Popular Tags: [View All]
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

In my PBEM game this situation came up: Don Carlos to marry Anna of Austria. My question is about the timing of the rerolls, does Don's ability trigger 1st then Anna's (or vice versa), or do they trigger simultaneously?

Thanks for any clarification in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Interesting that this has never come up before. I'll give poor Don Carlos a break and rule that his power is applied first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:
Interesting that this has never come up before. I'll give poor Don Carlos a break and rule that his power is applied first.

In most games Don Carlos will be out of the marriage pool before Anna of Austria shows up. In the few games remaining the HRE would need quite an incentive to pick Don Carlos over the other available males, who probably have better ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Believe me, I tried. In my game Elisabeth of Austria is betrothed to Charles IX, and when I inquire about Anna with Henry III, France says "he's busy". When talking to the Prots they are not willing to give me anything, just a straight up marriage roll. I packaged a deal for Anna with Spain for a few promises and a treasure, to avoid Anna becoming a depreciating asset with no good suitors next turn. Turns out France married off Marguerite to Henry of Navarre for apparently no consideration, and I suspect Henry will be "busy" with Louise de Coligny this coming turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raging Fury wrote:
Believe me, I tried. In my game Elisabeth of Austria is betrothed to Charles IX, and when I inquire about Anna with Henry III, France says "he's busy". When talking to the Prots they are not willing to give me anything, just a straight up marriage roll. I packaged a deal for Anna with Spain for a few promises and a treasure, to avoid Anna becoming a depreciating asset with no good suitors next turn. Turns out France married off Marguerite to Henry of Navarre for apparently no consideration, and I suspect Henry will be "busy" with Louise de Coligny this coming turn.

Marguerite to Henry of Navarre is a pretty standard match (historical too). The protestant gets +1 card and france gets 1 Valois wedding VP. If the French can get a match for Henry III thrown in it is a pretty good deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:

Marguerite to Henry of Navarre is a pretty standard match (historical too). The protestant gets +1 card and france gets 1 Valois wedding VP. If the French can get a match for Henry III thrown in it is a pretty good deal.

Which is all fine and dandy, but France was ravaged by England and Prots double team on turn 2 and started turn 3 with only 4 keys and 8VP to his name. If not for a fortunate marriage roll for the Mary Queen of Scots marriage giving him a +1 card draw he would have drawn only 3 cards. Getting nothing for that particular marriage immediately was quite baffling and didn't improve his board position much. Now it's turn 4 and we are looking at England with 20VP and Prots with a 10 card hand....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Leung
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, I don't know the full extent of the deal, so I shouldn't say they it makes no sense. France got really hosed by dice in our game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed Beach wrote:

This has happened to us. I decided unilaterally (PBeM game) that, since there was one higher die and one lower die, it should be done simultaneously. I believe it was a 4 and a 1. It was decided that both dice would be rerolled (the 4 being obligatory and the 1 being optional). In that case, it couldn't have made a difference either way.

But I'll take your suggestion in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kransman
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That seems to be the logical way to do it. Carlos rerolls the higher result (or one of them if both dice rolled the same number). At the same time, Anna has the option to reroll the other, lower result. So if the dice come up, say, 5 and 6, Carlos rerolls the 6, but Anna should probably keep the 5 since it's quite high already. If they roll 1 and 1, then they can reroll both dice and Carlos is actually getting a bonus here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.