Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read Robinson Crusoe a long time ago. There is one noted error in the book: our protagonist strips naked to swim to the ship-wreck to scavenge for supplies. He returns with pockets full of biscuits. I wonder if this found its way into the game, and if not, could it, pretty please?

It is true that there is some controversy here: did he take off all his clothes? Did he have pockets in his breeches? Were pockets sewn into clothes at this time? Regardless, this has become part of the book's lore, so it would be great to have a little naked pocket Easter egg in there.

From the New York Times, 1902:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F60612FB35...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I can think of, yet. But if the designer was not aware of this instant up to now (I know I wasn't, and I read the book as part of a study course), he certainly is now. And I would hazard a guess that you something like that could pop up in a future expansion, or promo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thread title on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Holzer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
splanchnic wrote:
pockets full of biscuits

If i remember well, than there is a starting item: cookies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Not that I can think of, yet. But if the designer was not aware of this instant up to now (I know I wasn't, and I read the book as part of a study course), he certainly is now. And I would hazard a guess that you something like that could pop up in a future expansion, or promo...

Maybe before the Zman version is released! That would be great. I'm very excited to try this game out - I really want a fun solo adventure game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Best thread title on the Geek.

Ha ha! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spy007 wrote:
splanchnic wrote:
pockets full of biscuits

If i remember well, than there is a starting item: cookies

Maybe this was a nod to the mystery of the missing pockets - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a starting item "biscuits" (in the english language version)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:

- which is probably really a hardtack (i.e. the non-cookie kind of biscuit).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

- which is probably really a hardtack (i.e. the non-cookie kind of biscuit).

See there's a lot of thematic flavour to be had here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
splanchnic wrote:
I read Robinson Crusoe a long time ago. There is one noted error in the book: our protagonist strips naked to swim to the ship-wreck to scavenge for supplies. He returns with pockets full of biscuits. I wonder if this found its way into the game, and if not, could it, pretty please?

It is true that there is some controversy here: did he take off all his clothes? Did he have pockets in his breeches? Were pockets sewn into clothes at this time? Regardless, this has become part of the book's lore, so it would be great to have a little naked pocket Easter egg in there.

Maybe 'pockets' was a euphemism? Do you really want to know where he stashed those biscuits? Probably with the watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
splanchnic wrote:

Maybe 'pockets' was a euphemism? Do you really want to know where he stashed those biscuits? Probably with the watch.

Like I say, more thematic flavour... Okay that did it... Grossed myself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
bdean152 wrote:

I.e. the correct language version. :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
bdean152 wrote:

I.e. the correct language version.

Well, the book was written in English so let's see what Defoe says:

(from the beginning of chapter 4 "First Weeks on the Island")

"...I resolved, if possible, to get to the ship; so I pulled off my clothes - for the weather was hot to extremity - and took to the water... And, first, I found that all the ship's provisions were dry and untouched by the water, and being very well disposed to eat, I went to the bread room and filled my pockets with biscuit, and ate it as I went about other things, for I had not time to lose."

So, he filled his pockets with biscuit, and later returned to shore on a raft. Whether he still had pockets or biscuit upon his return to shore is anyone's guess, I suppose.

In case anyone wants to read the original, it's in the public domain so it is freely available here:

http://www.feedbooks.com/book/102/robinson-crusoe

It's actually very good: gripping, tense, and with a thorough description of all the things Mr. Crusoe does to survive (sorry, hope that's not a spoiler ). May appeal to the survivalist in you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
he may have pulled his outer clothing off, but still had on under garments, which during those days could have pockets. So there may be no error here. If the under garments were wool rather than cotton then getting them wet wouldn't be a big deal. (when camping you want to wear synthetic materials or wool as they dry easier and wick moisture away. Wool also will manage temperature better than cotton and can keep you warm even when wet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read the book but if he does a bunch of stuff on the ship wreck one could understand filling his pockets with biscuits as some sort of metaphor for grabbing a bunch of them and then he ate them while still on the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clowntable wrote:
I haven't read the book but if he does a bunch of stuff on the ship wreck one could understand filling his pockets with biscuits as some sort of metaphor for grabbing a bunch of them and then he ate them while still on the ship.

You may be right. I think I'll have to sit down and read it again while waiting for Zman to publish the game in North America.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Murray
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's to say he didn't carry his clothes with him on the swim out to the boat, and then put them back on once aboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrohno wrote:
Who's to say he didn't carry his clothes with him on the swim out to the boat, and then put them back on once aboard?

Well, maybe we will never know... Unless I start a PhD thesis to search through Defoe's notes and journals for a clue. Unfortunately I don't have time for such diversions anymore... Just picked up the game last night! Actually it's funny, I took off all my clothes, went into my FLGS, filled my pockets with this game, and, well you know the rest of the story!

The game looks amazing - looking forward to a solo run-through tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?

The 1902 link above contains the answer to this "error". He stripped down to his breeches and socks. His breeches still had pockets. The only place the word "naked" appears is in the title of this thread, Defoe didn't use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrohno wrote:

The book says he left them on the beach, because he looks back to shore to see the rising tide starting to carry his clothes away.

Tide goes out, tide comes in, who can explain that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.