Subject: Equip weapon from backpack and attack with that the same round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In my game, Filch has a bow and a dagger equipped (dagger in the tail), but it seems a little pointless. If he has the bow (or any two handed weapon for that matter) in the backpack at the start of his turn, he could equip that weapon and attack, then the next turn he could equip another weapon and attack with that the same turn. Basically the whole backpack is a pile full of wielded weapons and he can pick and choose every turn the weapon of choice. It would make more sense if the free actions had to come after the other actions, that way he had to think ahead before choosing weapons and armor.

Is my understanding of the rules correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only do one free action per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I think you've got the rules right.
If you want to attack with one weapon and defend with another it can be useful to have them both equipped. Some weapons have text that apply to defence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
You can only do one free action per turn.

You can do each free action once each turn. I also made this mistake at first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heroic Brewer
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
Yes I think you've got the rules right.
If you want to attack with one weapon and defend with another it can be useful to have them both equipped. Some weapons have text that apply to defence.

This. For example, you can have the toothpick equipped (2 handed, helps with defense), and also have a dagger equipped in the tail (which might be more useful depending on minion initiative).

At the very basic level, it's an extra slot where you can keep a spare dagger, freeing up room in your pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One use of each of the free actions, I believe there are three - equip, trade and another I think.

Filch also has access to a 2 cheese ability to attack with all the daggers he has equipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
One use of each of the free actions, I believe there are three - equip, trade and another I think.

Level up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:

Filch also has access to a 2 cheese ability to attack with all the daggers he has equipped.

Yeah thats handy. As it happens, Tilda previously found a staff that gives her +1 defense (and + 1 attack). She attacks with her mace, getting bonuses for wounded mice on her space, then equips the staff for defensive bonuses when the rats attack. On her turn, she switches back to the mace and attacks the rat, finishes it off.

This is what I have a slight problem with, it is just not thematic. In the middle of a fight, she searches through her backpack and equips weapons. I think I am going to do a house-rule on this one (i.e. you can only equip if there are no other minions on or adjacent to your space - kinda like engagement rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
Yeah thats handy. As it happens, Tilda previously found a staff that gives her +1 defense (and + 1 attack). She attacks with her mace, getting bonuses for wounded mice on her space, then equips the staff for defensive bonuses when the rats attack. On her turn, she switches back to the mace and attacks the rat, finishes it off.

This is what I have a slight problem with, it is just not thematic. In the middle of a fight, she searches through her backpack and equips weapons. I think I am going to do a house-rule on this one (i.e. you can only equip if there are no other minions on or adjacent to your space - kinda like engagement rules).

The catch with that is, in a big fight she can't switch back to the mace until her next turn, so the defense bonus only applies every other turn. Unthematic maybe, but I don't think it's a game breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on how seriously you want to take it.
Take the console game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, when you equip a shield you don't actually wield it until you press the block button which automatically sheaths what weapon you were wielding and draws out the shield and guards with it.
Then as soon as you are finished with your block and release the button, the shield goes back on your back and out comes whatever weapon(s) you had in your hand.

Thematically that was annoying because it was in real time and seemed so unrealistic (Whatever happened to just simply parrying with your weapon), but a board game has a different sense of perspective that of a summary of what has occurred rather than a distinct and highly detailed play-by-play of each action.

That is just my take on the wielding of a defensive weapon and switching to an offensive one to strike - so I have no issue with how it currently works in game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This thing is by no means a show stopper for me, the game is great fun and everyone in my household simply loves the hero mice! Some of the rules are not explained very well though, so I just wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.