Subject: Getting to Boardgamegeek.com through the backdoor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My employer has anything with the word "game" in it blocked on our computers. I used to be able to get in by going to "Ra" on Wikipedia, then to a Knizia link. But now that route doesn't work either. Anyone know of a backdoor route. Not that I would be going to boardgamegeek during my work time, of course. I mean during lunch or during our pitiful break times. Yeah, that's it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:
My employer has anything with the word "game" in it blocked on our computers. I used to be able to get in by going to "Ra" on Wikipedia, then to a Knizia link. But now that route doesn't work either. Anyone know of a backdoor route. Not that I would be going to boardgamegeek during my work time, of course. I mean during lunch or during our pitiful break times. Yeah, that's it!

Try this: http://www.bgg.cc/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you reach the site by IP address?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I hate to display my internet ignorance, but what's an IP address?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Well it's actually a binary combination of a network identifier and it's corresponding client...

Oh hell.

Okay when you type in "boardgamegeek.com" it translates into a numerical address that your computer uses to get to the website.

So when you type "google.com" it actually has to go to a server "WTF is google.com?" and the server replies "it's IP address is 65.235.83.119" (or whatever it is" and your browser goes "SWEET! Hey internet, gimmie 65.235.83.119" and you get a web page.

Most beautiful explanation ever! If only everybody did it like this I woul d probably learn more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Use at your own risk. Most employers aren't happy about bypassing filters.
This is sound advise. It would cause to much trouble if you get caught.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Nate Walker and Sean Westberg. I'll try both methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Your best option it to use something like gotomypc.com or RealVNC (RealVNC is free, but maybe more complicated to get it to work for a non computer savvy person) to open a connection from your system at work to your system at home. Then you can use your home system to do whatever you want. It might be slightly slow depending on the speed of your home internet connection, but this is by far your best option rather than trying to work around whatever firewall rules have been set up by your employer. You can also have plenty of excuses as to why you needed to use your home system to do something whereas if you are caught trying to circumvent the firewall rules you really have no excuse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Another method to try would be going to www.tinyurl.com and at that website entering "www.boardgamegeek.com" (without quotation marks) into the box, and have it generate a tinyURL link for you, which will look like tinyurl.com/gibberish, where gibberish is a very short string of random characters.

For example, I just did the above and it generated a shortened link of:
http://tinyurl.com/2wqau
which will forward to the www.boardgamegeek.com homepage

This is very handy when you need to shorten a massively long link, but it may also help you circumvent the filter since the word "game" doesn't show up in the link.

As another example, this thread's URL is
"http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893166/getting-to-boardgamegeek-com-through-the-backdoor"
But tinyURL shortens it to
http://tinyurl.com/dyr5348
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

Rules are made to be broken devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
stlm wrote:
Another method to try would be going to www.tinyurl.com and at that website entering "www.boardgamegeek.com" (without quotation marks) into the box, and have it generate a tinyURL link for you, which will look like tinyurl.com/gibberish, where gibberish is a very short string of random characters.

For example, I just did the above and it generated a shortened link of:
http://tinyurl.com/2wqau
which will forward to the www.boardgamegeek.com homepage

This is very handy when you need to shorten a massively long link, but it may also help you circumvent the filter since the word "game" doesn't show up in the link.

As another example, this thread's URL is
"http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/893166/getting-to-boardgamegeek-com-through-the-backdoor"
But tinyURL shortens it to
http://tinyurl.com/dyr5348

Unfortunately TinyURL just does a 301 redirect to the actual page, which means most filters will still see it as a visit to boardgamegeek.com (and filter it out in this case).

IP address seems like the best bet (but as mentioned above, use at your own risk if you have IT policies specifically forbidding this behaviour at work, if you think your exception is legitimate you would be better off asking IT to add a route through the filter).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kowalski
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google Reader?
This won't solve everything, but you can almost certainly use google reader to at least see the first posts in any of the forums that you subscribe to the rss feed of. That would get you the subject posts for and new topics in "hot deals," "general gaming," and the like. This is almost certainly less likely to trigger some sort of serious IT concern, as you're not using any sort of deliberate third party IP scrambler so much as just viewing one of many potentially legitimate RSS feeds.

The trick is that you'll likely need to set reader up from home, as you're going to need to be able to access bgg in order to click on the "rss feed" link for each forum you want to subscribe to.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've always found that some wine and a little pillow talk goes a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hewer
United Kingdom
Louth
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:

Okay when you type in "boardgamegeek.com" it translates into a numerical address that your computer uses to get to the website.

