1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Advantage of buying two core sets instead of one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Koung Nak Baek
South Korea
flag msg tools
Hi! Just registered here few seconds ago.

I started playing board game (or card game to be more exact) a year ago with Magic: the Gathering. and then it turns out that I don't have too much money to make my deck better, so I gave up started to try other games.

I live in Korea, so there is some difficulties in getting some games, but for now, I've played Dominion (with Intrigue, didn't buy other expansions yet but soon I will) and loved it, tried Village and loved it, and now I am about to try LCG.

I feel that most of my games are quite fantasy or middle-age based so I wanted to try something different. So it turns out that Android: Netrunner was the game I am looking for. After I look at some review and threads in sites (especially here since the community here is really active), I notice that a lot of players who played LCG buy 2 Core Set instead of one.

So I just wanna ask, why? Are there any disadvantage when you don't buy two copies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Loscutoff
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
I'd rather lose to a good move, Than win to a bad one...
badge
the abstract manifest.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New User, Asking questions
although I don't play the card games, Welcome to BGG.
Someone will be along soon that does.
Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New User, Asking questions
Welcome to BGG!

Probably this question is better asked in the Android: Netrunner forum. (Move requested.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, welcome to BGG!

I've retitled your post so that users know what you're asking based on the post title, and also moved your post over to the Android: Netrunner specific forums. This should get you the responses you want!

In general, if you have a question or post about a specific game, go to that game page of BGG, and make your post in the forum module of that game page. That way, it is more likely for people with an interest in that game to see your post.

No worries though! I realize BGG is a big place with a lot to learn when you first start out. I hope you enjoy the community and all of the resources you'll find here!

EDIT: And you got an answer pretty much as soon as the thread was moved to the Netrunner forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FirstName LastName
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, you need 3x the Core Set to have 3x of every card.

I am happy with 2x the Core Set though. It leaves me with 2x of a few cards but overall the returns on a 3rd Core Set are too diminishing for casual play IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrTall wrote:
Just to be clear, you need 3x the Core Set to have 3x of every card.

I am happy with 2x the Core Set though. It leaves me with 2x of a few cards but overall the returns on a 3rd Core Set are too diminishing for casual play IMHO.

Sometimes it's worth buying 3 Core Sets and selling your all your extras beyond 3x each card for the cost of 1 core set. This has benefits to both people... the person who has 3x of every card only paid the cost of 2 core sets but likely will not be able to construct more than 1 runner and one corp deck at a time.

The person who bought the left overs get's 3 of every card except the unique cards. If you're going to be playing casually, the left over bundle seems better as you can make more decks at once and it's cheaper to proxy just the unique cards than if you bought 1 normal core set and proxied the 2x cards and 1x cards.

Food for thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Yasutake
United States
Bridgeport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can have up to three copies of each card in your deck.

Certain cards come x3, others x2, and others x1.

In my opinion, the x3 cards are essential cards that lots of different factions would get, or else cards that are essential to a play style. the x2 cards are good, but more specific, and the x1 cards are very situational/expensive.

If you want to make more than one deck, then two copies of the game is a must. We currently have one, and we just make decks before play and then remake decks when we switch sides. Its not as bad as it sounds, making a deck takes five minutes when you are familiar with the game.

If you want more deck building options, then two copies is a must. Getting up to three copies of the more specific 2x cards is useful when making certain deck strategies, as is getting two copies of the 1x cards.

If you don't mind making decks before playing, and don't mind a little restriction on deck building options (its honestly not that much, especially because your opponent will be constrained by the same limitations), then get one copy.

If you are crazy and want to build very specific decks/make lots of decks (because you have more than 2-4 people who want to play) then buy three copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemranpower wrote:
After I look at some review and threads in sites (especially here since the community here is really active), I notice that a lot of players who played LCG buy 2 Core Set instead of one.
Quick question, have you played the game for yourself yet or just read what others are saying? If it doesn't save you money to get both at once, I suggest just buying one, playing the heck out of it, and then considering whether you need a second box.

