Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce Walton
United Kingdom
Banbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recently played WotR for the first time in decades (as posted in the Sessions forum). We wanted to use the hidden movement rules published in Moves, but in the context of a 3 player game. In order to make complex search rules more manageable, I set out to write a detailed procedure for the Search phase and the Fellowship movement phase.

The idea was to incorporate the original rules, published errata and hidden movement system into a step-by-step procedure. However, as I was doing that I came across several issues which I also wanted to address:

* Clarify the exact behaviour of Saruman and the Mouth of Sauron in the Search Phase
* Give Sauron the option of fewer Nazgul for fewer Search Points, rather than having to spend 3 or not search at all when he draws a Nazgul card
* Specify what the Saruman and Sauron players do and do not know about each others' search results
* Indicate which player gets to roll where for hidden movement through towns and on roads
* Specify where searching orcs come from (something the rule book never did)
* Tidy up sighting zone definitions
* Preventing searching orcs ending up sitting around in Gorgoroth (which we forbade them to do in the movement phase, to stop Sauron unrealistically stacking orcs all round Orodruin so the Fellowship couldn't get there)

I've now uploaded a copy of this procedure. In the uploaded version, rules which I added for the above reasons are highlighted in yellow. All other rules are from the 'primary sources', not invented by me.

Comments and debugging aree gratefully accepted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No sign of your variant rules yet but I'm looking forward to reviewing them. Hidden movement is key to making this game come alive and I'm looking forward to seeing how yours differ from the Moves variant - particularly information/search triggers. Good luck!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Walton
United Kingdom
Banbury
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's there now - feel free to give it the once over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat job - I will study this against my bodge of the Moves and original rules the next time I play. I'm engrossed in a game of the FFG version at the moment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.