So when you type "google.com" it actually has to go to a server "WTF is google.com?" and the server replies "it's IP address is 65.235.83.119" (or whatever it is" and your browser goes "SWEET! Hey internet, gimmie 65.235.83.119" and you get a web page. We go through all this because remembering google.com is WAY easier than remembering lists of nondescript numbers, and computers are pretty fast at doing the URL lookup (incidentally, the service that does this, among many other things, is called DNS. So when your "DNS server is down", that's why you aren't able to get out onto the internet. Usually. I won't go into the exceptions).

Wonderful explanation if ever i did see one, well played sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:

If you're running windows at home, go to start, run, type in "cmd" and hit enter (or just start> Type cmd and hit enter if you're using windows 7).

Then type "ping boardgamegeek.com". You'll get a bunch of gibberish. You are looking for the big number in brackets after "pinging boardgamegeek.com".

While ping will do, it's worth knowing that Windows does have an nslookup tool:

C:\>nslookup boardgamegeek.com
Server: example.com
Address: 10.0.0.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: boardgamegeek.com
Address: 72.233.16.130
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of sound advice.

http://72.233.16.130/
http://www.bgg.cc/
(I'd opt for the second as it gives you more cover from accusations of directly trying to bypass a filter.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
NBAfan wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

Rule-breakers are born to be incarcerated.

Your serve.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Lots of sound advice.

http://72.233.16.130/
http://www.bgg.cc/
(I'd opt for the second as it gives you more cover from accusations of directly trying to bypass a filter.)

Our filter actually blocks both of these. The regular Boardgamegeek.com is allowed though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:
.... (but as mentioned above, use at your own risk if you have IT policies specifically forbidding this behaviour at work, if you think your exception is legitimate you would be better off asking IT to add a route through the filter).

This part really warrants repetition and emphasis!

Honestly, is a peek at the latest game news or a look to see if your forum question has been answered worth risking your job anytime? But in this day and age, in this economy and job market? Are you so secure in your job skills that you know for a fact that you can instantly have another job in another company? Are there others who should be considered, who rely on you and your income?

Many companies have a zero-tolerance policy toward misuse of company time and resources for interweb play of any sort, and where you might hope for leniency regarding a first-time infraction even in such a company, if you do the least little thing to show "intent", such as bypassing filters or firewalls, you will be out the door.

To my mind, it's just not worth it.... but then, I am a retired gentleman who worked hard all my life and crossed the finish line quite a few years early, and I am looking backward upon the security of a career completed -- I would never risk what I have, but it's easier to risk what one does not yet have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
Well it's actually a binary combination of a network identifier and it's corresponding client...

Oh hell.

So when you type "google.com" it actually has to go to a server "WTF is google.com?" and the server replies "it's IP address is 65.235.83.119" (or whatever it is" and your browser goes "SWEET! Hey internet, gimmie 65.235.83.119" and you get a web page. We go through all this because remembering google.com is WAY easier than remembering lists of nondescript numbers, and computers are pretty fast at doing the URL lookup (incidentally, the service that does this, among many other things, is called DNS. So when your "DNS server is down", that's why you aren't able to get out onto the internet. Usually. I won't go into the exceptions).

It has been said before, but I have to say it again, wonderful explanation!

Gambiteer wrote:
delinear wrote:
.... (but as mentioned above, use at your own risk if you have IT policies specifically forbidding this behaviour at work, if you think your exception is legitimate you would be better off asking IT to add a route through the filter).

This part really warrants repetition and emphasis!

Honestly, is a peek at the latest game news or a look to see if your forum question has been answered worth risking your job anytime? But in this day and age, in this economy and job market? Are you so secure in your job skills that you know for a fact that you can instantly have another job in another company? Are there others who should be considered, who rely on you and your income?

Many companies have a zero-tolerance policy toward misuse of company time and resources for interweb play of any sort, and where you might hope for leniency regarding a first-time infraction even in such a company, if you do the least little thing to show "intent", such as bypassing filters or firewalls, you will be out the door.

To my mind, it's just not worth it.... but then, I am a retired gentleman who worked hard all my life and crossed the finish line quite a few years early, and I am looking backward upon the security of a career completed -- I would never risk what I have, but it's easier to risk what one does not yet have.

I have to agree on this one! If you're sure it wouldn't be a problem, it'll probably be better to just call your IT department and ask for the exception than sneak your way around it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:

I saltue you for fighting "the system" and sticking it to "the man."

BGG . . . encouraging healthy rebellion by gamers everywhere!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It worked! msging from behind enemy lines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mad Hatter
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lokides wrote:
NBAfan wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

That would look great on the unemployment insurance form when asked why you're no longer at the former job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prankster007 wrote:
It worked! msging from behind enemy lines

Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Score one for doing things the Wong way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AdrianPHague wrote:
lokides wrote:
NBAfan wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

Rule-breakers are born to be incarcerated.

Your serve.

Not the good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.