In case you have difficulty getting games in Korea, get it from this website. No shipping, and very reasonable prices. Included a couple other games for general interest.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Android-Fantasy-Flight-Games...
www.bookdepository.co.uk/Blood-Bowl-Team-Manager-Card-Game-F...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sizemore
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.NevermoreGames.com
badge
This is NOT a Chihuahua. It is a Sphynx cat. A bald, grouchy Sphynx cat who will bite you if you mistake him for a Chihuahua.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe I remember the numbers correctly: there are 55 2-count cards in the base set. So buying an extra completes 55 sets for you, and leaves you with 55 singletons. Some of these cards are incredibly useful, so being able to have a third in your deck is quite nice. Buying a third set gives you two full 3-card sets of each of these 55, very handy for leaving multiple decks built.

As for singletons: each runner has 2 singleton cards. Each of the Corps has one, except for Jinteki, who have two. That makes 11 cards that you will only have 2 copies of with a second set. Three of those are consoles, of which you may only have one in play at any given time. If you're playing Kate, that second console can be incredibly useful.

If you're just interested in having a full set of every card, that third box will only net you 11 cards. If you aren't planning to have multiple runners or multiple corps built at once, it's probably only going to be worth it if you find someone to buy the rest of the cards. The second set is very handy, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koung Nak Baek
South Korea
flag msg tools
princemousey wrote:
stemranpower wrote:
After I look at some review and threads in sites (especially here since the community here is really active), I notice that a lot of players who played LCG buy 2 Core Set instead of one.
Quick question, have you played the game for yourself yet or just read what others are saying? If it doesn't save you money to get both at once, I suggest just buying one, playing the heck out of it, and then considering whether you need a second box.

In case you have difficulty getting games in Korea, get it from this website. No shipping, and very reasonable prices. Included a couple other games for general interest.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Android-Fantasy-Flight-Games...
www.bookdepository.co.uk/Blood-Bowl-Team-Manager-Card-Game-F...

I have the money to buy 3, but didn't buy the game yet.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I guess I will just buy one and play with it and see if I want to build a deck that need unique cards or not.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
stemranpower wrote:
Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I guess I will just buy one and play with it and see if I want to build a deck that need unique cards or not.....

Some of the uniques are really nice, but if you are tweaking a deck, many of the uniques are something you might only want two of anyway, rather than three. The second core set expands your possibilities a LOT, the third very little. That's why so many own 2.

The benefit of owning two sets over one is tremendous. Not only can you introduce four people to the game at a time (because two core sets lets you build four intro decks) but all those cards that exist in 2's are now available in 4's. You can only have 3 of a kind in a single deck, but just in case you are one of those people that like to store your cards in binders you still have one copy left in the binder, while your deck contains all three-of-a-kind. This way you and others can still peruse your collection without the need to dig through your decks to find those cards that aren't presented in the binder.

There are many other ways to store cards, it's just a nice bonus.

The deck-building benefit to two core sets really is worth considering.
You can build four corporation decks, almost to your hearts content and three runner decks almost to your hearts content. That's a lot of combinations of decks you can pit against each other.
So far I've played the new netrunner almost daily since the day it came out and so far me and my GF have gone through one criminal deck, two different anarch decks, one shaper deck, two Jinteki decks and two Haas Bioroid decks.

Considering how we haven't touched NBN or Weyland or tried to expand very much on the existing decks it means that we could easily get two/three more months worth of 'new' playtime out of two base sets before we feel we've been through it all. So far I reckon we've played about 30 times in the last two months and maybe 60 times in total.
The game still feels different every time we play.
This is the beauty of A;NR: The game does not go stale if you play the same decks against the same opponent the way some other games do. You start playing against your opponent rather than playing against his deck and the game actually evolves like that.

If you can find a single friend interested in giving it a go, buy two sets and have one of you play corp and the other play runner for the first couple of sessions. You can split the card pool between you and meet up and duke it out. Then switch sides after a while to really get familiar with the game.

I guarantee you it will pay off in spades. Money vs entertainment Android: Netrunner is by far the best card game I've come across. In fact it might be the best overall game in my collection.

Welcome aboard. Have fun. Remember to run a lot and don't run on your last click

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three core sets, but I'd recommend two.

