Subject: Team game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Araneya Olausson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a game with cooperation and teamwork. Not like Pandemic or Arkham Horror where you play against the game, but perhaps something where you team up with another player to beat the rest. Maybe there is a shared victory. Anyone know a game like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently came across Goblins, Inc. (due to the competition), and employs the use of playing teams of 2 vs 2, which you switch each round.

A lot of classic card games use team set-ups too.

In Diplomacy and A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), you use a 'kind' of teamwork, until you can defeat them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There aren't enough good 2v2 games out there that aren't card games. However Last Night on Earth and its expansions might do the trick. If you're okay with a Zombie theme and asymmetrical gameplay.

Don't forget about Cosmic Encounter. "Teams" change constantly since its kinda diplomacy based.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had the patience to learn the finer points of it, but Mü & More is said to be a very interesting card game with changing partnerships.

Also Meuterer is pretty well regarded IF you can get 4 players.

If you get into the larger player numbers (5+) The Resistance and The Castle of the Devil become interesting options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
König von Siam (which is a great game) is played 2v2 when you have four players.

Also, I've heard that RoboRally is at its best when played as two teams with a capture-the-flag objective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run

Taken from its listing...

Dash through a dungeon packed with monsters and traps. Each player controls a hero. Players can work together to overcome the perils of the dungeon, or they can betray and sabotage each other as they see fit. Because in the final room of the dungeon lurks a powerful boss with the ultimate treasure - a treasure that turns its owner into the most powerful warrior they can become! Slay the boss, steal the treasure, and then run for your life as your friends try to cut you down. In Dungeon Run only one hero can escape with the fabled Summoning Stone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game. Not only are there teams, hut figuring out who in on the human's team is key to the game. It is pure win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    There are very few true team-based games where the teams are clearly specified and you specifically work in concert. A couple that are available where teams are built into the DNA of the rules:

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame
       Memoir '44: Operation Overlord
       Napoleon's Triumph
       Duel of Ages
       Bridge (and its cousin Double-Deck Pinochle)

Games where clearly-defined teams are easy to implement:

Wings of War/Wings of Glory
       Wooden Ships & Iron Men

Games where there are specific options for team play though not part of the original intent

Nexus Ops with exactly four players using the team-play option
       StarCraft: The Board Game using the team-play option
       Rush n' Crush agreeing on a team-play which is facilitated by three different colors of cars, two of each color.

I wrote an article on this here -- http://fortressat.com/analysis-toc/1976-team-play back in 2010 and one of the conclusions I'm coming to is that there's some sort of allergy to true team games. Cooperatives seem to just go on and on in spite of less than gripping emotions while team games seem to trickle out here and there with little fanfare. Maybe it's just not the nature of the hobby. In the responses to that article you will see people offering up other team titles, so it may be worth the trip just to harvest that material.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have to laugh at the difficulty some of these precious souls* have with this question.

Look no further than 1812: The Invasion of Canada. It's a true team game with two sides that plays up to 5. Simple rules, deep gameplay, Lotta fun

Another game that works is Innovation. With 4 players there's a recommended team variant in the rulebook.

But 1812 and it's upcoming sister game, 1775: Rebellion, are properly team games that are easy to break out with almost anyone

*I don't mean this to be condescending. I love this community
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4-player War of the Ring (Second Edition) or Strike of the Eagle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia allows for two or three two-player teams competing against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders: Cities has rules for teams of 2 players each (up to 4 teams, thus up to 8 players can play). I think it is a good mechanic and I hope to try it one day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Araneya Olausson
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
team game
Thanks all! A lot of good suggestions I will have to check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Has no one mentioned Axis & Allies? It was never my favorite game but you'll get some very fun team stories. We've played it where at the beginning of the turn each team gets to "huddle" only for a set amount of time to plan their turns. Then once they start moving pieces they can't talk strategy any more.

This keeps the game somewhat from devolving into one player on a team "taking over" and making the decisions for an entire team. Of course if your friends are not good natured then things can turn ugly pretty quick with arguments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another that hasn't been mentioned: Abaddon has very good rules for team play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if a 4x Space Game is Ok i´ll suggest

Eclipse with Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients addon.

Option to play with Alliances is given with the addon. Players may decide to join their efforts and found an Alliance. Allies may move in each other´s hexes and they battle together against their enemies. Two players, who have Diplomatic relations with each other, may agree on founding an Alliance at any time during either player’s action. They both take an Alliance Tile of one yet unfounded Alliance and place them face up next to their Player Boards. In a game of six or more players, a third player may join the Alliance if he has Diplomatic Relations with either of the two Allies and if both founders agree. You can only be part of one Alliance. At the end of the game, all players of the same Alliance will add up their points and divide them between the players. They share the win if their score is the highest and win or lose together.

greets hessi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K L
msg tools
What about something like Bang! or Werewolves?

In bang there are teams but you have to figure out your teammates through their actions.

In werewolves, werewolves are a team against everyone but there are variations where there are other teams within the villagers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.