Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I really liked this worker placement options where you can choose to get a few cubes but pay a bit, get more but also give everyone else some or just get less cubes. Many places where you can go in this game give you options on how to do it and I really like that. However, the theme is a deal breaker to me - I do not feel like it is fun to build bombs, that's all.yuk
Are there any other games with this similar mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gorondil wrote:
So, I really liked this worker placement options where you can choose to get a few cubes but pay a bit, get more but also give everyone else some or just get less cubes. Many places where you can go in this game give you options on how to do it and I really like that. However, the theme is a deal breaker to me - I do not feel like it is fun to build bombs, that's all.yuk
Are there any other games with this similar mechanics?

Lords of Waterdeep - Not quite the same but there are events that give you stuff while giving less to others. But MP is pretty unique among worker placement games so really doesn't have an equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I see this reaction from time to time from people. When we were working on the game, we knew it would be relatively inevitable that a highly charged issue like this would be a barrier to some people.

In it's defense, I'll only say that one of the most interesting and exciting things about Manhattan Project to me is a game with a unique and different theme. We just don't see this enough in gaming. I can't tell you the number of games about building pyramids/castles/settlements/whatever I've played. To me, it's very refreshing to take something else from history, a compelling race that impacted the world in a big way, and play a game about it.

But it's entirely reasonable that the subject matter is too serious for some people. I imagine that a game about a Jewish state in Palestine or managing a disease outbreak might be similarly sensitivie for some people too...

I hear that Minion Games is working out a similar mechanical game with a very different theme though. Perhaps that will be more to your liking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we were kids, if someone had told me the number of games that I would play that had some element of building a church/cathedral, I would have laughed til I peed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
I see this reaction from time to time from people. When we were working on the game, we knew it would be relatively inevitable that a highly charged issue like this would be a barrier to some people.

In it's defense, I'll only say that one of the most interesting and exciting things about Manhattan Project to me is a game with a unique and different theme. We just don't see this enough in gaming. I can't tell you the number of games about building pyramids/castles/settlements/whatever I've played. To me, it's very refreshing to take something else from history, a compelling race that impacted the world in a big way, and play a game about it.

But it's entirely reasonable that the subject matter is too serious for some people. I imagine that a game about a Jewish state in Palestine or managing a disease outbreak might be similarly sensitivie for some people too...

I hear that Minion Games is working out a similar mechanical game with a very different theme though. Perhaps that will be more to your liking.

Thank you very much for the reply - and thanks to all others too, of course. You have a good point there, new themes are refreshing, but it not enough for me here. Which is a shame because the game looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
I can't tell you the number of games about building pyramids/castles/settlements/whatever I've played.

Also with human atrocities, but largely ignored.
Somewhat ignored in history, and nearly completely ignored in gaming.

Although on a smaller scale, certainly many games have both the development and use of smaller-scale weapons of all varieties. Is there a big difference between one weapon killing 200,000 and 200,000 weapons killing 200,000?

Not trying to attack or belittle anyone's feelings. Just curious how those who have an issue with the theme reconcile that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I notice that the poster is perhaps from Brazil. Brazil has an interesting history in nuclear weapons development. Brazil was one of the first nations to popularly reject nuclear weapons development. They had a strong program in the 50s, but the people elected officials that put an end to it.

Perhaps the objection grows from this cultural tradition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.