Subject: Learning Curve rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Ikari
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, my playgroup consists of my Wife, my 9.5 year old Child, and me (occasionally we can get our 8.5 year old child who is LD to play Carcassonne).

Mostly we play Catan with fishermen, C&K, and Seafarers. (Looking forward to ordering the new Frienemies pack too!)

While we still love Catan, I think we should expand our collection a little. I am thinking of either Puerto Rico, or Agricola.

Would a nine and a half year old child be able to play either effectively?

Do either involve trading?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be rough.

Go for Stone Age instead of Agricola.

Go for maybe Finca instead of Puerto Rico.

For trading, Colosseum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is a sure winner, though there's no trading involved. I agree that PR is probably too "heavy", but Agricola should be ok if you only play the Family Game (which is included in the box). Again, no trading.

A good 2-player game will also serve you well, I believe. A current favorite is Jaipur. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I think Puerto Rico may be too dry to interest a kid.

Really depends on the 9yo for Agricola, even in the Family Game, there's a lot of room for outright failure. Not just not scoring well but "You can't feed your family, you have to take these negative VP" and once you're in that position, it's going to repeat itself.

I'd highly suggest Zooloretto, it's a nicely themed game with plenty of interesting choices and a solid amount of player interaction without becoming cut-throat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinji_Ikari wrote:
Ok, my playgroup consists of my Wife, my 9.5 year old Child, and me (occasionally we can get our 8.5 year old child who is LD to play Carcassonne).

Mostly we play Catan with fishermen, C&K, and Seafarers. (Looking forward to ordering the new Frienemies pack too!)

While we still love Catan, I think we should expand our collection a little. I am thinking of either Puerto Rico, or Agricola.

Would a nine and a half year old child be able to play either effectively?

Thanks!

I've played Risk with my wife and my son when he was 4 years old. Admittedly, he was pretty random with picking who to attack; but he enjoys rolling the dice. He's 6 years old now, and he has a better idea of what he wants to do in playing Risk.

We've gone through a lot over the past two years -- Carcassonne, Forbidden Island, Pandemic, Dominion, Ticket to Ride, Dixit ... mostly with some heavy coaching from me or mom.

Currently, my 6 year old son's favorite games are pretty wide in terms of strategic depth:

Catan: Junior
Homesteaders

I'll probably introduce him to miniatures and wargames next summer when he turns 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island and Ticket to Ride are fantastic recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ikari
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

I'll probably introduce him to miniatures and wargames next summer when he turns 7.

lol, last Christmas my Daughter and I started playing WArmachine. This Christmas she is wanting to start a Hordes faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinji_Ikari wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

lol, last Christmas my Daughter and I started playing WArmachine. This Christmas she is wanting to start a Hordes faction.

Well if that's the case, go right ahead with Agricola and Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I think Puerto Rico may be too dry to interest a kid.

It ain't just kids...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Ikari
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching some reviews on youtube I think I am going to go with Agricola. I like the idea of their being a 'Family Version' then being able to go into the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shinji_Ikari wrote:
Nope. But if you like trading you should take a look at Bohnanza.

Between Agricola and Puerto Rico I'd go with Agricola, especially with younger children. PR is pretty unforgiving of significant differences in player strength. And, as you've already found out Agricola has multiple "difficulty levels". If you can't play it yet then it won't be long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
Maybe San Juan instead of Puerto Rico? It's got a much smaller learning curve and seems to have a lot of the same feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.