Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Bayes
United States
O'Fallon
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Me and my buddy love playing games that challenge each other's strategy and planning skills. We are currently looking for a board game that can help us with that.
Does any one know of a good 2 player game
It doesn't matter how long it takes to play
Sci-fi or military would be cool but not needed
Something like Starcraft would be perfect.
By that I mean many different units with different abilities and skills but none being overly powerful such as a sniper that can shoot far but has low health or a tank that can take a lot of damage but can only hit units in front of It.
Something with a moveable or changeable board would also be a big plus

Thank you very much for your time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it sonds like you're looking for a wargame.

but just in case: Android: Netrunner if you're open to something rather unique.

and as far as sci fi militAry wargame
Mechwarrior: Dark Age
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try Neuroshima Hex! or Kingpin.

There's also this brilliant game called Chess you should try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend 1960: the making of the president our war of the rings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis da Ponte Alayza
Peru
Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
backspace8908 wrote:
It doesn't matter how long it takes to play
Sci-fi or military would be cool but not needed
Something like Starcraft would be perfect.
By that I mean many different units with different abilities and skills but none being overly powerful such as a sniper that can shoot far but has low health or a tank that can take a lot of damage but can only hit units in front of It.
Something with a moveable or changeable board would also be a big plus

Memoir '44 comes to my mind...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops

Claustrophobia

Mage Wars Arena

POWER

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you're totally new to boardgames, there are indeed a bunch you can play

StarCraft: The Board Game... how about that? And, omg omg omg, StarCraft: The Board Game – Brood War Expansion! These may be hard to find though

There is the top rated game here, called Twilight Struggle, which is a two player card driven game about the US and USSR and them struggling to achieve dominance over the decades from WW2 to the end of the 80s.

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is a fantastic civilization game, like the PC game. There's also a licensed boardgame version called Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game which, imo, is not as good as Through the Ages but is still a very good game. Even better with the expansion Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game – Fame and Fortune.

Earth Reborn is an epic post-apocalyptic game where two factions meet... and realize they cannot live together. Huge commitment but with a committed buddy and ample time, this may be the game for you

Claustrophobia is another good suggestion. It's a dungeon crawler where one player is the humans and the other is the demons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
There is the top rated game here, called Twilight Struggle, which is a two player card driven game about the US and USSR and them struggling to achieve dominance over the decades from WW2 to the end of the 80s.

Twilight Struggle is my suggestion. If how complicated the game is has no bearing on your willingness to learn it and play it and just about any theme will work then this is the game to play. If you have knowledge or interest in the cold war then that won't hurt either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Neuroshima Hex and Twilight Imperium was decent suggestions. The later likely more so. I suspect they are rather different in how much effort you must put into them to get playing and the time requirement for playing a game though.

Summoner Wars: Master Set would have a lot of variation and still hopefully balanced.

From the board and differences in units I think Dungeon Twister: Mercenaries and the other expansions work to.

Chaos in the Old World got warish game play with different player powers/styles but hopefully similar abilities to win.

And so on.

Edit: Oh, two player. Not Chaos in the old world then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cullen Faugno
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Empires might be a good fit, if you don't mind a hex and counter game. Lots of strategy and planning options, and plays great with two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't go wrong with Netruner or Mage Wars. Both readily available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for 2p games where you really challenge one another's strategies, I suggest:

Hellas (lots of tough decisions; board definitely changes)
The Battle for Hill 218 (surprising depth in this quick game)
Chess (challenging, different units w/ different abilities, everything you're looking for)
Summoner Wars: Master Set (good, solid, well-received game here on BGG)
Memoir '44

My top recommendation based on your criteria:
Julius Caesar (check out this review, [Roger's Reviews] Alea Iacta Est!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marianne Waage
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Mike is a big fan of Starcraft, and used their strict balance and strategy as inspiration when working Paiko. It's two player abstract strategy, but less scary than chess. I think it'll give you the depth you're asking for. It's free to print and play right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Race for the Galaxy

Probably my favorite game right now.

Mage Knight Board Game

Big, thematic, deck building, puzzly, strategic, role play-y, + scalable difficulty.
You also have the option of coop or PvP.

Both of these also have solitaire options also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity has many of those elements.

Carolus Magnus also seems like a good recommendation for some reason, though I can't place exactly why. Maybe because it's got a changing board, lots of strategy and works well with two... not sci-fi nor military though. Basically it's an abstract.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. K.
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Moe45673"

Claustrophobia is another good suggestion. It's a dungeon crawler where one player is the humans and the other is the demons[/q]

I came to this thread to recommend Claustrophobia! But you forgot to mention that it plays like the third act of a gritty action movie and produces nail-bitingly close finishes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that someone already mentioned Memoir '44. Commands & Colors: Ancients and Commands & Colors: Napoleonics are both excellent choices. I prefer the latter and I think GMT is going to be reprinting it very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever thought about

Eclipse including Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients

2 Player Game works insanly great with RotA Addon. True and rightly hyped. Very well balanced game with a unbelievable plausible design. Great potential to develop different strategies. Many possible ways to win. Different species. Modular Board. Upgradeable shiptypes. Tech to research. etc.

A Game.

greets Hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Vesterberg
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
Star Trek: Fleet Captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.