Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

so i am looking for some co-op/semi coop games to play with my wife as well as my gamegroup

i dont have many on my radar, but just picked up Legendary. My wife is nerdy but also likes euros.

i may pick up 1-3 games so GG for those who recommend me games that i choose!

Get it On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:
My wife is nerdy but also likes euros.

Based on that, I'd go with Star Trek: Expeditions, Witch of Salem and Defenders of the Realm. Oh!, I almost forgot good old Lord of the Rings from Knizia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Much smaller, but you could also try Hanabi.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Much smaller, but you could also try Hanabi.

I support the Flash Point: Fire Rescue vote as it is the coop getting the most play around my house. Of course, that is largely with non-gamers and looking at your ratings it may not fit what you are looking for. I'll say that Hanabi is probably the most unique and interesting coop that I've played. It's themeless and fascinating how you attempt to communicate with your team. I'm still not sure how much lasting power it has, but it is fascinating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anythoughts on zombiecide? is it worth the huge price tag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Low
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Always enjoy a nutty, cooperative, dungeon exploration romp in Dungeon Fighter!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Ghost Stories is great, if you don't mind losing most of the time. It's a hit puzzly and takes both good fortune and good play to best. It doesa great job of making you feel helpless which makes the occasional win that much more satisfying with cheering and high fives all the way around the table. Combine that with the great art we've come to love from all of Antoine Bauza's offerings, variable player powers, and the fact that 2 players controlling 2 characters each isn't any harder than a full 4 player game.

Oh, it's also got a much quicer set up/take down time than say...

Arkham Horror which is another one that you probably won't win, but if your anything like me will have enjoyed every minute of. A very thematic game set in H.P. Lovecraft's fictional town of Arkham, Mahusetts that does a wonderful job of cultivating the sense of impending doom which pervades the Cthulu Mythos. This game relies on a ton of cards from a bunch of decks to further the story, spawn monsters, get items, etc. The sheer number of cards means no twk games will ever be the same, and that's just the base game. Another plus to this game is that it does such a good job of drawing you into the story with approachable and intuitive mechanics that non-gamers canddig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your ratings . . .

Letters from Whitechapel - semi-coop deduction game, atmospheric, nerdy, sounds like it might be right up your alley

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - LCG coop you can also play solo, scales great, deserves its buzz, theme integrated really well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Olivier
Canada
Abbotsford
bc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJL_WashDC wrote:
Letters from Whitechapel - semi-coop deduction game, atmospheric, nerdy, sounds like it might be right up your alley

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game - LCG coop you can also play solo, scales great, deserves its buzz, theme integrated really well

doesletters to white chaple play 2 p well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Space Alert! What's more fun than a co-op where you're all the crew on a spacecraft and attempting to keep the ship from falling apart while threats keep appearing and you guys try to stick it out as best as you can?? And it's played in real time, the timer is a thematic CD with sound effects, robot voices, etc! Escape: The Curse of the Temple looks to be similar only lighter and more casual friendly

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is an excellent game, if your group is amenable to it. Mine wasn't, weirdly, but I thought it was awesome. For some reason, the whole co-op thing never clicked with my group, they were all just "what's the point?" It's a fairly straightforward co-op but if the thought of being heroic firefighters appeals to you, this game delivers

I don't know anything about zombicide, but you can't go wrong with the tried and true Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. I'm also intrigued by City of Horror, where it's a co-op only there are times you have to sacrifice fellow players as bait so the rest of the group can escape... very thematically relevant.

Finally, 1812: The Invasion of Canada or the upcoming 1775: Rebellion aren't co-op but team based wargames with very simple rules yet satisfying gameplay. Two sides, up to 5 players in 1812, 4 in 1775.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:
JJL_WashDC wrote:

doesletters to white chaple play 2 p well?

I think so. You definitely get the feeling you're pitting your wits against each other. It's more fun with more players with the right group, but I enjoy it two-player.

