (jumping over 3 spaces) I like that.

Currently I am playing with leopard has the additional sideways jump over lakes. It seemed to factor in a little (1/4 games) when I played on the traditional 8x7 board, but I am not playing on a 9x8 board (adding a wolf) and the leopard move hasnt come up in 16 games...

But definitely would encourage you to use both the cat and improved panther. This game is deeper than it looks, your children should have fond memories of this.

I am now up to 20 games and will hopefully post some session reports on interesting positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.