Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Space_Empires:_4X

TONS of new features like Production Sheet automation; over a years worth of work!

Includes the Close Encounters Expansion!

Requires Vassal 3.2.0 (http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php)

Get it!

Space Empires Help File
https://www.dropbox.com/s/no3pni3c4bq8o9q/helpfilev2.pdf

Special thanks to my online testers:
Zach Eberbach
Gwal Gwal
msg tools
mbmb

Oliver Upshaw
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Jordan Kehrer
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb

Feature list:
-Better/Easier to use hot keys
-Production sheet that calculates Colony and Mineral CP from the board.
-Separate production sheets for Research Centers that also reads RP from the board and can add in your CP converted to RP.
-Minerals that you claim are automatically "towed" onto your production sheet and off the board. They are then labeled with what ECON Phase you collected them in for logging purposes.
-Ship and Tech purchases are logged based on what ECON Phase you have the ECON phase tracker set to.
-You can "play around" with different Ship and Tech purchases so you can see what you can afford and what might be optimal for your strategy (basically you can keep adding stuff on and refreshing your Remaining CP to see if you can afford what you want).
-There is a Unique Ship designer that correctly adds up the cost of your components and updates the ship cost on the Ship Buy tab.
-You can also manually enter values into the production sheet in case you have an Empire or Alien card that alters what you should be collecting in terms of CP.
-You can half or zero-out your maintenance for any ship by changing it's value on the Group Stats menu. (Note: the maintenance values are all multiplied by 10 since Vassal was not able to handle fractional amounts for maintenance very well, so 1 hull size of maintenance reads as "10", 2 is "20, half maintenance on a x1 ship would be "5").
-The battle board can now COUNT player and NPA ships that are NOT screened so you can easily calculate Fleet Size Bonus.
-I've made a bunch of tweaks to help speed up the game too since there was some lag issues during gameplay in the older version.
-One PROBLEM is there is a MAJOR MAJOR initial load time, even on my higher end PC it can take over a minute to load up a scenario. But once you get playing it runs very smoothly. Just be wary when you are joining a game in Vassal that it will say "synchronization complete" but it may be another minute or so before the map fully loads. Sorry about this, I was inadvertently channeling old-school PC games that took forever to load up ;-)
-You have a hand now for cards
-The counter graphics have been improved a bit, they are slightly higher resolution and much sharper looking than before.
-All of the scenarios are pre-loaded (the maps at least, I did not go and pre-set starting techs for different scenarios, like the Knife Fight for instance where you start with better Ship Size and Move tech).
-There is a menu now when you first load a map to "initialize" the board. All the of counters on the board when you first load a scenario are just place holders. YOu have the option to swap out home system marker colors if you wish before initializing the board. Then all you have to do is hit the big CLICK TO START button and your pieces and the deep space markers get shuffled and distributed (NOTE: this can take a minute so be patient). Each player has to do this at the start of a new game. You'll know it is finished b/c when you right click on a space marker it will have the option to use Exploration Technology and be revealed.
-To start a PBEM game, or any game where your opponents are not online with you when you start, you should right click the CLICK TO START button and select START PBEM GAME. All this does is set up the ENTIRE board, so all home system and deep space markers instead of just YOUR home system markers.
-The entire point of the color swap thing in the start menu is because you may not always want to play as Blue and Green in a 2P map.
-There are a number of "left click" buttons in the game on the production sheet and start up menu, sometimes you have to double-left click them to get them to work (a Vassal issue). You can always RIGHT click on these buttons and get a menu item that you can click as well if you prefer.
-Fleet marker board is in the game along with new player reference sheets and the VP tracker for the Co-Op scenarios.
-A rangefinder tool is included for calculating the # of hexes between locations for retreating or for DM/AP movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Walker
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
great news
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilcoxon
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloading now. Ten minutes left...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy stearman
Australia
dudley
nsw
flag msg tools
mbmb
does anyone want to start a PBEM
game , im new to the game
but not to vassel
at first look this looks like a game that would work well
PBEM

andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded Vassal and the module. Now to figure out how to use Vassal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
andystear wrote:
does anyone want to start a PBEM
game , im new to the game
but not to vassel
at first look this looks like a game that would work well
PBEM

andy

I think this game would work pretty well pbem. Unfortunately, I've only played the base game twice, so I probably wouldn't be a good one to teach. Looking forward to trying out the next expansion. Looks really good.

