Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's a new one:

I decided to ship some of my games from Essen back to the US this year. I ended up shipping three boxes. Two of them have arrived safely, but one of them (going through New York City right around the time of Sandy) has not. I have been pretty patient given that I know that a lot of operations were upset by the storm. However, it's been well over a month since the package was scanned into the NYC facility, and calls to the US postal service haven't helped much at all. So I'd like to get an investigation started to hopefully find the package and get it moving again.

Here's where I need help.

Any investigation into a package must be initiated by the originating post office. So I need someone in the Essen area who is willing to go to the post office (the one by the hbf) and initiate an investigation for me. If you are going to be in or around Essen in the next few weeks and are able to help, please drop me a geekmail. I'm willing to tip GG or even pick up a game for anyone able to help me get my games (and clothes) home!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idea, but you might want to post this in the "Germany" forum as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Eddy. I got a couple of geekmails and I have been pointed to a page on the DHL website that might let me start the investigation myself. We'll see what happens next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully your package turns up at your doorstep soon.

I just received a package yesterday that was mailed on Sat Oct 20 from that same Essen post office. The package was sent via the fastest shipping (5-7 business days?) and took more than 6 weeks to arrive in California.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for stopping by the Essen post office go out to
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and for advice that got me to DHL's online packet investigation options to

Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In the end it appears that Sandy caused my package to be lost, destroyed or stolen, I guess. USPS and DHL both indicate that the best thing for me to do is just to submit the forms to get some money back, and give up on the contents.

I can buy more socks and underwear, and though some of the t-shirts are not so easy to replace I'll manage. And then there are the games. In case anyone is curious, the box contained:

Clocks, Courtier, Doctor Who Card Game, Dominare, Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients, Lord of the Rings: Nazgul, Mage Knight, Mercante, Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland, Power Grid: Québec/Baden-Württemberg, Shadows Over Camelot Card Game, Suburbia.

Some were gifts (I'm finding alternatives for those), some were freebies (I am sad not to be able to pass those along to friends), and some I'll just have to re-buy.

I'm not sure what the lesson learned here is, but I guess we just move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
the box contained:

Clocks, Courtier, Doctor Who Card Game, Dominare, Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients, Lord of the Rings: Nazgul, Mage Knight, Mercante, Power Grid: Northern Europe/United Kingdom & Ireland, Power Grid: Québec/Baden-Württemberg, Shadows Over Camelot Card Game, Suburbia.
Ouch. That's a lot of stuff. I hope you get enough money back to cover that loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.