Subject: Finnish Trilogy 1939-1945 - War in Finland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a WWII fan, an Europa fan and/or War in Finland fan, please consider preordering well researched game Winter War 1939-1940: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/32477/the-finnish-trilogy....

The research, graphics and testing are done: games are ready for print. The author needs 450 preorders to start printing.

I have no financial interest but I'm an WWII operational wargames fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested, but it seems like there's a huge part of the map that will never see any play - certainly most of the Winter War would fit in a tiny segment of this:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
I'm interested, but it seems like there's a huge part of the map that will never see any play - certainly most of the Winter War would fit in a tiny segment of this

See the website: "The mapboard will be 100 cm x 140 cm (39” x 55”) in two pieces."

The designer can probably tell us if he designed scenarios to be played on the south map only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but was there any significant fighting in the north half of the map in WWII? (It's a serious question, as I have very little knowledge of this theatre.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aber
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Yes, but was there any significant fighting in the north half of the map in WWII? (It's a serious question, as I have very little knowledge of this theatre.)

There was fighting in the Petsamo province in the extreme north of the country (a.k.a. The Battle of Petsamo) although the bulk of the troops and conflict were around Lake Ladoga in the south. I think the Soviets had one army with three divisions in Petsamo.

Additionally, there were other points of conflict all along the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
zuludawn wrote:
I'm interested, but it seems like there's a huge part of the map that will never see any play - certainly most of the Winter War would fit in a tiny segment of this:

What a beautiful map!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested too, but at the current exchange rate the cost for US customers is well over $250. (Let's be real, most of us who'd be interested in a huge WWII game like this are going to want the whole thing! )

IMO the best way to drum up support would be to partner with a US distributor and find a way to open up US preorders at a more reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Vilnes
Norway
TØNBERG
flag msg tools
zuludawn wrote:

Yes it was, especially at the southern part of the northern half of the theater. The soviets tried to divide the country in two by advancing to the sea in the middle among other things. At these other fronts, the soviets were not successfull at all, so it was the war in the south that finally determined the winner of the war. One example can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salla_(1939)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aber
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
SteViln wrote:
zuludawn wrote:

Yes it was, especially at the southern part of the northern half of the theater. The soviets tried to divide the country in two by advancing to the sea in the middle among other things. At these other fronts, the soviets were not successfull at all, so it was the war in the south that finally determined the winner of the war. One example can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salla_(1939)

I think it is a little hard to remember where all the fighting was (on an operational or strategic level) mainly because the Soviets were so unsuccessful that it doesn't even register on a map at that scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aber
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
I'm interested too, but at the current exchange rate the cost for US customers is well over $250. (Let's be real, most of us who'd be interested in a huge WWII game like this are going to want the whole thing! )

IMO the best way to drum up support would be to partner with a US distributor and find a way to open up US preorders at a more reasonable price.

I dropped the money for it ($265 for the whole set, shipped -- although the weakening dollar probably would push that to around $280 now); I have a friend who is Finnish, and this game will definitely be played -- so from that standpoint, it is a purchase well worth making.

It would be nicer if there were a U.S. distributor involved, then again I'm also used to P500'ing things direct from the publishers, so this isn't such a big deal. Probably the total cost will be a bit of a drawback, along with the risk of miku not being a mainstream publisher...I though about those, fortunately for me I'm at a point in my life where if I lose a couple of hundred dollars...well...life goes on. For others, that risk might be just a bit much.

Edit: The markets seem to be pricing in a decline in the Euro/Dollar conversion rate over the next month, so you may want to watch that and see if the exchange rate becomes more favorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:

I think it would be a great idea for an American and an European company to team up and they could print each others games, thus avoiding all those huge shipping costs for each and increasing their abilities to sell in each region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEPH BORNSTEIN
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5,000 plus counters, four maps, several rulebooks, boxes, set up charts, etc - I'd say the price is pretty standard for a game this size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the word "standard" applies at all when discussing a game this size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOSEPH BORNSTEIN
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does - compare it with what Diffraction Entertainment is charging for that Blitz game, the price tag on Total Wait, or any of the DG biggies, and it's certainly in the range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you put it that way, I guess this'll be quite a bargain if it actually exists and doesn't suck!

