Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the rules don't allow it, but does anyone play with mixed forces? Has anybody tried this?

Is there any precidence for this in cannon? Wouldn't the rebels have stolen every piece of machinery they could get their hands on? A couple of Xwings with some cheap tie fire power?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are some cases where the rebels have stolen TIEs and those TIEs were marked with big huge you red rebels logos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is it expressly forbidden by the rules? I don't think there's any mechanical reason why you can't have Rebel and Imperial ships flying under one player's control. There could be scenario reasons and one arbitrary rule, but otherwise, there is nothing that will hold up the game because it can't happen.

Moreover Y-Wings tend to be used by pirates and planetary governments. If you want a privateer fighter for a scenario, use Y-Wings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirates, Rogues and "neutral" factions have access to some similar equipment. The YT-1300 and the Z-95 Headhunter for example are widely used by neutral factions; the Y-Wing has seen use by these factions as well. The same goes for some Imperial equipment such as the shuttle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the official rules go, it says to pick a faction - players agree on which faction to control. "One player controls rebels..."
It goes on to say, "All components belonging to a players own faction are considered friendly..." That would mean if you were "rebels" and had a tie on your side, your opponent could not shoot at it, because it would be imperial faction and friendly to them.

But I was more interested to see if anyone had tried flying a mixed force, regardless of what the rules say. Rebels love to break rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd love to see/try mercenary, merchant marine, pirate, and/or planetary defence force rules with Y-wings and YT-1300's, etc...

It would add variety and could be done as a card expansion (maybe POD? like SH: DA) since the ships would already be out there.

Not sure their license would allow this, though.

I'm certainly thinking of it for scenarios after the Falcon comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely you can interpret "player's own faction" as "player's own built-up squadron." If there aren't any mechanics resting on the distinction between Rebels and Imperials then if both players want to try it, I say go for it. After all there are scenario setups that break the standard template anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thomasrwp wrote:
I know the rules don't allow it, but does anyone play with mixed forces? Has anybody tried this?

Is there any precidence for this in cannon? Wouldn't the rebels have stolen every piece of machinery they could get their hands on? A couple of Xwings with some cheap tie fire power?

It's whatever you and your friends can agree on to do at your table. Or, just develop a scenario where each side can draw on all the available craft from the collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Petersen
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
thomasrwp wrote:

It's whatever you and your friends can agree on to do at your table. Or, just develop a scenario where each side can draw on all the available craft from the collection.

I totally agree - but has anyone done this? I haven't had a chance to try this out yet, and I was wondering what other people's mixed forces looked like and how they played them. I was thinking some fast moving ties with much slower Y's - stop the movement and then scoop around behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Newton
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Luke and Howlrunner vs Wedge and Nightbeast once. It played just like any other quick game. If you and your friends want to try it, I see no reason why not to. Just be aware, there are a lot more abilities to choose from and this might lead to stronger combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.