Main issue is availability - it's OOP and I haven't heard how close the reprint is to reality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Miller
United States
Brunswick
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JesseOlivier wrote:

I love Zombicide. I have the retail version and have almost as many plays solo as co-op. I like the fact that there are new scenarios coming out all the time from CMON and here on BGG. It keeps the game fresh and interesting. Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion would have to be Pandemic. It may not be the "best" co-op (a lot of people complain because it can easily be taken over by one player), but it certainly is fun. It pulls players in and keeps a grip on you as hope continues to fade for all of mankind! I suggest this one because my wife absolutely loved it! She will suggest that one when we play games with just us two and with our friends. And with its expansion, Pandemic: On the Brink, you will never run out of replay value.

My other suggestion is Space Alert. This is seriously some high-tension board gaming that requires a mass amount of teamwork. If you or your wife do not like high-stress situations, do not get this game. But, on the flip-side, it is so much fun! It comes with 2 CDs filled with real-time missions to complete. It plays best with a regular group of people because they slowly add more mechanics as you progress further into the game. Very fun, highly recommend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War (for a true to video game experience and great teamwork)

Flash Point +1 (for approachable family fun)

Defenders of the Realm +1 (for a deeply thematic and epic version of pandemic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
JesseOlivier wrote:
My wife is nerdy but also likes euros.

Based on that, I'd go with Star Trek: Expeditions, Witch of Salem and Defenders of the Realm. Oh!, I almost forgot good old Lord of the Rings from Knizia.

Based on that I'd go with Cutthroat Caverns. It's a good back-stabby semi-coop that I really enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did everyone or anyone like Shadows over Camelot?

Also, for a man with 600+ games, it's hard to recommend anything.. you should be telling us what's good, having tried most things at least once
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattmill wrote:
JesseOlivier wrote:

I love Zombicide. I have the retail version and have almost as many plays solo as co-op. I like the fact that there are new scenarios coming out all the time from CMON and here on BGG. It keeps the game fresh and interesting. Go for it!

I got in on the Zombicide Kickstarter, so my set actually cost more than retail (but I did net one or two extras for that money), and I don't regret the expenditure one bit.

I've played the game over 20 times already, several times solo, and I've yet to even start on the additional downloadable scenarios, though I have played two missions of the Campaign (one mission each with two separate groups (and should be playing a 2nd mission with the most recent group on Wednesday)), and am starting to create my own custom scenarios.

There are also numerous people generating new weapons, and characters all the time.

So, in short, the game gets bigger and bigger on an almost daily basis, and the total potential play time now has to be in, or fast approaching, the 100s of hours even if you only play each of the available scenarios once.

So I echo Matt's sentiment - Go for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics

Thematic co-op dungeon crawl type of game but on the lighter side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D.M. Jones
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
...before I forget.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Descent
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/104162/descent-journeys-i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Why has no one recommended Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island yet? I predict this one will hit the top 10 thematic games once it gets a US release early in 2013. Probably the best co-op game ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Greig
Australia
Kelso
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
given you have a couple of deckbuilders in your collection you might find Shadowrift worth a shot

Its a co-op deckbuilder which has you trying to protect a village, you don't get the kind of engines you do in something like dominion but it has a nice feel to it and good theme and plays nicely with 2 (or more)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Why has no one recommended Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island yet? I predict this one will hit the top 10 thematic games once it gets a US release early in 2013. Probably the best co-op game ever made.

Likely because it is so new and not in the US yet. I forget about it as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brandon neadles
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Archipelago just came out and it's a fantastic semi co-op.

Don't let the naysayers convince you there is a major issue with the rule book. It's not any worse than most euros and nothing not already sorted out on it's forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty sweet, ultra-compact brain burning co-op is Onirim

It also plays solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor if you like generic fantasy. Great artwork and components, strong emphasis on plot, offers quite some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.