Dark Legacy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So, just completed my first full game of MK with Goldyx.

Man, the tiles were mean this time round, nothing but hills and sand! Managed to slog through but early game carelessness cost me my hand after getting paralyzed by Medusa (I stupidly thought I could chance a dungeon in the first round). There went my hand and it was an uphill struggle from there.

I passed two villages on my way north of the tiles, to my dismay, there were only Keep and Mage units on sale (for the first and second rounds) . cry

Killed a few rampaging Orcs for the fame and ended up with two Utem units recruited by mid-game. Stormed two keeps (luckily, they were both low-level enemies) and two Mage towers.

On the last round I eventually moved onto the first core tile on my second to last turn. I was hoping to draw a City, to help boost my score and also knowing I had good chance with Mana Bolt and Whirlwind in my hand. Sadly, it was a poxy Draconum tile and the round was over before I could even get to him, (my dummy player Tovak, had amassed red and blue crystals and had an uncanny ability of drawing the same colour cards).

All in all, I finished with an ultra-low score of 71. I will hope to improve on this tomorrow.

I know where I went wrong and also spent two turns (in total) resting. I also think I spent to many turns killing low level minions, the early hand loss to Medusa was costly though. I think I need to push for more artifacts and possibly start burning monasteries.

Can't wait...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brown monsters for me means a minimum of range 4 or block 6 with an attack of at least 5, otherwise it hurts too much on too many draws; I've had my early game derailed by gargoyles and golems of all sorts many times. best of luck on the AA and monsters next time (I have fought twin medusas using agility and lots of movement which was pretty funny as it let me beat them with an empty hand )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wootsick
United States
ZEBULON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how you post a legit, seemingly honest, game review. Its very amusing to see people post 250+ scores on here - I very much question their understanding of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diesel2sour wrote:
I like how you post a legit, seemingly honest, game review. Its very amusing to see people post 250+ scores on here - I very much question their understanding of the rules.

I've never even played a solo game so I have no stake in the matter. But it's obvious there's an enormous difference in depth of analysis and play between someone who's just learning the game, is completing their first full game, and is surprised to be paralyzed by a medusa, and someone who has played many times, knows all of the enemies that they might face in a dungeon and exactly what they are going to do against each one. It shouldn't be at all surprising that the latter scores much, much better than the former.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hughes
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for sharing. I played my first full game a couple of weeks ago for a whopping 52 final score. Have now played 7 times and managed to get both cities on two occasions. The first win was on my 5th game (110 points), but I know of atleast one rule i was playing wrong - I was playing Sword of Justice and counting that as a discard for an auto +3 bonus, oops.

My most recent game last night i finished on 149. Similar to your start I had a failed attempt on a Monster Den on my first Day, but luckily managed to turn it around on the first Night by (1) destroying a monastery, (2) faming up +7 by paying mana at an adventure site, and (3)taking out a mage tower, which, coupled with the rewards for each event, all helped to get me back on track. Was pretty exciting to pull for the win, and i felt much more confident that I had a my rules straight this time.

Looking forward to hearing your next update!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
diesel2sour wrote:

I've never even played a solo game so I have no stake in the matter. But it's obvious there's an enormous difference in depth of analysis and play between someone who's just learning the game, is completing their first full game, and is surprised to be paralyzed by a medusa, and someone who has played many times, knows all of the enemies that they might face in a dungeon and exactly what they are going to do against each one. It shouldn't be at all surprising that the latter scores much, much better than the former.
I think this is ture. My first couple solo games I scored under 100; though now I have scored pretty close to 150 in 2 out of my last 3 games (with one of those again below 100). I suspect my scores will continue to improve as I become more familiar with the game (8 games now - 7 solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found keeping the back of the walk through with the enemy token distributions/stats helps me know what might be coming next in the brown tokens which is a huge help in knowing when to take a risk (aka, I can handle 80% of the brown enemies I might draw so I'll risk the dungeon even though a gargoyle could ruin my turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.