Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
How long are the TCS scenarios to play? How good are they solo? Also, is there going to be a Vassal module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe someone mentioned that there are a few (two?) smaller scenarios which are in the 3-4 hour range, but most would be longer.
Let me see if I can find you a link to that thread.

Ah - found it at CSW, starting with this thread:

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd4e1b2/28

One person asks this question:

Quote:
Hi, I would like to check if there will be any scenarios playable within 3-4 hours? thank you

Designer responds:

Quote:
3 -4 hours ........ well it depends on how much experience you have playing TCS. I'd say at least two scens, could fit that time frame. The first scen deals with the initial attack on Norrey and the other deals with a pure Company of Pz V attack with an outside change of some Grenadiere getting involved.

Playtesting the CG is still underway but hopefully we'll be posting more info on the game soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Scenario lengths in turns are (in order):

44/104/164 (campaign game with various lengths)

However, the number of units in each scenarios varies wildly. Some of the shorter scenarios actually involve quite a few units. The sheer amount of artillery in a given scenario makes a big difference as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Scenario lengths in turns are (in order):

44/104/164 (campaign game with various lengths)

However, the number of units in each scenarios varies wildly. Some of the shorter scenarios actually involve quite a few units. The sheer amount of artillery in a given scenario makes a big difference as well.

For those of us not familiar with playing the TCS system (DaveyJJ and I fall into that category) and not knowing how long a turn typically takes, if the two shortest scenarios are 9 and 11 turns and the designer said that they could be played in 3-4 hours, does that mean a turn will typically take 20 minutes?

Extrapolating, a 104 turn game would be ~33 hours, and a "typical" 30-35 turn game would be 10 - 12 hours?

I'm aware from experience with other games that this would vary wildly with the number of units involved, but is that a "safe" estimate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick McKown
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a bit more detail regarding each scenario in Canadian Crucible (CC). Personally playtested 5.1, 5.2, 5.3 and 5.7.

5.1: 14 turns, one PzGren bn (w/ possible arty spt) attacks and and a half dug-in, reinforced, Cdn inf coys w/ good arty spt; in playtesting it did not usually run to 14 turns as the German player normally tried to use the limited visibility of morning twilight to move close without getting plastered by the Cdn arty, bringing on an early assault (really only time for the Germans to try it once). I'd say it's generally do-able in an evening.

5.2: 28 turns, one and a half PzGren bns (w/ possible arty spt, possibly reinforced with a PzV tk coy) attacks one dug-in, reinforced (but beat-up) Cdn inf bn w/ arty spt; in playtesting the Germans usually had time to recover from any early set-back and try again. Probably two, maybe three, evenings or a Saturday kind of scenario.

5.3: 9 turns, one Cdn inf bn reinforced with a tk sqn and gobs of arty spt attacks one PzGren bn (possibly reinforced with a PzV tk coy); in playtesting this one was quick and dirty--one chance of success, get into the village behind the barrage! Do-able in an evening.

5.4: 20 turns, two PzV coys reinf w/ misc troops but limited arty (get more tks later but only 1-2 PzGren coys) attack three dug-in, reinforced Cdn inf coys w/ good arty spt; starts in the evening and runs through the night, Germans are highly mobile but have limited inf and arty to dig out the Cdns. I'd venture two evenings on this one.

5.5: 11 turns, one PzV coy w/ arty spt (possibly reinforced with 2-3 PzGren coys) attacks one dug-in, reinforced, Cdn inf coy w/ arty spt and tks; historically the PzVs outran their inf spt and got ambushed by the Cdn armour. Actually rather small, I'd say do-able in an evening.

5.6: 38 turns, one PzPionier bn w/ arty spt (possibly reinforced w/ two PzGren coys) attacks one dug-in reinforced Cdn inf coy w/ good arty spt and tks; the Germans have all day to putz around hoping their arty does something or the PzGrens join the party, but ultimately they have to face the Cdn arty to get into the village. This one really isn't any bigger than 5.2, and I suspect that it could either be very quick (that morning twilight rush as per 5.1) or drag out with a lot of the turns going fairly quickly as the arty does the heavy lifting.

5.7: 44/104/164 turns, this is the campaign game--starts basically at 5.1 and 5.2 but eventually almost everybody gets into the act, although that "everybody" is the equivalent of four PzGren bns plus two Pz bns against 2-4 Cdn inf bns plus one tk regt (bn) and supporting troops (and arty); lots of nice features in the CG to make it a challenge, but it does require a considerable time commitment even for the shortest version.

5.8: 19 turns, one Cdn inf bn and one tk regt w/ late-arriving arty attack one dug-in PzPionier bn and one dug-in PzGren bn w/ arty and three PzIV coys in reserve; if it sounds like really, really bad news for the Canadians, well, that's what happened historically! Given its small size I'd say this one is do-able in an evening.

5.9: 51 turns, hypothetical scenario set on D+1 having three Cdn inf bns w/ two tk sqns & arty attacking two PzGren bns w/ arty spt and reinforcing PzVs. Closest CC comes to a large scale set-piece attack. It's a big scenario so it would be a considerable time commitment.

As discussed in the TCS rulebook it is possible to play TCS solitaire by developing a number of possible plans (Op Sheets) then choosing one randomly. In scenarios 5.1-5.6 and 5.8 you really just need to work up a number of possible attack plans and set up the best possible defence, then randomly choose which attack plan to implement. 5.9 is bigger so you'd want to get some experience before tackling it; I'm not sure 5.7 (the CG) really lends itself to solitaire play due to the length and variables.

TCS is a great system and CC is a great game--the smaller scenarios are quite manageable to learn the ropes, and 5.2 and 5.6 are certainly long enough to see the implementation of new Op Sheets. The CG will be a real treat as each player has to juggle limited resources to get the job done. Hope you give it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Brien
msg tools
designer
Rick's done a pretty good description of what all the scenarios are about.

The only thing I'd add is some turns you'll want to take a moment to recover a suppressed or paralyzed unit or two before resuming the assault. These turns may go quicker than others.

Larry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.