Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what's listed at the top of the page. I'm interested, but my son and I never have 6 hours straight to game these days. Can someone clarify how long this takes? If it really is this long, can you tell me the game we need to get like this but only 1-3 hours?

Thanks in advance, I'm a grad student who has to study options for a while before parting with my money. All help appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It it is really that long if not more so. I'd take a look at Moral Conflict 1940 (41 is too long) for something closer to your time frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this one a number of times and it definitely takes every bit of 6 hours. Look for Axis & Allies 1941 instead - same basic game engine, much cheaper price tag, supposed to take 2 hours, tops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've managed to finish a few in 6 hours, don't think ever less than that.

Some a few hours longer.

Enjoyed every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
360 minutes is most definitely the minimum for two, more or less, equal opponents. I've never completed a game of AA50 in less than 6 hours. The games that lasted less than 6 hours were the games in which one of the players surrendered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I've played this one a number of times and it definitely takes every bit of 6 hours. Look for Axis & Allies 1941 instead - same basic game engine, much cheaper price tag, supposed to take 2 hours, tops.

Excellent, I added this to my wishlist

EDIT: And thanks to everyone for the informative replies. I think I'll get this down the road, but right now I see from your helpful replies that it's just not a practical game for us right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Political Hack
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually think you can get to a resolution point in much less than 6 hrs, but played to the absolute end? sure. Last 2 times I've played this at 2 player we finished in less than 6, but that's because when it got to the point where both players we agree one player would inevitably win, we ended the game.

That usually the way my A&A games go now. We don't necessarily play all the way to the actual VC, because usually it becomes clear who will get there far earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmlease1 wrote:
I actually think you can get to a resolution point in much less than 6 hrs, but played to the absolute end? sure. Last 2 times I've played this at 2 player we finished in less than 6, but that's because when it got to the point where both players we agree one player would inevitably win, we ended the game.

That usually the way my A&A games go now. We don't necessarily play all the way to the actual VC, because usually it becomes clear who will get there far earlier.

Thanks, that's extremely informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stennett
United States
Newport Beach
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Mike,

Axis and Allies always takes a long time to play as each player takes his turn most of the other players are watching and waiting.

The complexity of Axis and Allies means that under 5 or 6 hours it is impossible to play to a decisive point.

I would highly recommend the Moral Conflict team strategy games which are also set in WWII. These games are not played in turns but multiple players play together in alliances. More than one battle is going on as well and much diplomacy and negotiation so that the game flows very fast. Nobody has time to eat pizza as there is something going on for everybody.

The game is a unique 5 dimensional representation with Diplomacy, the Economic Crisis and the Technology race. Each dimension offers potential for a sudden decisive victory. The Soviet Union's change of alliance (diplomacy), limited oil supplies (economic crisis) or the increased firepower won during the technology race. The moral conflict of good and evil adds an amazing but realistic twist to each of the other dimensions.

You can win by making juicy decisions in all 5 dimensions.

The bottom line is not only more fun, but faster moving. Moral Conflict 1939 can be played in 2 to 3 hours depending on the victory conditions set and the number of dimensions played. Take a look at the geek page for this game.

Let me know how your game went?

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.