Morbo morbo
msg tools
This happened in a game and I don't know what is correct

Player one:
in hand: Brain transference, belay that, other cards

Player two: other cards

belay that (suprize):
out of turn: Cancel an action another player just played
During your turn All other players must discard one action or a random card from their hands

Brain transference (action): You and a player your choice switch seats at the table (leaving your hands). You each take over the other player's entire position in the game, as if you were in that position all along. Your turn ends immediately. The person next to the original seat goes next unless that's you, in which case the player after you new seat goes next.

What scenario is correct
Scenario 1:
Player one plays Brain transference and switches with player 2.
player two gets the hand of player one and immediately plays "belay that" to reverse the Brain transference. (it's a surprise card so it can be played out of turn)

Scenario 2:
Player one plays Brain transference and switches with player 2. Since his turn has ended immediately player 2(on the seat of player 1) can't play "belay that" since the action was in the previous turn.

So the short question is. Can the Brain transferred player immediately use the cards he receives in the switch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you have to cancel the action before it resolves. Once the players have already switched places it is too late to cancel the action any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fba827 fba827
United States
Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
I would say you have to cancel the action before it resolves. Once the players have already switched places it is too late to cancel the action any more.

I would agree with this.

The belay that is for stopping an action as it's played/being played - basically, as it's going down on the table. But if you've already switched places then the action has already occurred rather than being played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it could be played retro-actively as suggested in scenario 1, then it would also make it so that player two never got to switch places, therefore never got the 'Belay That' card, resulting in a time paradox!

So, "Cancel an action another player just played" does not mean, let the action be resolved and then reverse it, it means prevent it from being resolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morbo morbo
msg tools
Tnx for the input . It was a bit confusing during the game to resort that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.