(No comment on the Diffraction game, which I'd never heard of until just now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was going to pre-order this but I found out that the money would be charged the second I pre-ordered. (instead of once it is actually at the printers the way most companies do pre-orders).

For me, that's a no-go.

Right now I'm waiting to see if it gets printed and order then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm interested too, but at the current exchange rate the cost for US customers is well over $250

spare a thought for all of us non US customers who've spent a life in the hobby constantly importing games at least 80% or so of the games released are on your doorstep (GMT/MMP/Decision/COH/etc)

also this guy seems to have poured a staggering amount of effort into this game, i almost want it because it seems rude not to! but i'm not sure it would see much play (then again I'm sure i could apply that rule to many a game i own! I seem to be planning for a wargaming retirement!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:
I was going to pre-order this but I found out that the money would be charged the second I pre-ordered. (instead of once it is actually at the printers the way most companies do pre-orders).

For me, that's a no-go.

Actually this has been on pre-order for a long time already. This is the charge now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy English
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hegel wrote:
Tut_613 wrote:

For me, that's a no-go.

Actually this has been on pre-order for a long time already. This is the charge now.

Hi Hegel,

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused.
If I go to their website it says:
December 3rd, 2012
Pre-orders needed: 450.
Pre-orders received: 245.

From my interpretation this means it is quite some time from when it will be printed. (and maybe never?) So, I don't want to take that kind of financial risk on this level of uncertainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aber
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:
Hegel wrote:
Tut_613 wrote:

For me, that's a no-go.

Hi Hegel,

December 3rd, 2012

From my interpretation this means it is quite some time from when it will be printed. (and maybe never?) So, I don't want to take that kind of financial risk on this level of uncertainty.

At least in theory, if I understand correctly, 450 people already committed to order once the ordering went "live". There was no method to pre-store payment information, so it is a kind of wait and see if the people who committed stay committed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StuDecay wrote:
Quote:
I'm interested too, but at the current exchange rate the cost for US customers is well over $250

spare a thought for all of us non US customers who've spent a life in the hobby constantly importing games at least 80% or so of the games released are on your doorstep (GMT/MMP/Decision/COH/etc)

also this guy seems to have poured a staggering amount of effort into this game, i almost want it because it seems rude not to! but i'm not sure it would see much play (then again I'm sure i could apply that rule to many a game i own! I seem to be planning for a wargaming retirement!!)

We feel your pain!

Honestly, my intent was not simply to complain but to brainstorm ways of getting more preorders to get the thing printed. This game looks like a real labor of love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuukka
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

Basically you could play on the lower third of the map ( South of Lieksa or
Ilomantsi) without missing much. There are some famous battles north of those places though, like battle of Suomussalmi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Suomussalmi) and Raate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road).

If you look at the map and the road network it's quite clear that no major action is very likely on the northern half of the map. Finnish Group Lapland, which is defending almost half of the map was composed of three independent battalions and an independent company, so it might be a good idea to have a scenario using only the lower half of the map to save some space.

I'm thinking that the other two games of the trilogy are going to be more interesting as games than the Winter war. In the Continuation war both sides are going on offensive, Finns in 1941 and Soviets in 1944.

Lapland war is also interesting as the Soviets pressured, after armistice, Finns to fight proper to drive the Germans out of Finland and the Germans are trying to retreat to Norway as intact as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stuart glanvville
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DJ Kuul A wrote:
StuDecay wrote:
Quote:

We feel your pain!

Honestly, my intent was not simply to complain but to brainstorm ways of getting more preorders to get the thing printed. This game looks like a real labor of love.

hehe no worries, was just saying that every now and then perhaps it's just time to splash out - it does looks amazing.. i'm teetering back n forth like yourself about whether to buy or not!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tut_613 wrote:
Hegel wrote:

Hi Hegel,

December 3rd, 2012

The games have been for pre-order for several years already. However, Mikugames didn't have the means to collect credit card data or anything alike. So when the charge came, the 500 pre-orders collected over time only resulted into 200 pre-orders actually paid.

Eventually there will be enough orders, it will just take some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.