Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Looking at the following card:

It's a terminal station, which should imply that it is the end of the line. However, there is an implication in the art that a train could enter that station and exit again on any of the other lines as you could have the north-south track joined inside the terminal building.

Does a route have to stop here? If it does, can it reverse back down the train line and go somewhere else?

The rules only mention the restriction on how many cards can be traversed and that you have to start/stop at stations and include a station of the company colour. They don't state whether you must stop and terminate at a terminal or central station
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
You answered your own question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Parrot
Germany
Lampertheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a rule, that says "you can use tracks twice or more but not a station"?

So I would allow to move to this "terminal station" as "middle-station".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
jond wrote:
You answered your own question

Not really, it's clear from the traditional terminology for a terminal station but the rules say nothing about being forced to use them as such. It's obvious in the yellow cards that a train must stop there and can turn around again but it's not obvious that you cannot drive straight through it in the red or blue phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
It's a terminal station, which should imply that it is the end of the line. However, there is an implication in the art that a train could enter that station and exit again on any of the other lines as you could have the north-south track joined inside the terminal building.

Does a route have to stop here? If it does, can it reverse back down the train line and go somewhere else?

The sample route in the rules goes through card 432, which is a level 2 "terminal station" card. I guess "terminal stations" are a lot less terminal once they've been upgraded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
JazzFish wrote:
Darke wrote:

The sample route in the rules goes through card 432, which is a level 2 "terminal station" card. I guess "terminal stations" are a lot less terminal once they've been upgraded.

What the hell, I looked at that example in trying to resolve a question we had over whether the number of cards or the number of 'steps' were counted for maximum path length, yet I missed that the middle station was a terminal when looking for this particular question.

Thanks for pointing that out, it looks like you can go through them (and by extension, central stations) once they are upgraded. It does add confusion to the use of the word 'terminal' though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about this station? Could a train stop here, then turn around (as suggested by the u-turn arrow in the upper right corner) and continue along a route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Logan wrote:
What about this station? Could a train stop here, then turn around (as suggested by the u-turn arrow in the upper right corner) and continue along a route?

Hm. The rules state that "Tracks without stations (my emphasis) may be used multiple times." I'd say that suggests the answer is no.

I read the "u-turn" symbol as "one way," in contrast to the "two ways" or "four ways" arrows on the through and central station cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
JazzFish wrote:
Matt Logan wrote:

Hm. The rules state that "Tracks without stations (my emphasis) may be used multiple times." I'd say that suggests the answer is no.

I read the "u-turn" symbol as "one way," in contrast to the "two ways" or "four ways" arrows on the through and central station cards.

Rulebook wrote:
• No station may be approached more than once on the route.
• Tracks without stations, however, may be used multiple times.

Honestly could be read either way. Does the track on the card count as 'track without station'? Maybe, maybe not. I'm uncertain but I think I'm personally leaning towards assuming you CAN double back and it's the station itself that is the limiting factor rather than the track. Of course unless there is a branch somewhere between that card and the next station you couldn't double back because you would then violate the 'once per station' rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Parrot
Germany
Lampertheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

the german rule says:

"• Kein Bahnhof darf innerhalb der Route mehrfach
angefahren werden.
• Ein Gleisabschnitt darf hingegen beliebig oft befahren
werden."

Translation:

- No Station may be aprroached more than once on the route.
- A Track may be used multiple times.

There is no "tracks without stations"-thing in the 2nd rule point.

So I think, following the german rule you can use the terminal station card (yellow, blue or red) as a middle station.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atair wrote:
So I think, following the german rule you can use the terminal station card (yellow, blue or red) as a middle station.

Makes sense. I'd still like to see an official ruling, but until then I guess I'll be playing it with reverses allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JazzFish wrote:
Atair wrote:

Makes sense. I'd still like to see an official ruling, but until then I guess I'll be playing it with reverses allowed.

I got some plays in with my wife, and we concluded that the terminal stations are intended to be either stop points or start points, but not through stations. That means that I also believe the one example in the rulebook has an error, as it shows a route using a terminal station as a through station.

However, we did notice that by playing with these strict rules, it's challenging to build the network in a way that allows for long train runs. I think our longest run, so far, has been 4 cards.

I will note that we are basing this assumption on the artwork and the visualization of train's ability to keep going or having to "terminate".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:
Looking at the following card:

The rules only mention the restriction on how many cards can be traversed and that you have to start/stop at stations and include a station of the company colour. They don't state whether you must stop and terminate at a terminal or central station

So to answer your original question, yes, the train would have to stop or start there. It could not pass through. You can enter or exit that station from three different sides of the card, but if you look at the artwork carefully, the three entrances into to station are curved in such a way, that there would be no "natural" way to connect any of the track inside the station.

Note: Would still like to see an official ruling from the desinger, as stated by others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.