Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday was the first day of viewing for my father’s funeral. During the first hour the room is reserved for just the family to so they can grieve alone for awhile.

My eleven year old niece, who deeply loved and greatly enjoyed her Pa Pa, especially going fishing with him and who is facing her first real loss to death of a loved one was inconsolable. She kept keening and begging my father to wake up. It was heartbreaking to watch and reminded me of how Jesus was touched by the grief of others.

One of the more famous verses of the Gospel is “Jesus Wept”, which many people, not knowing the context, assume is part of the crucifixion story. But it isn’t. It is part of the story of Lazarus.

So to set the scene… the sisters of Lazarus have sent for Jesus telling him that their brother is gravely ill. And yet Jesus tarries for several days before heading to Bethany. Just before they head out He tells the disciples that Lazarus has fallen asleep and they are confused, so he plainly says Lazarus has died, but I am going to wake him up.

When Jesus arrives He meets up with Martha and Mary, who in their grief say that they know if only Jesus had come sooner their brother wouldn’t have died. Jesus says your bother will rise again and Martha replies, I know that he will rise again on the last day, still not understanding what Jesus is telling her.

Upon seeing the grief of the mourners, even these sisters who have sat under his teaching for a long time and still don’t really understand … it is their grief and pain that moves Him to weep. Even though He knows He will be raising Lazarus from the dead in only a short time, their heartbreak and pain breaks His heart as well. He knows they don’t really “get it” yet. That He has come to defeat death. That He is the Resurrection and the Life and that those who believe in Him are not dead even when they die.

So after seeing my niece’s inconsolable grief yesterday, I am thinking of singing this song later today before the Rosary reading and personal memorial remembrance section of the evening instead of the one I had planned. Inspired by the story of Mary and Maratha's grief... and one that has brought me joy and comfort for 3 decades.

I hope I can find a male relative or friend to sing it as a duo with me.

More later...

PS Just a Reminder for those a bit rusty on scripture ... Jesus Raises Lazarus from the dead right after this point in the story and turns their mourning into Joy.

Praise be to God!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynette, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope that you can find peace and resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynette;

My deep sympathies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Written Hug!

It's part of life - I hope you had time to hear his stories and have closure and that the end was not too unpleasant for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so sorry Lynette. My thoughts and prayers are with you. No matter the circumstances, it is just tough to lose your Dad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sorry for your loss. My father died last year; it was very difficult for all of us. My kids have lost both great-grandfathers and my dad all in the space of a year and a half.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Condolences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Ramadanovic
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great sympathies Lynette - not much more one can say but I will be thinking of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*big hugs*

I haven't yet lost a parent so I can only imagine the loss you're feeling. If I had prayers, you'd be in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My condolences Lynette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
I'm thinking about you. Hang in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad condolences, Lynette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
My best thoughts for you and yours, Lynette.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep sympathies for you and your family, Lynette.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine what you're going through right now, truly terrible news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best wishes to you and your family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the story of Lazarus. I hope you (and your 11-year-old niece) can find peace at this challenging time. It sounds like your father was a wonderful man and will be remembered by many.....especially your niece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all so much for the love and support you have shown me this past week.

Just one example of why this is my "internet" home.

The funeral was yesterday. I have thoughts about it I plan on writing up, plus some remembrances of my Dad I want to get into writing, for both myself and for posterity. I will probably post them here as well. You RSPers are very much part of my personal/emotional family. Besides it will be full of R and S remembrances, so I can't post an unedited version anyplace else.

Love you all... more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynette, so sorry to hear of your loss. Its good that you have family around you for love and support - cherish your time with them and remember the good memories of your father.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so sorry, Lynette. I can't imagine how painful this is for you. I truly hope that peace and joy will come to you in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynette, I am so sorry for your loss. Even though you do not mourn without hope, I know the pain must be present and terrible. I pray that this time of grief passes quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing what's happening for you Lynette.
I pray that you and yours will find good ways to go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
You are among the best on RSP Lynette. I hope you will survive this tragedy. Please contact me if you need anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am late for this, but my most sincere best wishes for you and your family. If you thing some complete random stranger can do something to cheer you up, just tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm late too, best wishes Lynette. I'll have to tease you some more so you can laugh at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.