Subject: Designer Diary says Strider Sprint weaker in 2ed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
In LoME Designer Diary 9, there is this excerpt:

Quote:
In the basic game, unless you’re doing a Strider Sprint (which in 2nd Edition is not as good an option as it was before), you want Aragorn in play as soon as possible.

I'll bite: why is Strider Sprint weaker than before? Seems like no difference to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking the alternate Witch King design probably does well against a Strider sprint- he shows up the moment the fellowship gets revealed, and then teleports on top of them every time they move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mandatory eye dice placed in hunt box if the fellowship moved the previous turn (introduced in 2nd ed)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The reasons mentioned are all good, plus there are some more I can think of - for example, the risk that Smeagol shows up (hampering Strider's ability) and the fact that the Shadow can actually play Gandalf the White denial, leaving the FP stuck with 4 dice...

Overall, 2nd Edition was already designed with the idea of making the "extreme" strategies (Strider Sprint, Shadow Blitz) - which are not very thematic - a little less appealing than before, and LOME takes a further step into the same direction.

You can still play those strategies, but they are not rewarding as they used to be in 1st edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.