Popular Tags: [View All]
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at the cards list on line and many cards are from previous sets (such as Orc Veteran, Old Troll, etc.) how can I identify the "Balrog" versions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reprints from the Balrog set are characterized by a silver/gray border, whereas the original versions have a black border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiser wrote:
Reprints from the Balrog set are characterized by a silver/gray border, whereas the original versions have a black border.

Alright, I think I managed to identify them. The print quality seems to be lower than older editions as well (the cards look faded). Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FEB
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also each set has a different rune printed in the lower right part of the card, below link gives a good example.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/66047/middle-earth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rune for Balrog looks like a backwards 'R'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Containerguy wrote:
Also each set has a different rune printed in the lower right part of the card, below link gives a good example.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/66047/middle-earth

The only problem is identifying it when rummaging through thousands of cards :/ ICE did not do a good job with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Adriaens
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be certain about it, the rune is the way to go, but there are other ways to find them:
They usually have ugly art and the cards are not always cut properly: you can see bits of grey-bordered cards on the edges of the black-bordered ones.
Other than that, most of the cards start with 'Balrog specific' and show art with a Balrog on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was definitely a very poor cut, half of the cards in my Balrog set had grey bands on one side. I think they were definitely in the process of trying to cut costs at that point in the game's lifecycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.