Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Rucker
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up for those interested, this documentary is available currently on instant streaming on Netflix.

The movie told the history of the board game and how it became a worldwide phenomenom and also followed several hopefuls in tournament play and rise to the World Championship of Monopoly (yes, it does exist!).

Although Monopoly generally gets a bad rep around here, this documentary was a nice one-time watch even for non-lovers of the game (myself included).

Now if only Netflix adds Going Cardboard....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the film but found the use of the execrable "Speed Die" in a tournament setting to be outrageous. It really does obliterate all skill and makes the game into the phantom that "discerning gamers" believe they see when the box comes out.

Watch the film, hate the die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tostado
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mb
Chris,
I couldn't agree with you more about the Speed Die. It was very unfortunate that Hasbro chose to make the players use it, as it was a dramatic gameplay shift from all prior US & World MONOPOLY Championships, and forced us as storytellers to have to teach our audiences about it so that they didn't ask out loud why there was a 3rd die in the game that they had never seen.

In fact, Ken Koury, who is featured in the film, does not count the 2009 US & World Championships as a true championship, and says that Matt McNally is still the Classic MONOPOLY US Champion.

Kevin Tostado
Director, Under the Boardwalk: The MONOPOLY Story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really loved Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story.

Great directing!!!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DuBois
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this the other night, and it put me on severe tilt. Just watching tournaments get decided game after game by who rolls the red jerk face first. Wow.

Perhaps Ha$bro should include these:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.