Two core sets gives you as many copies of any card as you'll ever really want to play in a deck. Three's only worth it if you A. want playsets of everything, even though you'll probably never run 3x Corporate Troubleshooter, Akitaro Watanabe, Zaibatsu Loyalty, Security Subcontract, SanSan City Grid, Aesop's Pawnshop, Ice Carver, Data Dealer, The Toolbox, Grimoire, or Desperado in a deck or B. want six copies of Melange Mining Corp so you can field two competitive corp decks at once. I fall into both of these categories, so three was right for me, but two's probably right for nearly everybody. If you're on the fence about the game, get one, but you'll probably end up wanting a second one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I would try the game first, enjoy it for a while and then, if you need it, buy a second base game. Once the hype wears down and the cult of the new moves you will find copies of the game for cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
I would try the game first, enjoy it for a while and then, if you need it, buy a second base game. Once the hype wears down and the cult of the new moves you will find copies of the game for cheap.

Netrunner is a 16 year old game. As a ceremonial-dagger-carrying member of the Cult of the New, our cutoff is a lot more recent than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
brisingre wrote:
even though you'll probably never run 3x Corporate Troubleshooter,

Yes, Yes I would

Corporate Troubleshooter as a runner walks into Heimdall or Archer is epic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu B.
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to bgg!

2 core sets are useful if you want to build 2 decks of corpo and/or 2 decks of runner because you will need some of the neutral cards in both decks of each type.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Harris
United Kingdom
stevenage
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only got the one set and not planning to buy second (I'm not hardcore competitive or tournament type really).

Would I be right in assuming that as more expansions come out the advantages of having multiple copies of some cards will lessen anyway, as there will be bigger overall selection of cards and new alternatives to fill up deck with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talamare wrote:
brisingre wrote:
even though you'll probably never run 3x Corporate Troubleshooter,

Yes, Yes I would

Corporate Troubleshooter as a runner walks into Heimdall or Archer is epic

Oh, I agree. Corporate Troubleshooter is great. But they're extremely cash-greedy, they require quite a bit of setup, they're most valuable as a surprise after the runner has built their rig, you don't usually want one in your opening hand, and you don't usually want two of them at once. All of which to me says that running three is suboptimal, and running two is better. Digging around for successful decklists, Malefact's winning list from the OCTGN tournament ran two copies, while OrangeDevil's ran zero.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/886597/my-octgn-tourney-1st-...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/886479/my-bgg-octgn-tourname...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:

I dunno if you'll ever do better than 20 bucks from Amazon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just took advantage of the Amazon deal... Really debating on whether or not I should just buy another copy right now since it's cheap. I've just not even played it yet and don't even know if I'll like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@mark yes, datapacks will make the extra core sets less needed, especially for any casual players just looking for variety. that said, sometimes that 3rd Grimoire/Akitaro/etc will be the BEST card for the specific deck you are building.

if you aren't a serious optimizer, definitely no extra cores needed. i think the 2nd core adds a lot of good useful cards for building with, and many 2ofs are things you DEFINITELY want 3 of (like scorched earth in a combo deck etc). that 3rd core set only offers 11 cards (taking the final 2ofs to 3ofs) so is much less valuable.

that said, i just picked up my 3rd set since it was so cheap on Amazon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
brisingre wrote:
I dunno if you'll ever do better than 20 bucks from Amazon...

Now, I agree with that. I didn't know about that deal when I made my post!

But I suspect many copies will linger around unplayed once they move out to play something else. Kind of shameful if you ask me, but it will happen. People just don't burn their games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave D
msg tools
y-bot wrote:
If you want to make more than one deck, then two copies of the game is a must. We currently have one, and we just make decks before play and then remake decks when we switch sides. Its not as bad as it sounds, making a deck takes five minutes when you are familiar with the game.

Just to clarify, do you mean more than one runner or corp deck? Are there any cards that corps and runners share?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu B.
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurahoshi wrote:
y-bot wrote:

Just to clarify, do you mean more than one runner or corp deck? Are there any cards that corps and runners share?

Runner and Corp don't share cards, but, for example, if you want to make 2 Corp deck you need 2 set of the neutral Agendas cards because you must have does Agendas in your deck for them to be by the rules. With a couple of Data pack out it will become more possible to make Corp deck that doesn't share the neutral agenda.

For the runners, they are some neutral cards that you will want to have in each of your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it looks it's no longer cheap at Amazon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.