Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Dalager
Canada
Bowser
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

I've only played less than a handful games of Agricola, so in an effort to get a better understanding of the dynamics I decided to try a solo campaign. For my first game I'm to score 50 point then progress from there. Looking at the scoring system I have to be pretty much maxed out on everything to just break 50 points...

I've seen scoring on other forum chats where a stone house scored 30 points... is this an occupation I don't have?

any help for what I'm not seeing would be great!

Thanks

Shane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to get higher points, you'll definitely have to get points from improvements (major and minor), and possibly even occupations. It's definitely possible, but you might need to play a few games to get it figured out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chief lets you get an extra point per stone room, so 3 per room. And there isn't a limit on rooms, so you could build 10 rooms.. although that doesn't seem like a particularly good strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyguy001 wrote:
Hi,

I've only played less than a handful games of Agricola, so in an effort to get a better understanding of the dynamics I decided to try a solo campaign. For my first game I'm to score 50 point then progress from there. Looking at the scoring system I have to be pretty much maxed out on everything to just break 50 points...

I've seen scoring on other forum chats where a stone house scored 30 points... is this an occupation I don't have?

any help for what I'm not seeing would be great!

Thanks

Shane

You should be able to get 30 points from a stone house with EIK but I'd have to look up the cards required. You can reduce the building cost to 2w1c for clay rooms. Getting 15 stone might be tricky but with 10 stone and Chief you could build an ten room house in stone for 30 points.

You should be getting a lot of points for cards in the solo game to make sure you get past the points barriers 67 I think is the best you can do with no card support in a solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure you pick up a Well, at least one of the Joinery/Pottery/Reedery, and as many bonus point Occs/Imps as you can. The occupation that gives you a bonus point for each scorecard category you max out is clutch for solo games. You might not get them all out, but having the options will help.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
The Chief lets you get an extra point per stone room, so 3 per room. And there isn't a limit on rooms, so you could build 10 rooms.. although that doesn't seem like a particularly good strategy.

The limit on rooms is 15 (or 19 in fotm) laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bjwells wrote:
The limit on rooms is 15 (or 19 in fotm) laugh

Really? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone do anything more than seven rooms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derakon Derakon
msg tools
Making a huge stone house is one way to get lots of points, and it's certainly one of the more dramatic ways, but it's far from required. If you buy a Fireplace, the Well, the Clay Oven, the Pottery, and the Basketmaker's Workshop, then that's 11 extra points right there, even if you don't get the crafting improvements' endgame bonuses (for extra resources). And of course many minor improvements, and some occupations, also get you points.

Bryan: there's a session report detailing someone building a 11-room stone house in a "real" game (online), using only 28 actions over the course of the game and managing to win even so. They had some ridiculous combination to get the resources needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Even I've managed a 12-room house. If I can, anyone can.

However, my tips for scoring high in 1P:

d10-1 Let stuff accumulate. Don't take it until you really need it. I can't envisage many situations in a 1P game where you'd be taking fewer than 4 building resources or animals.

d10-2 Use the cards, particularly the occupations. Occupations do good stuff, and there's no competition for getting them on the table. I would look at using at least 4, probably 5, of my starting hand. Most of my solo games start Ock-Day Laborer-Ock-Day Laborer-Ock-Day Laborer-Ock-Fishing.

d10-3 On a similar note, any cards with bonus points on belong on the table, not in your hand.

d10-4 If you can't And/Or, don't do it. Don't build an oven unless you've grain to bake. Don't renovate unless you're going to plonk down a Major Improvement (or a great Minor). Don't use Plough/Sow unless you're going to do both. Don't Sow/Bake unless you're sowing plenty of fields or sowing veg & baking grain. Possible exceptions: Family Growth without a Minor improvement and Building Rooms without stables (although see next point).

d10-5 Wood is at a real premium in 1P. Consider building 3 wooden rooms, renovating and building your fourth one from clay if you've any extra source/saving of clay (Clay Deliveryman, Clay Mixer, Bricklayer etc). Ocks that save you wood (such as the Hedgekeeper) are golden. Don't spend lots of Wood on minors - you will need it for fences & stables!

d10-6 The most important advice is the same as in multiplayer games - grow your family! Quick and early! If you haven't got four (or more!) family members by the end of Round 9, then you're going to struggle.

Quote:
67 I think is the best you can do with no card support in a solo game.

70 if the cards come out in the right order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorf Quinsley
Canada
flag msg tools
One time that I commonly take a small pile of resources is:

Round 4 - grab 4 reed
Round 5 - grab 10 wood and build
Round 6 - grab 2 wood and grow, playing a minor that costs wood.

A very common way I let the resources pile-up is:

Round 7 - grab 7 clay and play Cooking Hearth or Fireplace or Clay Oven, then use the remainder to play other majors or reno in rounds 8&9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
d10-5 Wood is at a real premium in 1P. Consider building 3 rooms, renovating and building your fourth one from clay if you've any extra source/saving of clay (Clay Deliverman, Clay Mixer, Clay Supports etc). Ocks that save you wood (such as the Hedgekeeper) are golden. Don't spend lots of Wood on minors - you will need it for fences & stables!

This, this, a hundred times this. Occs and Imps that save you wood are indispensable, and a good one should be the first Occ you keep if you're playing a solo series (second should be a good bonus point Occ).

One thing I like to do if the cards allow is take 6 reed in round 6. That's two rooms and two renos (and hoping for a free fifth room or just FGWOR) so you should never need to take reed again. Plus, if you have a spare action in the final two rounds, the accumulated reed will allow you to build and max out points on the Reedery.

Another note: With five rooms, five fields, and the rest pastures, you can't max out points on animals (though you can get damn close) without an improvement that allows you to store just a bit more. As such, otherwise pretty sucky improvements can be worth a point or two; I like to have at least one available to me.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Dalager
Canada
Bowser
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks again.. I just have to play more and these are great tips!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Petersen
United States
Kearney
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great game solo. I play a series about once a week. The games get fairly routine in some aspects but it is still fun!

I deal 10 Occ/10 MI Cards and keep 7, but I only ever play one occupation per game to make it a challenge. It is not hard to get to 50--I almost always make it through four rounds and often all 7 or 8.

Take Reed and wood at round 5 and build/family growth round 6 (if possible). By then there is enough clay to renovate and build fireplace.

Extra resources are the best cards, or something that lets you amp grain or early veggies. I always get animals last round, except what I have to eat unless one of the minors gives food for having sheep around.

Toward the end, renovate and get a Basketmaker's workshop as there is usually plenty of reed to eat and score points with.

FWIW, I almost never get Well and wood is usually at such a premium that Joinery is a pipe dream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.