Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a request for an additional product from FFG, so I sent them an email letting them know what I wish they'd come out with.

Quote:
This is an inquiry about the Twilight Imperium 3e board game but it isn't a rules question. This has been one of my favorite games since 2e and I love to run this game. However, when I break out the gigantic box and start describing it, in glowing terms, all but the most hardcore gamers get intimidated. What I really wish I could do is first beak out a much simpler and smaller TI3e Light. Something like a 2-4 payer game, with only a few unit types and a greatly simplified tech tree. Each race would only have a single differentiating characteristic.

So the purpose would be to play a quick game, have everyone get the feel of role selection, get a feel for the turn order, and get the hang of managing a simplified race card with the three stockpiles. This could be made out of the components of the base game with just an additional, alternate rules set, but I've purchased the base and both expansions and I'd be willing to buy this as a whole separate product. This could even be done cheaply as just a set of cards. Two identical sets of cards for the (probably 19) systems, with one set laid out to make a simple board. Maybe a card for each of the three stockpiles, and counters for units.

But I don't think they really read my email. I was voicing my willingness to pay for a new product, but the response I got is that they're not looking to change the core mechanics of the game at this time. Well I'd still like a simplified teaching version and it just came to me that I should use my copy of 2e that's gathering dust to create a teaching version for 3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really blame them, honestly. While TI3 is quite a beast, it's their flagship game - probably the only coffin box style game they will continue to sell for awhile (and maybe the last of that class).

I do think one thing about TI3, though, is that while a solid game in and of itself, with some cleverness it can be tweaked into a "TI3 Lite" with the components as-is. FFG themselves likely wouldn't do it as they have other things on their plate, but it would potentially be a good fan-based endeavor.

With the Arilou Lalee'lay on your side, you can't go wrong, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Pulles
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Twilight Imperium 3e Lite? Maybe Exodus Proxima Centauri is the game what you want to play. This is a new game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122842/exodus-proxima...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tretiak wrote:
zodiak wrote:
A Twilight Imperium 3e Lite? Maybe Exodus Proxima Centauri is the game what you want to play. This is a new game.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/122842/exodus-proxima...

Or Galactic Emperor

no, he doesn't. Me neither. They might be perfectly fine games, but playing them won't help someone get to know TI3. (Any game with spaceships will get played around here, sooner or later, don't you worry.)
I agree that a learning game out of the base game box is possible, even easy. Just don't show them all the bits and cards beforehand.
Play 3 or 4 player, small preconstructed galaxy as suggested here. Just exchange the refinery and wormholes for good systems.
Play with Age of Empire (precog goals) and without Distant Suns(planet markers). Leave out some races (Passaril, Naalu).
The tech tree might be reduced to techs leading to the War Sun, sort out any politics and action cards that are too harsh or complicated or just the ones you dislike. Give everyone 3 trade goods as pocket money and tell them it's for bribery, then push them out into SPACE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seren of Moon
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
I personally think FFG's best chance of breaking TI3 into a more general market is an electronic version of the game.

A recent LA times article indicated that iOS/PC/Droid games can reach a broader market and then drive that market to purchase the original board game for the face-to-face experience we all enjoy.

See here for the article:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-c...

With FFG starting into the iOS market for games like Elder Signs, I know they have a development team. My hope is that they get that team cracking on their flagship game. Of course, I'm biased. blush

With an electronic version, a great deal of the "stuff you need to remember" can be reduced and new players can follow a tutorial to get ramped-up.

Even with those "shortcuts", I still think TI3 would only attract hardcore gamers who can appreciate a solid, turn-based experience. Done well, that could attract old- and new-school fans alike. Those hungry for eye candy or real-time clickfests would never play the boardgame or the electronic version anyway.

There's a certain concentration & patience level required in TI3 players. Any whittling-down to cater to the attention-deficit aspects of our culture would be less filling and probably not taste too great to the rabid global fan base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nodens wrote:
no, he doesn't. Me neither. They might be perfectly fine games, but playing them won't help someone get to know TI3. (Any game with spaceships will get played around here, sooner or later, don't you worry.)

That's exactly correct. Maybe I should have been more clear and said I wanted a teaching version. But what I want to play is TI3e, the full thing, and not simplified at all. I just would like a way to ease new players into it. I can definitely run a simpler game of TI3e for that purpose, but I'd like to go a step further. I'd like to play maybe four rounds of a game stripped down to just learning the basic mechanics and turn order and yet give a new player enough experience to then jump into a full game of TI3e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Griffith
United States
Ozark
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think an IOS/Android version would work well on tablets and maybe larger screened phones. It would need way to save games in progress though, at least after every round. It would be even more awesome if they included all the expansions and options with some kind of checklist before starting the game. An electronic version similar to TripleA would also be pretty sweet, but somehow I just don't see it happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing around with the pieces and the idea of a "mechanics only" TI3e Lite and I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I don't need to use separate pieces like TI2e at all. It's starting to look like -- if I tell everyone to ignore the racial differences, use a pre-set board, and play the first round without role selection or roles (just system activation), then play a second round with the role selection added in, I think then I can see if everyone grasps the basics and we can start a real game from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also come to the realization that Nexus Ops is almost a Twilight Imperium 3e Lite. It already shares a number of features with TI3e. If you were to add in role selection and command points the relationship would be unmistakable. In fact I'm somewhat surprised that FFG didn't translate it into the TI universe when they reprinted the game. All it needs is a role selection/command points expansion for it to essentially be TI3e Lite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I agree with that. I have Nexus Ops, and it's fun, but it doesn't strike me as anything close to TI3, other than superficially like "it has hexes", "there are battles", and "spacey theme".

None of the mechanics are really anywhere close. A TI3-lite, in my opinion, would be one with similar mechanics with some simplifications. Nexus Ops doesn't have that - the movement system is completely different, the building procedure is completely different, the battle sequence is completely different, the abilities work completely different, the cards are completely different, and even the goals are completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not saying Nexus Ops is TI3 Lite, I'm saying it's got features that are relatable. In fact, Nexus Ops isn't that much farther removed from TI3 than TI2 is from TI3. They both have an Axis&Allies derived combat system with Distant Suns type exploration. They both make use of the victory card goal system. Nexus Ops just has the roles (and the features they entail) and the command point system stripped out of it to be a rethemed TI3. Just imagine it rethemed as a hex map of space instead of a moon, and with starships instead of creatures and there you've got TI super lite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find those similarities very superficial. If you had a TI3 theme on it, all it would be is "another game with a TI3 theme".

I personally find TI2 MUCH closer to TI3 than Nexus Ops... and TI2 is only vaguely similar.

Nexus Ops is a fine game, but I just don't find the games similar enough to be comparable like that. If the goal is to find a game this is like TI3, but simpler, for use as a stepping stone towards full-blown TI3, I just don't personally feel Nexus Ops fits that bill (even if it was rethemed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only dream of ever getting TI on the table with my as-yet complexoty-averse gaming group. If there was a variant that could guarantee a full game (minus setup and takedown, I can do those before snd after myself) in 4 hrs, i'd jump for joy).

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.