Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I credit an article by Skip Maloney in Games Magazine many years ago for getting me into board gaming again. He wrote a brilliant article about playing Puerto Rico at BSW and after reading it I immediately visited the site and signed up. Then it happened...

I lurked on the site for a while. I watched many games of PR before I got the nerve to play. I played other, much less intimidating games while I worked up my nerve. When I finally played it the first time, I made a point of announcing that I was a complete noob. I got yelled at a few times and some folks left rooms before we could start games. Occasionally, I would "Craft" when I should have "Shipped" and I got lectured more than once about my poor choices. I eventually got over it, and since then, I played a bunch of games and I have always enjoyed it (even taught it a few times).

What does this have to do with 7 Wonders? Well, 7 Wonders has become my new obsession. The mechanics are intriguing. I like the simultaneous action and the player interaction. I have read about it extensively and I am going to purchase it soon. I would like to try it out on BSW, but I am a bit intimidated by it all. The game moves awfully fast and I am concerned that my lack of speed will upset some folks. The sounds are confusing. I don't know the cards. I know that there is a way that I can announce that it is a "Novice Game", etc., but I am still concerned that I am going to piss off folks.

I know that I should get over it and just play, all ready.

Any thoughts?

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get two of your friends over and play a few hands just the three of you. Or just play a dumbie game playing all the hands in series.

Learn to read the cards and accept the fact that the first few games are going to go poorly; strategy comes after you find the cards you 'like'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Bright, brilliant colors are to be seen everywhere, the stones and pigments undimmed by the passage of decades. The floor of the corridor is a colorful mosaic of stone, with a distinct, winding path of red tiles about 2' wide.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call. Thanks brother.

Do people pay attention to the "conditions" of games on BSW? That is to say, if I say that it is a novice game, do folks respect that and approach the game a little bit more openmindedly?

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders doesn't suffer from the "seating arrangement" issue of PR. It's a much easier tableau building game.

My advice to you would be:

1. Focus first on building your resource producing cards (ie brown and gray cards). Also take note of what your neighbors are building, since you can buy off the resources from them so that can help you which brown/grey cards to build, and also note which resources are needed to build your wonder stages.
2. You will soon see what strategy your opponents will be going for (are they going for red, green, or blue cards?). This can help you decide in the direction you want to build (for example, if 1 or 2 are going for green, forget green, go for blue and red instead)
3. Don't forget that you can chain build some buildings for free (from the 2nd stage onwards) as long as you have the prequisite building already built. This rule is easy to forget!!!
4. Don't forget to build your wonder stages as well!

Good luck and enjoy this great game. It's one of my favorites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like we are in the same time zone. I'd be happy to join you for a relaxed game of 7W on BSW some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sample
United States
Pelham
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good Cameron. Thanks for the advice Fernando. I will be lurking tomorrow night under username queequeg.

Peace,
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hard Horse Jam
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You can try it on jeuxsurunplateau as well. The users there seem notably less irritable and are actually usually quite pleasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you start/create a game on bsw, you then have the option to set the "difficulty" level - I believe one of the options is Social, so if you set that it might keep most of the... not-so-nice gamers away. And you can always use the chat bar to post "Warning: Beginner/Social game" or similar.

Best of luck and happy gaming!
- Corey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.