Subject: Storage solution for hexes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I need inspiration on how to store my hexes so that they are sorted and can be stored in a snug and safe way.

Any input appreciated, I don't mind a little DIY, actually i like that

Also if theres any way of fitting the base game+ROTA in the base game box I'd love to hear about any solutions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Use baggies and a GMT counter tray, it all fits in the base game box very snugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
sylvestris wrote:
Also if theres any way of fitting the base game+ROTA in the base game box I'd love to hear about any solutions

If you take the insert out, everything fits barely in the base box.
* Take a separate box for all the upgrade ship tiles. I have a nice perspex box that also holds some other odds and ends (ancient discovery tiles, purple damage cubes, and the like).
* Bag the ships, cubes, disks and other player-specific stuff. When you start the game, give each player his own bag.
* I use a set of cube trays for the player cubes. Take out of the box, put on the player mat. Simple, easy (and relatively expensive).
*Technologies and victory tiles already have their own bags.
* Bag all the rest.
* Put everything in the box. Boards and rulebooks go on top.
It all fits. Really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
sylvestris wrote:
Hi!

I need inspiration on how to store my hexes so that they are sorted and can be stored in a snug and safe way.

Any input appreciated, I don't mind a little DIY, actually i like that

I designed this to hold all hexes in the base game, plus those in Supernova, Rise of the Ancients, and Pulsar (66 in all, I believe). It's composed of three strips of cardboard, 42mm x 265mm, vertically scored on one side (becomes the outside) every 53mm (which is 1mm larger than a hex side, for wiggle room). The scored lines are bent create a C shape, with the first segment of each C completing the sixth side of the previous hex cell. I formed them around some stacked hexes while taping each segment together. Here it is in my box:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Wood
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just a frame right? No floor so that you can just lift the frame away to get the hexes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roliander wrote:
It is just a frame right? No floor so that you can just lift the frame away to get the hexes?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias B
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all, I think i'll make something like Paul's hex storage, it looks good and seems practical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great!

I think I will build such a "device" for the too-tight Archipelago-Minitray!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whymme wrote:
[q="sylvestris"]
* I use a set of cube trays for the player cubes. Take out of the box, put on the player mat. Simple, easy (and relatively expensive).

Where do you get cube trays that fit perfectly? And did you mean relatively inexpensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume he bought something like this, as I did - there are a number of people making them for about the same price, this is just the first one that came up from Googling Eclipse cube trays.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EagleRiverGames
I would consider it relatively expensive compared to the price of the game, but marvelously convenient and simpler than having them loose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since the eagle river games cube trays don't have bottoms (your cubes rest on the mat itself), is there any way you can store the trays with the cubes in them for quicker game set up?

The other trays with the bottoms that someone else makes are ridiculously expensive. ($51 for 9 trays including shipping, $36 for 6)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:
Since the eagle river games cube trays don't have bottoms (your cubes rest on the mat itself), is there any way you can store the trays with the cubes in them for quicker game set up?

The other trays with the bottoms that someone else makes are ridiculously expensive. ($51 for 9 trays including shipping, $36 for 6)

Honestly, you're better off just getting the cheap ones with eagle river games. It doesn't take that long to put the cubes into the trays (just brush your hand over the top of the cubes until they all fall into place), and storing the trays with cubes inside them is actually more complicated/fiddly.

I bought both kinds of trays (6 with bottoms and 3 without) and I wish I'd just bought 9 trays without bottoms since they are so much easier to store (they are 1/3 as thick) and they are so much cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:

If you get the bottomless trays, you can glue on something like an overlay sheet to the bottom, making them no longer bottomless for a lot cheaper than using a piece of acrylic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Pskowski
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ATT_Turan wrote:
I presume he bought something like this, as I did - there are a number of people making them for about the same price, this is just the first one that came up from Googling Eclipse cube trays.
I would consider it relatively expensive compared to the price of the game, but marvelously convenient and simpler than having them loose.

Do you know how much they cost when in stock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narek Der-Sahakian
United States
Montrose
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
glocks4interns wrote:
ATT_Turan wrote:

Do you know how much they cost when in stock?

I believe they are $18 for 6 trays and $27 for 9.

Btw, where did you get the strips of cardboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
I will find Myntokk and I will eat him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I built this little thing. It works great. Thanks for the idea.

I will post my cube tray solution that all of you can make for .59!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dig it:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10857297#10857297

Total cost? FITTY CENT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narek23 wrote:
Btw, where did you get the strips of cardboard?

Me? I cut them out using a straightegde and an x-acto knife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G B
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
NO! I'M SPARTACUS!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just used the cardboard for the Eclipse Insert. If you need cardboard of that size, go to your local FLGS and ask for a piece of cardboard for comic shipping. It is perfect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.