I downloaded 3.2 and the module with the expansion. Is anyone else experiencing long load times for this module? I need to try and load a few other game modules with 3.2 to see if it's slow for other modules as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

So this is a video I made over a year ago for the FIRST iteration of the Vassal module, Many things have changed since then, but the general how-to-use Vassal stuff should still apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmaKiRdSeQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

Welcome to Vassal. If you're like me, then you'll get chances to play games that might never see the light of day otherwise. Right now I'm learning and playing For the People, a cdg game by GMT. No chance I would have found a real life F2F opponent for that one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrono280 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

So this is a video I made over a year ago for the FIRST iteration of the Vassal module, Many things have changed since then, but the general how-to-use Vassal stuff should still apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmaKiRdSeQ

Thanks! I did watch this right after I posted. Didn't notice it until after.

Playing around with it now. Wish me luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Welcome to Vassal. If you're like me, then you'll get chances to play games that might never see the light of day otherwise. Right now I'm learning and playing For the People, a cdg game by GMT. No chance I would have found a real life F2F opponent for that one...

Thanks very much! I do intend on exploring more Vassal, but for now I want to learn with SE:4X.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have two questions.

First, is there a way to select the base game when picking maps? The few times I've tried it seems to be the expansion.

Second, what are the minimum requirements for the computer to run Vassal? I've checked the user guide and all it says is what version of Java and Windows is needed. It runs really slow for me - took about 5 minutes from selecting the map to the next step (picking colours, I think). Then after I read the opening window talking about how to change colours, I right clicked on the Start button, selected PBEM and nothing happened for a few minutes. I then exited the program to post here.

Thanks very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
I now have two questions.

First, is there a way to select the base game when picking maps? The few times I've tried it seems to be the expansion.

Second, what are the minimum requirements for the computer to run Vassal? I've checked the user guide and all it says is what version of Java and Windows is needed. It runs really slow for me - took about 5 minutes from selecting the map to the next step (picking colours, I think). Then after I read the opening window talking about how to change colours, I right clicked on the Start button, selected PBEM and nothing happened for a few minutes. I then exited the program to post here.

Thanks very much.

The module is for both the Base game and the Expansion. You just chose amongst your opponents what rules/ships you want to use. There is no separate module/option for the Expansion.

One thing I mention in the help file is that the module takes a LONG time to load initially. Think of it as an (unintentional) homage to classic sci fi PC games. Even on my high end desktop, it takes over a full minute to load a map and then another minute for the Click to Start button to finish setting up the board. You can confirm the click to start button is finished with board set up by right clicking on any Space Marker and seeing that there are more options, such as Use Exploration Technology. This means the board is now set up, but do give it a few minutes to get itself situated, especially if you are playing in real time with multiple players.

The whole point of the set up menu is to allow players to swap out the default home system markers (Blue and Green for 2P, B/G/R for 3P) for other colors if they wish.

Each player must hit the click to start button if you are playing a live game, and preferably, try to hit the button in sequence, rather than all at once.

Alternatively, you can right click the button and select START A PBEM GAME which will allow you to set up the entire map in one push. THe idea being that your opponents are not present for a PBEM game and you need to set the board up for them without swapping their colors.

Even though the initial load time and board setup takes quite a while, the game play speed has been improved over the older module and the images have been sharpened somewhat.

One final note, if left clicking doesn't seem to work, try double clicking on a button. Sometimes Vassal is finicky about it.

Most of this is in the Space Empires Help file too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bob. I look forward to giving it a try. Automated Production sheets.... Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:
Thanks Bob. I look forward to giving it a try. Automated Production sheets.... Sweet!

You're welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your efforts in this. The first mod was really well done, and I can only assume this is that much better. My friends and I will get much more out of this game due to you and your hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Leban
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks much for all the work. For all the years I've never tried Vassal this module is probably going to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On a side note, if any of you guys have time, send a "Thank You" over to the developers at Vassal. They've worked really hard to give everybody the ability to play board games online. And for volunteers they were super helpful when I was developing the module here. They even fixed a show-stopping bug a few months back and they didn't have to do that!

http://www.vassalengine.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=160b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is *very* nice, thank you.

The dropbox link above does not seem to be working for me. Was trying to figure out how the automated production works.

EDIT: I found the help menu item within Vassal which seems to bring it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
telengard wrote:
This is *very* nice, thank you.

The dropbox link above does not seem to be working for me. Was trying to figure out how the automated production works.

EDIT: I found the help menu item within Vassal which seems to bring it up.

Let me know if you still need help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.