Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this game out at a regular gaming session and set it up with 2 new players (I've also only played it a few times). After going through the rules explain and giving them some indication of how combat works we got into game play. In the first year I planned very poorly for taxes and was 2 gold short so took the 2 x 3 point penalty. However during the combat I went fairly well with the heroes only conquering one dungeon tile. So far so good.

In the second year my game really fell apart. I ended up 2 gold short of taxes again and took another 2 x 3 point penalty as I desperately needed money for other reasons during the round.

Then things went from bad to worse! Towards the end of the year I had the robot, a goblin and a ghost but no traps (as I'd given it up to pay for the robot), no food and one gold. In the last turn food was critical (as people needed it to pay for the monster upkeep which was the last action of the year) and I needed a trap to be able to pay for the robot. I was third in player order.

The first disaster was that the dummy fourth player chose food as one of his actions. This kicked off a terrible chain reaction. The other two players also chose food as their first action so I ended up with no food. Therefore I wasn't going to be able to pay for the goblin so he nicked off. Then it came to traps. I was third in line here which meant I needed 2 gold to pay for 2 traps. However as I only had 1 gold I couldn't afford any traps. Therefore my robot did a runner as well (as he needs a trap as payment).

Now it came to the second year combat. I had no traps and one ghost as the total sum of my defences! The only saving grace was that I was the nicest Dungeon Lord so had the weakest heroes. I did nothing the first round and allowed the cleric at the front to take 2 fatigue. I did what I could and killed him off with my ghost in the second round but after that I just watched as my completely undefended dungeon was pillaged for a further two rounds. After taking off my 12 point tax and 10 point pillaged dungeon penalties I ended up with -2 points!

If the dummy player hadn't chosen food as an action I would have been last and received food and a coin which would then have meant I could have afforded 2 traps. Then I would have kept the goblin, the robot and one trap and might have actually had a chance during combat! I think next time I will need to plan a lot further ahead and make sure I have enough money for taxes and stuff to pay for my monsters!

The other players did a fair bit better and ended up with about 16 and 8 points. The winner actually managed to use a whole mass of traps and monsters to kill the year 2 Paladin. He had maxed out and was sitting at the top of the evilometer. Clearly it paid off being evil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerbster76 wrote:
I did nothing the first round and allowed the cleric at the front to take 2 fatigue. I did what I could and killed him off with my ghost in the second round but after that I just watched as my completely undefended dungeon was pillaged for a further two rounds.

Hate to nitpick here, but if the cleric was in front of the party, the ghost isn't allowed to hit him.

Still, sounds like a fun run with a bit of everything! Taxes are really really important. So much so that finding a method of payment is the first order of business, sometimes even in front of defending the dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Kerbster76 wrote:
I did nothing the first round and allowed the cleric at the front to take 2 fatigue. I did what I could and killed him off with my ghost in the second round but after that I just watched as my completely undefended dungeon was pillaged for a further two rounds.

Hate to nitpick here, but if the cleric was in front of the party, the ghost isn't allowed to hit him.

Still, sounds like a fun run with a bit of everything! Taxes are really really important. So much so that finding a method of payment is the first order of business, sometimes even in front of defending the dungeon!

Agree with Grant. My first 5-6 games of DL all scored less than 10, until I realized that making your tax payments and meeting the payday needs is more important than defending your dungeon. With that adjustment in mind, my average score went from ~9 to >30.

I also caught the bit about the Ghost attacking the cleric at the head of the party. Ghosts cannot attack the adventurer in front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
Australia
Colonel Light Gardens
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallgrant wrote:
Kerbster76 wrote:

The second year battle was very rushed as the game had gone for three hours and it was quite late. However it looks like my final score should have been -4. Definitely need to focus more on taxes and monster payment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game to forget? These are the funnest and most memorable games - embrace the sometimes-it-goes-horribly-wrongness of DL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.